Joined A Gym! - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
wmu'14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentwood, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 5,190
My Mood: Cool

Joined A Gym!


So I went and joined a gym. It was super-intimidating to do this. I had to sit n the parking lot for an hour before I was able to gain the courage to enter it and join. I'm not exaggerating - I was afraid I'd have a panic attack once I got inside.

I walked around the equipment and it was all intimidating. So I sat in the locker room for a bit.

Then I tried a treadmill for like 10 minutes and watched a few people use a couple of the machines so a few minutes after they were done I got off the treadmill and tried those machines. It wasn't hard at all. I went to a couple other machines next but couldn't figure them out. It had a diagram how to use the machine but the machine didn't match the diagram. So then I went home.

I'd say it was pretty successful actually. Yah the people in there all had perfect bodies but they minded their own business and the only staff member was working the front desk and she was very nice.

Nothing intimidating or hard at all. Got to figure out how to use some of the other equipment, and the big thing will be I can't go so late every night.

Using a cardio machine (which I'm comfortable with) first was a great idea and I owe splenddbob here for that advice.. I can do that for 10 minutes or so every time. It got me psyched to try out a machine and got me watching people use them.

I am watching YouTube videos trying to learn the equipment.

Exercising in a gym was something I've wanted to do for 10 years or so now but was always too scared to do it. I get so achey at work sitting at a computer all day and then coming home and watching TV or surfing Internet or reading. I am a string-bean too so I hope this helps with that.

I'm not exaggerating. This is Yuge for me.


__________________

The world is quiet here.
wmu'14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SO50
Posts: 6,285
My Mood: Cool
lucky you didnt fly off the treadmill like an idiot, just be careful on it next time, try not to think about it.
SFC01 is offline  
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
wmu'14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentwood, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 5,190
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC01 View Post
lucky you didnt fly off the treadmill like an idiot, just be careful on it next time, try not to think about it.
Why would a silly thing like that happen to me.

The world is quiet here.
wmu'14 is offline  
 
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SO50
Posts: 6,285
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
Why would a silly thing like that happen to me.
just dont even let it cross your mind next time, it may make you nervous and thats when accidents happen - i wish I hadnt mentioned it now.
SFC01 is offline  
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 03:38 PM
SAS Member
 
LonelyLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
I am watching YouTube videos trying to learn the equipment.
Congratulations.

Glad to hear it. If when you do your research you have specific questions, I'd be willing to help.

A lack of achievement doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of ability. A lack of ability doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of potential. - LonelyLurker
LonelyLurker is offline  
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Barbells and kittens
 
JH1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,311
Congratulations on taking the first step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
Yah the people in there all had perfect bodies
Just out of curiosity what do you consider a perfect body?
JH1983 is offline  
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
wmu'14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentwood, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 5,190
My Mood: Cool
This is huge for me. I've really actually enjoyed going and it hasn't been stressful or full of ***-hats at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC01 View Post
just dont even let it cross your mind next time, it may make you nervous and thats when accidents happen - i wish I hadn't mentioned it now.

I learned that you can start it really really really slow and then gradually get faster, then gradually slow down again.

I use the treadmill just to warm up and get those 'relaxing endorphins' into my system so I'm not anxious using the strength equipment.

Why run on a boring-*** treadmill when you can run outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyLurker View Post
Congratulations.

Glad to hear it. If when you do your research you have specific questions, I'd be willing to help.
So today when I went - my second time - watching the Youtube videos really helped. Really there's nothing much to it! I was also able to figure out a couple other machines at the gym.

Running on a treadmill first for 10 minutes or so allows me to watch people use the machines and releases those relaxing endorphins or whatever that just makes me feel less anxious when I go to the strength machines.

Someday the goal will be to progress to free weights, which is intimidating too, but for now using the machines and **** will have to work.

Another goal will be not to go at 10 or 11 at night but earlier in the evening. (Come home from work at 5, eat dinner, digest for a bit, then go at like 7 or 8 )
I feel like I'll have this goal down in a couple weeks because I'll have learned how to use a lot of the equipment by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
Just out of curiosity what do you consider a perfect body?
Oh, you know, skinny with a perfect butt and perky boobs for a girl; a guy super-buff with low body fat.

The world is quiet here.
wmu'14 is offline  
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 PM
King of Carrot Flowers
 
Alex4You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: PartyTown, USA
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 892
My Mood: Fine
Super buff = hilariously silly looking. low body fat = good. Please don't try to transform yourself into a beefy roidster. There is a line when it comes to muscle that shouldn't be crossed.

May the wind be always at your back.
Alex4You is offline  
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:20 PM
SAS Member
 
LonelyLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
So today when I went - my second time - watching the Youtube videos really helped. Really there's nothing much to it! I was also able to figure out a couple other machines at the gym.

Running on a treadmill first for 10 minutes or so allows me to watch people use the machines and releases those relaxing endorphins or whatever that just makes me feel less anxious when I go to the strength machines.

Someday the goal will be to progress to free weights, which is intimidating too, but for now using the machines and **** will have to work.

Another goal will be not to go at 10 or 11 at night but earlier in the evening. (Come home from work at 5, eat dinner, digest for a bit, then go at like 7 or 8 )
I feel like I'll have this goal down in a couple weeks because I'll have learned how to use a lot of the equipment by then.
This is all I was trying to teach you, that you have the ability to learn if you look. It's actually much better to do it this way as you can learn what works for you.

Let me suggest something else also, stop looking at this as a way to "earn" a woman, look at it as a way to improve and prove that you can conquer adversity (that's what good training really is, continuously overcoming adversity).

If you do this right you'll come to learn that hard work can make you able to achieve things you couldn't do before (as you'll get stronger), this can affect how you view the rest of your life.

Muscles aren't the only thing that can grow in a gym.

A lack of achievement doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of ability. A lack of ability doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of potential. - LonelyLurker
LonelyLurker is offline  
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
wmu'14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentwood, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 5,190
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyLurker View Post

Let me suggest something else also, stop looking at this as a way to "earn" a woman, look at it as a way to improve and prove that you can conquer adversity (that's what good training really is, continuously overcoming adversity).

If you do this right you'll come to learn that hard work can make you able to achieve things you couldn't do before (as you'll get stronger), this can affect how you view the rest of your life.

Muscles aren't the only thing that can grow in a gym.
For sure. I just sit around all day at work and then come home on computer/TV/read. (I mean I'll do body-weight exercises and ride my bike and I've run a marathon and used to swim laps and ****) But I feel so achey and get neck strain if I don't exercise and I think going to the gym will really help this. It'll really help my posture too, I think. And I did enjoy going these couple times. I do like to exercise, but it's largely been cardio outside of body-weight exercises and those only help so much.

Even joining and going a couple times is a huge accomplishment. I'd never have done that if I hadn't cured my Social Anxiety Disorder. A couple posters were saying 'wmu you haven't cured your SAD yet.' Bull****. I just went to the ****ing gym bro, something that I was so intimidated by back when I had SAD. I am accomplishing so much in the couple years I've cured my SAD.

It's frustrating as hell though it seems to be all for nought...........

The world is quiet here.
wmu'14 is offline  
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
wmu'14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentwood, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 5,190
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex4You View Post
Super buff = hilariously silly looking. low body fat = good. Please don't try to transform yourself into a beefy roidster. There is a line when it comes to muscle that shouldn't be crossed.
My goal isn't to be a body-builder. It's just to gain some weight, look like I exercise, and it's to help my achy-ness from sitting all day at work, and I'm sick of being such a string bean.

The world is quiet here.
wmu'14 is offline  
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 03:41 AM
MAGA
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,250
Congrats. Nice to hear it's working out for you and you're getting through the initial stages like it was no big deal after all. Sure there could be some bad times or days, but I found doing the weight machines helped phase out the bad memories of the day easier. Yeah, I know for me in particular with severe SA having more muscle or not has minuscule effect on dating, so early on I went mainly for the feel and the strength development and to distract after a bad day at work with *******s. And after a while of routine it actually can get addictive where you can feel the itch to go like missing out if you didn't get the routine done for the night. Nope, I never used 'roids, but I did use those creatin supplement pills and muscle 'milk'. I can say it's helped with "lifting" groceries, "pushing"&lifting to move furniture when needed, easier to swing my tennis racquet etc, and probably just general toning which probably helps as one ages.
railcar82594 is offline  
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 03:45 AM
SAS Member
 
onthespectrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: EST
Gender: Female
Age: 27
Posts: 187
My Mood: Sleepy
You should do 30 minutes on the treadmill or 30 minutes of cardio! Soooo much research out there that 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week significantly reduces anxiety! Also, you can go back to the 10 minute intervals after you reach the 3 times a week 30 minute non stop goal has worked wonders for me



Both a Sufferer and Conquerer, Here to help in any way I can
onthespectrum is offline  
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
wmu'14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentwood, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 5,190
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by railcar82594 View Post
Congrats. Nice to hear it's working out for you and you're getting through the initial stages like it was no big deal after all. Sure there could be some bad times or days, but I found doing the weight machines helped phase out the bad memories of the day easier. Yeah, I know for me in particular with severe SA having more muscle or not has minuscule effect on dating, so early on I went mainly for the feel and the strength development and to distract after a bad day at work with *******s. And after a while of routine it actually can get addictive where you can feel the itch to go like missing out if you didn't get the routine done for the night. Nope, I never used 'roids, but I did use those creatin supplement pills and muscle 'milk'. I can say it's helped with "lifting" groceries, "pushing"&lifting to move furniture when needed, easier to swing my tennis racquet etc, and probably just general toning which probably helps as one ages.
I think some of the 'no big deal' is that I'm going to late. I don't want to go so late forever. Eventually I'll want/need to go at about 7pm-ish.

I agree on it being great for 'feel' and development. It is relaxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthespectrum View Post
You should do 30 minutes on the treadmill or 30 minutes of cardio! Soooo much research out there that 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week significantly reduces anxiety! Also, you can go back to the 10 minute intervals after you reach the 3 times a week 30 minute non stop goal has worked wonders for me
Why? I am trying to gain some weight. I feel like I don't really need to work on cardio as much. I have a 'runner's body' where I can just go out and run a few miles fairly easily. I have history of running a marathon, track and cross country in high school, biking, and even some swimming laps.

I don't mind doing a 10 minute warm-up run on the treadmill or exercise bikel, but I didn't join the gym to do that and don't want that to be my focus. If I want some cardio, I'll run outside or ride my bike.

Sorry for sounding like I'm slapping you in the face, because I appreciate any and all responses.

The world is quiet here.
wmu'14 is offline  
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Barbells and kittens
 
JH1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,311
Make sure you step up your calorie intake. You can't grow if you don't eat enough. A lot of people overestimate how much they eat, too. Best to track your calories.
JH1983 is offline  
post #16 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
wmu'14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentwood, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 5,190
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
Make sure you step up your calorie intake. You can't grow if you don't eat enough. A lot of people overestimate how much they eat, too. Best to track your calories.
Yes, I'm already seeing that's going to be an issue..................I just don't have the body for this ****.

The world is quiet here.
wmu'14 is offline  
post #17 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Tired
 
SplendidBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Language: English
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
Yes, I'm already seeing that's going to be an issue..................I just don't have the body for this ****.
nope, its np wmu, just do what @JH1983 says, go to myfitnesspal.com and log your calories every day, it takes 2 minutes once you are up and running and have your regular meals set in. If you don't have the caloric surplus it isn't going to work.

2 things:

1. The weight you are lifting goes up over time
2. You have a very slight caloric surplus

then you gain muscle. When your body fat gets too high, you keep training and switch to a deficit, rinse and repeat. There isn't any point in being one of those guys who goes to the gym, doesn't do this and just lifts the same weight forever.

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
SplendidBob is offline  
post #18 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
wmu'14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentwood, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 5,190
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
nope, its np wmu, just do what @JH1983 says, go to myfitnesspal.com and log your calories every day, it takes 2 minutes once you are up and running and have your regular meals set in. If you don't have the caloric surplus it isn't going to work.

2 things:

1. The weight you are lifting goes up over time
2. You have a very slight caloric surplus

then you gain muscle. When your body fat gets too high, you keep training and switch to a deficit, rinse and repeat. There isn't any point in being one of those guys who goes to the gym, doesn't do this and just lifts the same weight forever.
I'll have to eat non-stop. Keep in mind how much I have to eat just to maintain my scrawniness. I am the runt in the litter. I was scrawny compared to other kids even though I ate more then they did and before they started to lift. And if I eat non-stop, will the gains be worth it?
Posted via Mobile Device
wmu'14 is offline  
post #19 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
wmu'14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentwood, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 5,190
My Mood: Cool
I definitely need to cut the cardio
Posted via Mobile Device
wmu'14 is offline  
post #20 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:38 PM
Barbells and kittens
 
JH1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
Yes, I'm already seeing that's going to be an issue..................I just don't have the body for this ****.
I know all too well. I'm eating 4000+ calories a day just to maintain my weight.

Just some tips:

Shakes are a must between meals. Not just protein powder, but stuff like whole eggs, oatmeal, olive oil (120 calories per tablespoon), peanut butter, fruit and veggies, Greek yogurt, milk, etc. It's easy to make two 1000 calorie shakes and get them down between meals.

Start small and build onto your meals. Like 3 regular meals and add something small to them a little at a time. A serving of peanuts, a banana, a glass of milk or whatever you can get down easily. Build your meals up and eventually start adding a fourth or fifth meal or whatever works for you. Cereal is good, too. Easy to get down. If I get behind or just struggling to get in calories I'll get up in the night and eat a few bowls with a glass of milk.

Tracking your calories is a must. Eating until you're full isn't going to cut it. Set your calorie goals and reach them. Get your gram or gram and a half of protein per pound of bodyweight and fill the rest with whatever ratio of fat and carbs works for you. Personally super high carb makes me really bloated, so I go a little higher on fat. I'll do cheat weekends sometimes, too. Not where I eat more, but eat less. Not so much less it sets me back though. I'll eat whatever I want and quit when I get full. Good for a mental break from constant eating.

First thing you need to do is figure out what it takes to maintain your weight and start eating about 500 calories over that every day. You'll have to adjust occasionally as you gain weight. Don't say you don't have the body for it, you can get used to it if you want it bad enough.
JH1983 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just applied for uni & joined a gym IwannaMoveAway Positive Thinking 7 06-16-2017 01:19 AM
I joined a gym Erin or Not Triumphs Over Social Anxiety 2 08-12-2016 04:20 PM
If you feel crappy go the gym. CopadoMexicano Positive Thinking 20 02-26-2016 12:40 PM
About to go to gym for first time ever green9206 Frustration 10 02-07-2016 11:50 AM
Going to the gym Taylor K Coping With Social Anxiety 6 12-28-2015 08:30 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome