It's not much, but... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

It's not much, but...

I finally got in touch with my therapist again. I had sent her an e-mail and she called me. So now I have an appointment in two weeks...yay...I think? No but seriously, I need to talk to someone, I've been feeling pretty bad for some time now. I had hoped she would just reply to my email because I didn't really want to talk over the phone, but I'm actually kind of glad she called anyway...

I also made a phone call to an employer about internship. She couldn't say anything definitve, but she would get back to me as soon as she knew. For me though, the big victory was just making that damn phone call...

Small steps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Merry whatever

Good for you!
Alot of people here, myself included, find it very difficult to make a phone call no matter how beneficial it is for us. I'm glad you summed up the courage to make contact with a potential employer and your therapist.
Good luck with your job hunting!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks! Well, considering the level I'm at right now, I guess I have to embrace every little success I have.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Hope you get what you needs out of if xxx

If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom.

What other people think of you is none of your business
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thank you, I hope so too!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:15 PM
SAS Member

I hope the therapist is kinda and can help you feel better.

I wish you luck with the internship too. I know how difficult it is to talk on the phone so that is a real positive step.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisby View Post
I hope the therapist is kinda and can help you feel better.

I wish you luck with the internship too. I know how difficult it is to talk on the phone so that is a real positive step.
Thanks! My therapist called me yesterday to make sure I was ok until our meeting, I guess she was a bit alarmed by my e-mail. It wasn't really my intention, but there you go. It was nice of her to call though.

I don't have any real hopes for that internship though. They sounded pretty sure they had nothing, but they would check just to confirm. It's ok, I have other things to look into.

I'm so tired of this life! I really do need a new start.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM
SAS Member

Just keep on trying. Be persistent. Sometimes that alone will get your foot in the door.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

It's been just over a year since I starded this thread, so I thought I would update.

Since late april, I'm technically not unemployed anymore. It's not a real job, but at least I have something to do during the days, and an excuse to get out of my apartment and meet people. I even get some money for it. But it's not enough to support myself, and it's only temporary anyway, so I'll have to move on to something else soon.

It has been very positive for my social development though. When I started there, I was very quiet and awkward. But after a while, I started to relax and open up more. I can now say that, allthough I'm still a bit shy, I participate as much in the socializing and friendly bantering as anyone else. My confidence in my social ablities has improved a lot. I've even been praised by the manager for my transformation.

But while my shyness issues have subsided significantly, I'm still struggling with depression and a more generalized type of anxiety. The depression sucks all joy out of life and makes it difficult to really enjoy stuff, and the anxiety sneaks into every aspect of life and makes me obsess about every f***ing thing that can go wrong. So basically, I rarely enjoy things nowadays, and I never seem to be able to relax.

On the positive side though, I'm at least functioning. I can pretend that I'm ok for most of the day. I'm able to fix the problems that come up, even though they shake me up really badly and I really just want to run and hide. I had to make an important phonecall this morning, for a money related issue. I realized that last night, and it ruined most of my evening and a great deal of my sleep. But at least I made the call and fixed the issue. I hate making phonecalls, but I can do them if I really have to.

In januari I have an appointment with a psychiatrist. It's my first time seeing a psychiatrist and I really hope something good will come out of that. So I guess compared to last year, although things are still shaky, I've taken a few steps forward.

Merry Christmas to anyone who's reading!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Just a survivor

Merry Christmas to you too!

I am glad to hear that you too are generally quite optimistic in life and are taking steps to better yourself. I am the same, making gradual process and although things arnt quite 100% yet, all we can do is do our best in life.

Keep going forward and you'll get there

Don't pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one-Bruce Lee
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thank you!

I hope you have the strenght to continue your improvement until you're happy with yourself, whether it's 100% or not. You're right we can only do our best.

Good luck!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I guess this is progress...

I talked to a psychiatrist today. My psychiatric evaluation has officially ended. It was a very short one indeed. The psychiatrist feels that there's absolutely nothing wrong with my mental health. She said I don't qualify for any psychiatric diagnosis what so ever at this point. I asked her specifically about my original diagnosis, Avoidant Personality Disorder, which was given to me by a psychologist. But she doesn't think I have a personality disorder either. Even the slight depression I have is apparently a completely healthy reaction to the fact that I'm not living a life I'm happy with.

So now I guess I just need to change my life...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 06:15 PM
SAS Member

Well done OP Your progress is like a candle that gives light to others on this forum! I wish to see us all succeed !
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thank you! I suppose it's possible that I was previously misdiagnosed, and that my progress was esier simply because I didn't have as severe symptoms as others do. But right now I'm just happy that I'm considered mentally healthy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page