I spoke up at work today - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I spoke up at work today

Today was my 30 day review for my new promotion at work. The owner of the company mentioned my raise, and I was able to speak up for myself and let him know that if its only going to be 50 cents more an hour for a lot more responsibility that I'd need a day or two to think about taking the promotion.

Within an hour, he called me up to his office. He said they were in complete agreement that I was doing an amazing job, and they did not want to see me leave the position. Then he said, "How much do you want?"

I wasn't greedy. I humbly asked for $1 an hour more and right away, he said, "No problem."

It may not seem like a big deal, but I am very proud of myself for being able to speak up for myself. I honestly don't know where the courage came from, but it feels really good to be rewarded for my efforts.

Had I been doing a poor job, or even a mediocre job during my first 30 days of the promotion, I would not have went for it. I am just happy and proud of myself for my small triumph over my SA and wanted to share it. Perhaps it will motivate someone else to do the same.

Life doesn't have to be perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:39 PM
SAS Member

Nice going and congrats on your promotion.

We've all got a little bit of royal blood in our veins, we're all in line for the succession, and if nineteen million, four hundred thousand, two hundred and eight people die, I'll be king tomorrow. It's not very likely but its a nice thought and helps keep me going.

P.COOK

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Big Boo's Haunt

Congrats and great work speaking up

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:09 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Whoo!!

・*:.。☆Happy New Year 2017*。.:*・
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 03:06 PM
SAS Member

Language: C++, Java, Python
Congrats! Well-earned!

Uh, imagine a dark alley, and you see, you see someone come up behind you. You start walking faster, you don't know who it is. You turn around, it's just you. It's you, you're the shadow
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 01:55 AM
SAS Member

Congratulations on standing for yourself!
Good thing you made them appreciate your work and commitment =)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 02:19 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch428 View Post
Today was my 30 day review for my new promotion at work. The owner of the company mentioned my raise, and I was able to speak up for myself and let him know that if its only going to be 50 cents more an hour for a lot more responsibility that I'd need a day or two to think about taking the promotion.

Within an hour, he called me up to his office. He said they were in complete agreement that I was doing an amazing job, and they did not want to see me leave the position. Then he said, "How much do you want?"

I wasn't greedy. I humbly asked for $1 an hour more and right away, he said, "No problem."

It may not seem like a big deal, but I am very proud of myself for being able to speak up for myself. I honestly don't know where the courage came from, but it feels really good to be rewarded for my efforts.

Had I been doing a poor job, or even a mediocre job during my first 30 days of the promotion, I would not have went for it. I am just happy and proud of myself for my small triumph over my SA and wanted to share it. Perhaps it will motivate someone else to do the same.
Congrats!! your story definitely is inspiration...i have to remember to speak up for what i want/deserve.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 02:38 PM
SAS Member

Congratulations! That's great news. It's really helpful of you to share that story because it could be inspiring. I hope the job continues to go well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:21 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Thumbs up

Congrats
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:25 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch428 View Post

That's not easy to do. It would make a lot of people nervous.

You were confident enough to speak up - well done .

$1 an hour adds up - that's $160 more a month, and $1.50/hr extra if you have overtime!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page