Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

I moved on from a toxic friend (not my fault)

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  meggiehamilton 
#1 ·
I just got over a so-called toxic friend I talked to about once a week and was friends with for over a year. I can breathe now the last couple of days, since I said some rude things to her in which she deserves. I been too nice to her as she was to me (I was a great listener). She was "very nice" in fact then isn't. Of all the calls we made, she always, always talked about herself first and last. Hardly ever asking about me, my interests, complaints, vents, etc. She had asked about them to me but in these calls, her mood changes and suddenly she doesn't want to hear anything about me. She take words from me that I have used against her, trying to think smart but sound dumb and immature. She was quite a mouthful and earful, venting the most and being self centered and obnoxious. Unfortunately she is getting older and I don't care much of what kind of a person she might turn into a year from now or later. I doubt she will succeed at anything she tries b/c she keeps on reinforcing self destructive behaviors, leaving her void of feelings of needs and wants (I learned she had a great deal of codependence). She does not do well in relationships with others and uses others heavily for her problems. She will latch onto the next friend with her toxic behaviors and drain the life out of them. The experience has drained my energy and mind. I have moved on and have taken all this as a learning experience in being careful with future friends like her. It hasn't diminished my self esteem or self worth. My anxiety is doing very well right now and I got my mind set on goals to complete and hanging out with friends who are interested in me as I am to them. I learn to choose my friends wisely but sometimes I don't know who I might get to know. I caution myself >>> Don't take any responsibility or any loyalties for anyone I talk to. They can't control me. Only I control what I want. And if they don't listen, move on and meet someone who understands. :) :banana

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't need friends like that. They only bring you down and suck the life out of you. I think you made the right decision. Good for you! :banana

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.