I kind of stepped outside the box yesterday - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I kind of stepped outside the box yesterday

I had set a mission for myself to see my favourite band two nights in a row and meet them on the second night. I originally wanted my mom to be near me the majority of the time, freaked out when she decided at the last minute that she prefers to just not be there for the stuff, only getting me 1 VIP ticket. Heart was pounding, mind was racing, thinking over the event for about a couple months. It was sort of a Christmas present to myself though.

But I looked at it as a challenge for myself and I wanted to tell them what I didn't on their previous tour. I was completely frozen in my mind with that particular meet&greet so only really knodded in agreement back then(4 years ago). So the concert part of it I could handle, first night was good and my brother sat next to me up high in the balcony. Then I sat by myself in the second row from the stage for the second night. My mom came with me to that show but she had to sit about 7 rows back from me

After a great performance... I felt my anxiety kick in because I had to wait near the front of the venue for the band to be ready for the meet&greet. I thought I could do that on my own but I was so nervous about talking to the band that my mom ended up coming in with me to meet them. She asked for permission beforehand and they had no problem with it. And to make it more interesting I was second in line.

I made a note to them of what I wanted to say and contructed a little book to place it inside of out of foam paper with a gold ribbon tied around it to keep it shut. I tell you that was the most amazing meet&greet I had. I actually managed to say a few sentences to them(I figured it stop after "Hello") and my note was read by the lead singer.

What it had consisted of was that I told them about my anxiety I have to deal with and how that whole experience was a challenge for me. Just spread some awareness about it to them.

After he read it, he totally totally understood it that he gave me a hug and when they signed a book for me. He said there is so much stigma attached to it and thanked me for the nice note and loved the booklet I made. Before leaving the room he said to me "You seem to be handling it quite well". Which was kind of half true but made me feel so good on the inside.

I did do way better than I had imagined and I just wanted to share that since I had good cry when I came back home. A good kind of cry, more of a "wow, did I really do that earlier, that was awesome" lol

"Life is waiting for you, it's all messed up but we'll survive." - Life by Our Lady Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:45 AM
got a hennesy in my hand

My Mood: Breezy
That's amazing, sounds like a definite triumph to me!! Just curious, what band was it?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 AM
SAS Member

that's great
well done for doing that

I am going to completely work on making myself happy.

“Fear can make you do more wrong than hate or jealousy. If you're afraid you don’t commit yourself to life completely; fear makes you always, always hold something back.”

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensa View Post
That's amazing, sounds like a definite triumph to me!! Just curious, what band was it?
It was Our Lady Peace that I saw and yea, I'm so happy to have done that, I got thinking at the last minute before heading to the venue again. That I can't do it at all, anxiety is just too great but I sort of got my anxiety attack out before I left. And it worked

I think it was also because a far away friend of mine who I chatted online for a short time beforehand. Left me kind of annoyed so I went to the show telling myself "...well... at least I have my fav band to listen to for the next 3hrs". I'm still not happy[with my friend] but I can't get the meet&greet out of my head. They were so super understanding about it. I will be looking forward to the next time we meet.. maybe i'll be more chatty on the next tour.

"Life is waiting for you, it's all messed up but we'll survive." - Life by Our Lady Peace
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Doing my best

cool, that sounds like an excellent experience, glad it went so well for you. hope you get to meet em again!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page