I arranged to meet an old friend - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Talking

I arranged to meet an old friend

The worst aspect of my anxiety is that it turned me into a hermit and my social group finally got sick of me rejecting their invitations to go out and do things. As a result I am a really lonely guy nowadays and it's taking a big toll on my mental health.

Well yesterday I got a strange urge, I just thought "**** it" and texted a guy that I used to hang out with all the time before my anxiety problems became severe. I was honest in my text, told him I'd avoided people for a while now because personal issues were taking their toll and making me depressed. I got a text about 15 minutes later asking if I wanted to go round his house on Saturday night to just watch some Netflix, order some food and chill out. I panicked a little but I decided to respond straight away before the anxiety could build up.

So there we go, I have something to do on a Saturday night for the first time in months! A small thing to some but a big thing for me. I'm hoping that I can get comfortable talking to him and then eventually when I am ready arrange to meet some of the people he hangs around with these days. I'm nervous as hell but excited at the same time. I know conversation will be awkward on my end at first but he's a great conversationalist, he's one of those people that can talk to anyone about anything, a quality of his I always envied.

So anyway, just thought I'd share this small achievement. Anxiety can be beaten, we just need to take it one small step at a time and keep expanding our comfort zones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:36 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Good job putting yourself out there and going out. Hope it goes well. Perhaps have a drink or 2 to relax a bit and maybe the conversation will go smoother. Just a thought

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page