Full Recovery? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Full Recovery?

I was wondering if anyone knows or have heard of someone with severe social anxiety completely recovering from it. Is this something that can be reversed(like heart disease, for example)?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:49 AM
SAS Member

I don't believe that's possible. Unless your SA doesn't have any genetic roots which is probably only for like 4-5% of SA sufferers. I used to listen to some podcasts where the main presenter was the one who claimed that he overcame it completely. However, it's just an assumption since I haven't seen him in public and I have no idea how he behaves.

Just by looking at it from a logical point of view, I doubt that it's possible. It's a mental health issue, it's not that you have a rotten tooth and you get it removed, that's it. All these mental health issues get triggered by the environment, that's why I believe it's just not possible to completely get rid of it. It's programmed way to deeply.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:56 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
I don't think its possible to get cured 100 percent. Mental health is not as straight forward as fixing a broken arm. Their are treatments for social anxiety but medication is only about 60 percent effective and has side effects a lot of the times. Talk therapy also has about a 60 percent success rate.

So none of our current treatments are a cure all. At best you can improve and improve quite a bit. But I don't think you can get cured completely. Im a lot better then I was at my worst but still no where near cured

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 01:29 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Hi there

I made a recovery. I will say "recovery" because my personal standard of recovery has been met and I'm happy with that. I wanted to be able to work and survive in life. That's what was important.

What I learnt was that Language and how people classify health conditions can have a strong impact on recovery and how to respond in the first place. I also think modern psychiatry needs improvement.

Regarding your post you need to specify what you mean by "full recovery".

Everyone's situation is different.

I've also seen unfortunately that people bring criteria that doesn't really belong into social anxiety. By this I mean making problems out of normal human nature. Examples:

People bring up dating a lot. It's a separate issue.

Some people bring up their natural sense of modesty as a problem without realising they have no problem.

I hope that helps.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 07:10 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
Yes you can recover and even cure,its just another limiting belief to say you cab not cure...i know people who have cured themselves,meaning they don't feel any anxiety they used to feel
when in social situations.
Sa is just a string of negative beliefs and emotions whe have programmed in our minds at one point in our lives.

Our minds are a computer that can be reprogrammed, that's all

Now to get rid of the negative programs can be very difficult,but it can be done for sure,as long as you're willing to believe you can,you can cure from anything
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 03:43 AM
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!

I'm on generic effexor and it works! Being a pretty potent anti-depressant it's to be expected but it's balanced my emotions out. Missing a dose or two however is trippy because I can hear my eyeballs move!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 07:25 AM
Ad astra per aspera.

Depends upon a great many things- what exactly it is you're calling social anxiety (the social aspect of many mental health issues- pd's, trauma, depression, attachment and developmental disorders, etc.- often gets thrown into the great monolith that is social anxiety,) if you're having issues with executive functioning and motivation, how much discomfort you can tolerate, how much support you have and its quality, etc. The case will be different for everyone. I think it's accurate to assume that the later on in life you developed it (not realized what it was lol, actually developed it,) particularly the further outside of your early upbringing, the more likely you are to get past it. It's the **** that's deeply rooted and long standing that seems to take forever to move beyond.

Miles to go before I sleep. Vale.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 02:11 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWater View Post
Depends upon a great many things- what exactly it is you're calling social anxiety (the social aspect of many mental health issues- pd's, trauma, depression, attachment and developmental disorders, etc.- often gets thrown into the great monolith that is social anxiety,) if you're having issues with executive functioning and motivation, how much discomfort you can tolerate, how much support you have and its quality, etc. The case will be different for everyone. I think it's accurate to assume that the later on in life you developed it (not realized what it was lol, actually developed it,) particularly the further outside of your early upbringing, the more likely you are to get past it. It's the **** that's deeply rooted and long standing that seems to take forever to move beyond.
That's a very good post. Mental health issues are so complicated - sometimes it's hard to know where to even start with treating them. I know mine seem to be getting more complicated as I get older - and they all sort of feed into each other. It's horrible.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Moron

Usually when people recover it's from generalized anxiety. A lot of people who think they have SA actually have GA which is more treatable than SA. SA is a personality trait.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page