For those who feel they'll always be alone - Read me!! - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
SAS Member

I think what the naysayers are missing is the belief that things can get better. However, this seems to be a front more than anything because they wouldn't be on this forum (especially Triumphs) if deep down they didn't have some type of hope. What I think it really is is a cry for attention - "hey, you have had some success, but that doesn't mean I will! In fact, I will never succeed!". What is someone supposed to say to that? I don't blame people with SA for being cynical as hell, but there's absolutely zero chance of recovery if you don't have a slight bit of optimism and the ability to appreciate even the tiniest of victories. Just because you think you have it worse than another person doesn't mean you are **** out of luck. I used to think I had it the worst, but at 24 I grew sick and tired of being miserable and used that tiny drop of hope I had deep down to change my life around, starting one fateful night when I went, feeling friendless and alone, to a bar - by myself - and refused to leave without a number. You truly never know when things will change for the better, and you may be in a situation where no one will help you towards that goal. I was, and I had to do something about it myself.

Congrats TC, keep us updated on the situation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymo View Post
I think what the naysayers are missing is the belief that things can get better. However, this seems to be a front more than anything because they wouldn't be on this forum (especially Triumphs) if deep down they didn't have some type of hope. What I think it really is is a cry for attention - "hey, you have had some success, but that doesn't mean I will! In fact, I will never succeed!". What is someone supposed to say to that? I don't blame people with SA for being cynical as hell, but there's absolutely zero chance of recovery if you don't have a slight bit of optimism and the ability to appreciate even the tiniest of victories. Just because you think you have it worse than another person doesn't mean you are **** out of luck. I used to think I had it the worst, but at 24 I grew sick and tired of being miserable and used that tiny drop of hope I had deep down to change my life around, starting one fateful night when I went, feeling friendless and alone, to a bar - by myself - and refused to leave without a number. You truly never know when things will change for the better, and you may be in a situation where no one will help you towards that goal. I was, and I had to do something about it myself.

Congrats TC, keep us updated on the situation!
I agree. And I'm the same way, I make excuses for everything and have no optimism 99% of the time. I guess I got caught off guard when I saw a few of the negative comments. I wasn't trying to shove it in anyone's faces... I wanted to contribute to a section of the forum that I found inspiring so that hopefully, even if it's just for a few minutes, I could give a drop of hope to someone out there.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:42 AM
SAS Member

I proud of you bro keep it up man! I think you shouldnt put all your hopes and dream into one basket thought. You should make another female friend

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 12:33 PM
SAS Member

To all the naysayers: Come on people. This folder is called 'Triumps over social anxiety.' Let a success story inspire you for once. And if you're unable to be inspired then maybe you'd do well to stay away from this folder if these kinds of posts aggravate you. Being cynical is fine, and there are plenty of other folders for that. But don't pick apart someone's post who just wants to share his success and encourage others.

I know that it encouraged me -- shows that there's always hope! Thanks blackbird!!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks everyone!! It didn't end up working out in the end, but I'm looking at the positive aspect in the fact that I reconnected with someone and I also learned some valuable lessons from the experience. If anything, I forced myself into a social situation that was very difficult for me and it's something to be proud of I suppose.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 PM
()

I am very happy for you, and this made me hopeful as well.
Thank you.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:37 PM
SAS Member

thats awesome man
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:20 PM
SPC
SAS Member

My Mood: Stressed
you are a good example to follow man. +1

"We need compassion to help ourselves get started, and enlightened self-interest to get ourselves serious"

-Paul Collier
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:40 PM
SAS Member

This is like majorly AWESOMELYFUL dude. Congratulations!

I now believe with all my being that my soulmate HAS to be out there somewhere, some special luminous lady that I was meant to merge with in an eternal, glorious union of mind, body and soul. We might have lost track of each other in previous incarnations, but in this one I intend to move heaven and earth in my quest to reunite us. Who knows, she could be living in my neighborhood right now. If my karmic portfolio is in order, I might meet her today!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page