Exercise is Key! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
blessed with lucky sevens

Exercise is Key!

I just bought a mountain bike the other day and have been riding so much that now after day 4 my muscles are so sore all over that I must rest up.

Anyway, rigorous daily exercise and a healthy lifestyle is what will ultimately help me get over this cr*p. It's very good.

It's weird how I feel after exercise, I used to get this way after I'd come back from skating too. I just feel all confident and happy and an 'I don't give a f**k' attitude is present. It really is an awesome thing. Must be all those released endorphins and stuff.

Exercise > Meds imo.
CBT + Exercise + Healthy Lifestyle = WIN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:04 AM
PASTAMANIA BROTHER

I can relate to this. Usually after I exercise or do something physically intense, I feel a lot more open and energetic. I think complete lack of energy on most days is one reason I'm the way I am.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:42 PM
SAS Member

I never really thought exercise was a big deal for mood until I missed like three days in a row and felt like total crap, I love working out! I feel great the whole day. It's funny that working out really hard makes you more energetic...

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 PM
SAS Member

It's very true. Ever since I started working out alot. I've done alot of things I never thought I could do. I find it easier to accpet challenges and push myself because of it. I feel more confident in the way I look and calmer.

No chains on my feet but Im not free- Bob Marley
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:19 PM
insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibes View Post
I just bought a mountain bike the other day and have been riding so much that now after day 4 my muscles are so sore all over that I must rest up.

Anyway, rigorous daily exercise and a healthy lifestyle is what will ultimately help me get over this cr*p. It's very good.

It's weird how I feel after exercise, I used to get this way after I'd come back from skating too. I just feel all confident and happy and an 'I don't give a f**k' attitude is present. It really is an awesome thing. Must be all those released endorphins and stuff.

Exercise > Meds imo.
CBT + Exercise + Healthy Lifestyle = WIN!
I cycle a lot too. Totally love it.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Shift Happens

you're absolutely right. I'm starting to go out rollerblading and running during the night. One day i'll have the confidence to go during the day!

“You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore”
- Christopher Columbus
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Exercise is fantastic! I do have to force myself to go to the gym but once I'm there and finished, I feel great.

Yoga is what's helping me with SA.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
SAS Member

I've been going to the gym for the last month and absolutely love the challenge aspect of strength training! It's great to have goals and to shoot for something! Supposedly, exercise is good for stress too but I really haven't noticed a difference. However, sometimes I’m stressed at work and can’t wait to pound the hell out of a few dumbbells!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
SAS Member

Right after I exercised I met my new roommate. I think exercising helped me feel more calm during that situation. It helped me let go of some pent up anxiety and frustration.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:58 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
Acclaimed author and psychologist Tal Ben Shahar (you may have heard of him as the "happiness professor" who teaches the most popular course at Harvard; and he wrote "Happier" and "The Pursuit of Perfect", which I highly recommend) sez he would flat out refuse to treat someone who wasn't exercising regularly. That's the absolute minimum we should be doing that will bring us up to baseline before further improvements can be made. It's how we've been wired since cavemen days where physical exertion was a necessary and daily ordeal.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:37 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
My piano teacher was just telling me today that I had to look for some sort of relaxing physical exercise to help with the anxiety.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 PM
SAS Member

I started going to the gym regularly in May this year (doing cardio and strength training). I usually go with my boyfriend as I could not face going alone. However, last week, I have conquered that and made it to the gym twice on my own!!

Anyway, that said, although I am glad I am exercising for my physical health, I don't get that elated, energized feeling afterwards. I do get a bit of a sense of accomplishment and I'm glad I'm doing it but that's about it... It has not helped my SA.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 PM
SAS Member

my take on this is that you should depend on physical shape to feel good but it DOES make you feel really good

"Identity Level Change; Total Self Trust and Never Looking Back"

Add me on Facebook: Gary Uranga

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Permanently Banned

Exercise helps a lot. It's been more effective than most of the pills I've taken. It also boosts confidence because when you demonstrate more control over your own health and body, you may feel more confident that you can have more control over other things.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
UnDeRrAtED

Exercise made me more depressed. Im not sure if the exercise is fighting it but i ended up feeling less invigorated and tired.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 PM
SAS Member

Exercise benefits most in moderation.

A 45 minute brisk walk is enough to suffice for most. Don't overdo it. Don't underdo it.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 PM
SAS Member

Totally agree! I just got back from swimming and lifting weights at the gym and my mood is better and my self-esteem has practically doubled!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:50 PM
SAS Member

I love swimming. Exercise is a big key.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:27 AM
SAS Member

Release of dopamine and Seratonin, comparable to a drug fix. To get this feeling you have to really go at it with everything you have, to the point where lactic acid slows you down feels best. I find swimming, jogging or kickboxing are bestat acheiving this in my opinion.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:29 AM
SAS Member

For a while you feel invincible and a lot of that lasts throughout the day but not all of it. I just wish I had that feeling STRAIGHT after doing it for the rest of my life.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page