Decided to socialize a lot today.
So I've been making small progress with my SA lately and today I decided to just go all out and interact with tons of people. To help myself be more confident, I pretended that I was doing it as a social experiment and I imagined myself being recorded on camera while I was doing it - so I felt like I was acting.
Things I did:
- Greeted at least 50 people that I walked by throughout the day.
- Sat next to strangers and made small talk/joked with them.
- Played funny music loudly and sang/danced in my car in the parking structure while students walked by towards their classes (pokemon theme song, lion king soundtrack, staying alive by the beegees, etc).
- Walked up to a group of 20+ girls that were all standing in a group near a fountain (I assume for a class) and asked if any of them wanted to get some ice cream with me. I made sure to be really blunt to the point of being awkward. One of them said yes and gave me her number, a few of them said no thanks like they were uncomfortable, and most of them laughed and smiled about it.
- Asked a girl who was on her laptop if she could give me directions to a building on campus, after which I told her to just show me where it was and we walked & talked for 10+ minutes and I ended up taking her to a nearby Jamba Juice and it pretty much turned into an impromptu date (we talked and laughed about stuff for a good 40 minutes and I got her number and arranged a second date).
I feel pretty good about all of this. People were very receptive and friendly towards me when I just stopped caring so much about what they thought. So the whole thing about confidence really is true, even if it's fake.