Called on in Church to Speak, WTF? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Fun...Fluid...Formidable

My Mood: Breezy

Re: Called on in Church to Speak, WTF?

Oh I will. And I'm not really shy. I just haven't spoken in front of a group of believers when in fact, I'm wondering if I believe or not, funny! Thanks for the encouragement!!

EDIT: Added n to end of spoke, duh.

Anxiety-free since a quarter a' three...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:24 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairleighCalm
I just haven't spoke in front of a group of believers when in fact, I'm wondering if I believe or not, funny!
If you stand up to speak, you will believe in yourself. That counts for everything.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Fun...Fluid...Formidable

Very sage advice. I'll remember that.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 AM

Wow, that's great! Good for you! Did you get a positive response at church?
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Fun...Fluid...Formidable

No, they all booed me, haha. Yeah, they all lied and said I didn't appear nervous, but i was just out of being tired. Thanks.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairleighCalm
they all booed me
Can you really blame them? You used church and WTF in the same line.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 PM

That's good to hear. I've done this sort of thing in the past, spontaneously, in spite of my anxieties, and found it easier to cope with my SA afterwards. You should try to make a habit of it. Like that other guy said, church-goers aren't there to judge you, so there's really nothing to be concerned about in that regard. Personally, I don't believe in Christianity, but I respect other people's beliefs. I try not to discriminate or push my own beliefs onto other people. If socializing at church functions helps with your SA, then by all means continue to do so. As for me, I have too many discrepancies with Christianity, and basically all forms of organized religion. I've found it's best to first form your own relationship with God. If God exists, then he is likely a part of us all, and in turn we are all a part of God, and can only find God by looking within, from a pure un-biased perspective. Most religions are about controlling the masses and telling them what and how to believe. For some people, that's all they need and it can even be a positive thing. I, however, am not one of those people. Regardless, religion in any form can be a positive thing for people looking for hope and inspiration, and a place where you can evolve spiritually, while socially interacting with others who aren't as likely to judge you. Good luck, and speak up whenever you feel the need. Especially if you feel you can help or enlighten others while doing so.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 PM

You guys are all great!!!!!!!

I'll head off to bed in a while maybe I'll dream of Coconuts!!!!!!

Congrats on your speaking up!!!!!!!!!!!!

John H
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Fun...Fluid...Formidable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanh
That's good to hear. I've done this sort of thing in the past, spontaneously, in spite of my anxieties, and found it easier to cope with my SA afterwards. You should try to make a habit of it. Like that other guy said, church-goers aren't there to judge you, so there's really nothing to be concerned about in that regard. Personally, I don't believe in Christianity, but I respect other people's beliefs. I try not to discriminate or push my own beliefs onto other people. If socializing at church functions helps with your SA, then by all means continue to do so. As for me, I have too many discrepancies with Christianity, and basically all forms of organized religion. I've found it's best to first form your own relationship with God. If God exists, then he is likely a part of us all, and in turn we are all a part of God, and can only find God by looking within, from a pure un-biased perspective. Most religions are about controlling the masses and telling them what and how to believe. For some people, that's all they need and it can even be a positive thing. I, however, am not one of those people. Regardless, religion in any form can be a positive thing for people looking for hope and inspiration, and a place where you can evolve spiritually, while socially interacting with others who aren't as likely to judge you. Good luck, and speak up whenever you feel the need. Especially if you feel you can help or enlighten others while doing so.
Thanks!! I used to let my 'descrepancies" get in the way of my desire to have faith. I think for me, it's important to remember that it's MY faith and no one elses. Faith takes place on a very deep, and sincere level. And while the bible may be a guide for christians, pray and expecially silent sincere prayer/meditation is spiritual fuel. Thanks againf or commenting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page