Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Triumphs Over Social Anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Awkward Connections (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f9/awkward-connections-2224941/)

LaughingFoxX 06-26-2019 10:53 AM

Awkward Connections

I should be used to uncomfortable silences by now, but the truth is, I’m just not good at this. I try to converse with people and co-workers, but it always feels awkward. I gather it feels this way on their end as well since conversation is rarely initiated to me. I find myself awkwardly, or not, initiating most conversations, then feeling deflated afterwards. What’s my role here? It’s such a struggle to fit in and feel normal. I often wonder why most people don’t talk to me. Can you relate to this? Thanks, friends.

Seven4601 07-16-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaughingFoxX (Post 1093751443)
I should be used to uncomfortable silences by now, but the truth is, I’m just not good at this. I try to converse with people and co-workers, but it always feels awkward. I gather it feels this way on their end as well since conversation is rarely initiated to me. I find myself awkwardly, or not, initiating most conversations, then feeling deflated afterwards. What’s my role here? It’s such a struggle to fit in and feel normal. I often wonder why most people don’t talk to me. Can you relate to this? Thanks, friends.

omg this happens to me too, but only when there's a group of people, i can initiate a conversation really well but the problem is maintaining it, especially when there is more than 3 people. I just don't know how they just initiate conversations with random strangers like they've known each other for a long time

Unforgiven17 07-16-2019 02:18 PM

I find I am my own worst enemy when it comes to this. I can initiate conversations and keep them going, but often I just don't have energy to bother. I think the problem people have with me is sometimes i'm really bubbly and talkative and sometimes (more often really) I just blank people. I must come across as so rude but I just don't have it in me to keep it up on a daily basis.

aqwsderf 07-23-2019 07:55 PM

Im good with silence but I feel like other people arent. So I feel like I have a responsibility to make conversation. But I cant lol

versikk 07-24-2019 01:11 AM

Most people don't like awkwardness so they avoid you because they don't want to feel awkward. You haven't "proven yourself" to be "able to hold conversations", so they don't see you as a viable convo partner.

I suppose deep down they are a bit awkward as well, seeing as they can't handle others being awkward.
Posted via Mobile Device

sibil 07-28-2019 11:03 PM

The same thing happens to me, if I analyze the conversations in which I get involved, I conclude that I never start them and that is what costs me the most, perhaps that's why people don't like me.

sweet_tooth87 08-01-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by versikk (Post 1093769521)
I suppose deep down they are a bit awkward as well, seeing as they can't handle others being awkward.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nobody escapes being awkward . Mine as well celebrate it!! :boogie