Assertive for the first time!!!! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Assertive for the first time!!!!

I recently got a job at PetSmart as a pet care associate and was so incredibly nervous I had trouble breathing. Talking to customers, having them ask me questions I may or may not know the answer to, asking co-workers who are busy if they know instead. God it's so nerve wracking especially since they put me alone on my SECOND DAY!
And worst of all having to refuse people a pet when they don't have proper living conditions for it. That's what I was most nervous about. And as fate would have it on my fifth day, it happened.
Usually when someone does/says something I know is wrong I ignore it. Or I try to argue but eventually just say they're right(even if they aren't) to avoid confrontation. Especially when they're difficult to communicate with or are very head strong about whatever it is.
And this guy was pressing super hard and he clearly wasn't very good at English either. I wanted to melt into the ground and slink away.
But I stood my ground and tried to explain that 5 comet goldfish in a 1 gallon tank was unacceptable. Luckily he had a friend with him who clearly saw reason in what I was saying. He coaxed him away.
They lingered in the isle with aquariums for a bit and then left.
I just wanted to share because I feel to proud about it. Not only was I assertive for the first notable time in my life, but I saved four fish from living a life of misery in a fish tank that isn't even a 1/50 of the space they would all need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
That's so awesome! That is so hard for me to do! I'm so passive but I think I'm starting to catch on to what it's like to be an adult lol... like 10 years later than everyone else it seems like!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Yeah it was nerve wracking to the max. They even had a little kid with them and I was like, "aahhhhhhh I don't want to disappoint a little kid," but luckily she seemed more interested in the bunny.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 11:27 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
I was working at a restaurant once and I was so nervous all these time and had panic attacks.. my boss put on so much pressure too so that made it even worse. My mom has anxiety problems too and I asked her how does she get through the day... she told me to go to work and go on the bathroom right away. Look in the mirror and give myself a little pep talk. Sounds silly I know and it isn't easy to do. Then she told me she sometimes pretends she is an actress and picks her favorite character to be that day. She just would get her mind in a different place so she could " act normal". But she also said if it gets too bad to just pop an kpin and the panic should go away. Starting a new job is always so hard especially for those of us who struggle with every day life.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

That sounds so awful sorry about all that. I purposefully avoid restaurants because they stress me out even as a customer, I could never imagine working at one.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 01:09 PM
SAS Member

Good man!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:04 PM
SAS Member

Good job!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page