Advice from someone who overcame social anxiety years ago - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Wink

Advice from someone who overcame social anxiety years ago

Hi, I'm Triumphant21 and 8 years ago I got rid of social anxiety. I know I'm not a licensed psychologist but having lived through the experience of social anxiety I think I can help and offer good advice on how to overcome it.

My life with social anxiety: I would always wonder "what would they think of me?", "what if I'm doing the wrong thing and they would all laugh" and always assume the worst no matter how irrational it was. At my lowest, I wanted to kill myself but I didn't do it because that would have made my family sad.
My life without social anxiety: I still care what others think of me (and I will explain why I think this is reasonable) but only to the point of having a good general image, I also care about being myself (not pretending or trying to seem different to impress people) and about how I treat other people too. I have friends, a girlfriend, career goals and I think that life it's worth living once you see the good side of it.

Why do I say that it is reasonable to care what other think but only to the point of having a good general image? Because the advice to always be yourself doesnít take into account the practicality of needing to censor yourself. What other people think of us has consequences, not what everyone thinks of us has consequences, but: if my boss thinks I'm lazy he will fire me, so I'd rather not look lazy at least while he is around; if I'm being a jerk to people they wouldn't want to be around me anymore, nobody likes jerks; if the moderators here think I broke the rules they will ban me, so I rather won't; and so on.

Just be yourself. This is great advice, but is it? What if your friend has poor eating habits and talks about themselves endlessly? Surely the best advice to them if they are going on a new date is not to be themselves? Donít eat with your mouth open and donít talk about yourself all night, is what you really want to say! You need to strike a balance between being yourself and being appropiate. And you be appropiate you need to be aware how other people are feeling and how your actions would make them feel.

This is one of the main dams with social anxiety: Because you are always thinking "what would they think of me?", "what if I did something wrong?", "what if I said something wrong?" you are completly focusing on yourself and ignoring the people around you. Where as, if you care about how you treat other people too, you are more likely to make yourself likeable because you are paying attention to them. When you exclusively think "what will they say of me?" you only think about yourself. Not how you influence others with your behaviour, and the way you treat others has more of an influence on how they will treat you in return. If you google "how to make yourself more likeable" you'll find that all the advices are focused on other people: listen first, then speak; be interested, not interesting; ask questions about the other person; be open-minded; look for shared interests. When I had social anxiety somebody said "I can't make friends because I don't have enough likeablity" and this really hurt, I didn't want to believe that because I considered myself a person with no likeablity, but it turns out he was right, and that likeability is a factor, a factor that can be learned.

According to a study the top 3 things that determines you success in life are: IQ, likeability and willpower. Of course, we all see success differently, my favourite definition of success is this one: "He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who has gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children; who has filled his niche and accomplished his task; who has left the world better than he found it, whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or a rescued soul; who has never lacked appreciation of earthís beauty or failed to express it; who has always looked for the best in others and given the best he had; whose life was an inspiration; whose memory a benediction."

But, just because you are trying to make yourself more likeable to be liked by others (which is a good thing) it doesn't mean you should sacrifice yourself or your own needs to be liked by others (which is a bad thing), strive for win-win situations, not win-lose situations. This is where "be yourself" comes in, the good part of be yourself - do not brag or pretend youíre different to impress people. If you don't want to go at a certain place then don't go, if you don't like a certain product then say you don't like, if you have an opinion about something as long as it's not too heated or controversial you can state it, etc. In a way to be yourself is to be aware of your own needs.

The fear of disapproval or rejection is a sign that youíre controlled by the opinions of others. Nobody likes disapproval or rejection, but everyone, including people without social anxiety face disapproval or rejection at some point. What do they do about it? nothing. They get over it and keep trying. Nobody liked your joke? it's okay. Nobody answered to the question you asked? again, not a big deal. You wanted to go out with someone and he said no? again, it's okay. You will find someone else to hang out with. People without social anxiety don't have lives fundamentally different from the ones with social anxiety, where everybody loves and praises them, they just don't make a big deal/catastrophe about social rejection. Because they know that rejection in one place or from a single person is not an universal rejection.

The desire to get the approval of other people is a legitimate need in your life, you just donít need it to dominate your life. In the same way the desire for food is a legitimate need in your life, you just donít need it to dominate your life. Thereís nothing wrong with wanting to please your family or wanting to be liked and approved by friends or neighbors. You need that amount of approval, if you donít care at all about pleasing people youíre selfish. But, you cannot be worried about what everybody else wants you to be and focus on what you want to be at the same time. In what areas of your life are you doing what you know itís wrong in order to win the approval or avoid the rejection of other people?

Trying to please everyone causes us to wear masks, we become chameleons, we adapt to our enviroment and few things are as draining as trying to figure out which mask you are trying to wear in front of which people in which context. When we wear masks we fake it, we pretend, we donít reveal our authentic selves, our true selves. Be congruent inside and outside regardless of what context youíre in, not full of duplicity.

But what if you won't be liked for being yourself? You will be liked by the people who value you and care about you. In fact, by pretending you won't be liked, because even if they do like you they won't like the real you. Being yourself doesn't mean you should stop trying to improve yourself, if you want to become a better person in an area of your life by all means, do it, but do it for yourself.

When you have a fear of dissaproval, conflict, rejection or are overly worried what other people think you leave the door open for bad people to take advantage of you. Be yourself, whoever likes you great, whoever doesn't like you also great. Remember this: Nobody can please everybody, some people are unpleaseable, in life people are going to dissaprove of you, accept it, you cannot please everyone, if everybody likes you it means you stand for nothing, you have no convictions.

Sometimes you have to play the social role, this means to be polite when talking to an old man, to be formal when making an official request, to smile and not have a cheerless attitude when going to a job interview, that will cast a bad impression on you, if you donít feel like it then this requires "to not be yourself" and do what is expected of you for a limited amount of time.

What about likeability? Thereís a middle-ground. There are ways to become a more likeable and respected person without having to sacrifice who you really are. Thereís a way to be self-aware and authentic. The two arenít as mutually exclusive, being likeable is a change in how we connect with other people, not a change in who we are.

I hope these advices are useful or at least that they managed to boost your morale a bit. As I said, I'm no licensed psychologist, all I have is my reason and my past experience, and I could be wrong, but I think I'm right about them since I'm in the position of someone without social anxiety.

Getting rid of social anxiety doesn't mean you will never experience anxiety in your life again. It's a basic human condition, it's like food, if you manage to lose weight it doesn't mean you won't feel hungry again, only that you will never be fat again. Normal people have anxiety when they met new people, when they do things for the first time, even when they have to call and order a pizza. But they don't let that fear stop them, they do it anyway. According to Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale Test from this website my score is: 21(fear) + 7(avoidance) = 28. You do not suffer from social anxiety. Social anxiety starts at 55.

How I got cured? with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy from the Social Anxiety Institute website. Just google "cognitive behavioral therapy social anxiety institute".

Life is too short to be closed in yourself and not have fun. Keep in touch with people, take initiative, go and talk to people. Be civilized, be respectful, understanding, not conflict prone, have integrity, smile, make jokes and don't get easily offended but also have dignity and self-respect. You're not weak or loser if you're a good person. Everything comes from inside and if you truly want to do something you do it. Happiness is a choice, it depends on us whether we want to be happy or sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:28 AM
SAS Member

Well said.

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.
-Joseph M. Scriven
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:20 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

CBT has been shown to be effective in treating SAD, but no more effective than other therapies. It's just the most widely used because it's been approved by insurance companies.

When you feel like a freak, the only thing that helps are drugs and alcohol: things that make you not care.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:09 PM
dont believe in titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
When you feel like a freak, the only thing that helps are drugs and alcohol
that is a truly surreal comment from anybody with the name "maslow." im certainly going to picture that thing differently from now on.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
CBT has been shown to be effective in treating SAD, but no more effective than other therapies. It's just the most widely used because it's been approved by insurance companies.

When you feel like a freak, the only thing that helps are drugs and alcohol: things that make you not care.
To not care is not a solution, as I said:
Quote:
I still care what others think of me (and I will explain why I think this is reasonable) but only to the point of having a good general image, I also care about being myself (not pretending or trying to seem different to impress people) and about how I treat other people too.
And this
Quote:
Why do I say that it is reasonable to care what other think but only to the point of having a good general image? Because the advice to always be yourself doesnít take into account the practicality of needing to censor yourself. What other people think of us has consequences, not what everyone thinks of us has consequences
And this
Quote:
You need to strike a balance between being yourself and being appropiate. And to be appropiate you need to be aware how other people are feeling and how your actions would make them feel.
And this
Quote:
just because you are trying to make yourself more likeable to be liked by others (which is a good thing) it doesn't mean you should sacrifice yourself or your own needs to be liked by others (which is a bad thing), strive for win-win situations, not win-lose situations. (...) If you don't want to go at a certain place then don't go, if you don't like a certain product then say you don't like, if you have an opinion about something as long as it's not too heated or controversial you can state it, etc.
We all care what other people think, people without social anxiety included. The difference is that people without social anxiety care in a rational way, without making fear-based unfounded assumptions. Listen to the message fear gives you but don't let it rule you.
That's why people don't always present their true selves when you first meet them, that's why people will only be more open after you get to know them, that's why people present different sides of themselves to different people, because people generally care what other people think.
Quote:
Normal people have anxiety when they met new people, when they do things for the first time, even when they have to call and order a pizza. But they don't let that fear stop them, they do it anyway.
TL;DR - You should be appropiate and polite but you don't have to be liked by everyone and people who like you should like the real you. Being aware of the perceptions of others is not something bad or wrong.

You are right on point with "when you feel like a freak", the key word is "feel", are you a freak, or you only feel like a freak? You could be wrong in your assumptions, you know? You can explore questions like these on Quora: there's a question "People say that I am a freak. I don't see myself like that but now I am confused. I feel like a reject. What should I do?"

I particullary like the following answer:
Quote:
Why do you need others to see you a particular way in order to feel worthy?
Why does this depend on other people at all?
What is it that others can provide which you cannot provide for yourself?

A lot of people are sort of lost in life because they can't find a mirror which tells them who they are.
The trouble with needing that mirror is that the temptation is strong to turn other humans into the mirror:
"please tell me that I'm OK, I don't know who I am!".
But other people are notoriously unpredictable in this role.

If you need approval in order to feel complete as a person, you get into a very complex love/hate relationship with others, where you try to manipulate them into giving you the kind of feedback you need, and where you keep fiddling with your public presentation or "act" to get them to see you in ways which you think will make you more OK.

All of that is utterly meaningless -- a complete waste of your energy and life. But this is what happens when one does not know who they are. It's just not acceptable to go through life without being able to answer "who am I?", the mind is desperate for a resolution to that question.

Until you have a decent answer for "who am I?", your life is empty and meaningless -- a pursuit of an elusive greased pig which you can't even eat if you catch it. And others cannot tell you who you are -- in most cases, they can't answer the question for themselves, either. So you're on your own here. Work the question on its own terms, don't ask others to solve it for you.
And another question from Quora linked to the previous one: "What is a true self according to Les Matheson?"
Quote:
Identity -> Conformity -> Ideal Self

My identity -- my beliefs about who I am, really.
Ideal Self -- The person I "should" be.
That would be my ideal self: if only I had improved enough, right? Or maybe if I finally make that million bucks, or become kinder and less prone to anger, or whatever it is that represents the best possible me.

The arrow between them is "conformity", which is the word that I use for our struggle with the difference between who we believe that we are and who we believe that we should be.
In our efforts to conform to our ideal self, we find the endless struggle between our shortcomings and our aspirations, the despair of giving up, the justifications for failing to achieve, and so on.

Threats -> (Me; Ideal Self; Identity) <-Resources
Opportunities -> <- Demands

The second drawing puts that identity and ideal self into a larger context:
We live in a world, right? We're not just isolated beings floating in endless space.
The world shapes us, and we try to shape it back.
But the world is bigger than us, and potentially dangerous, so we need to put a boundary around ourselves and keep some of the bad things out, and try to keep some of the good things in, where we can control them.

Others and the world provides the context for the self that we believe ourselves to be.
That world is what we think of as "objective reality", and we consider that part of our job is to get an accurate understanding of objective reality, so that we can adapt ourselves to "the way things are out there."

So we're driven by two kinds of forces: our relationship with objective reality, and our relationship with our ideal self.
Somehow, in all the complexity of life, we have to work out "how do I become my ideal self?" and "how should I relate to the world out there to get what I need and be happy?".

We mostly take it for granted that (Me; Ideal Self; Identity) in the center is approximately "my true self".
Maybe we're not always perfectly honest with ourselves, maybe we have some unconscious motives that we haven't confronted, but in general we think "I'm not too far off in my understanding of who I am".
We present ourselves to the world in a way which at least pretends to be authentic, or sometimes we think "hey, I don't care what they think... this is just who I am and they can take it or leave it."

But the basic belief is that our self is some small unit of existence in a world of "other, out there" -- objective reality.
The problem of the human condition is defined by this relationship in which I am a small and vulnerable thing with a limited lifetime, in a world that is powerful and possibly indifferent, and which defines the rules of the game of life.
I'm just one of the players, yes?

Basically what I'm saying is "all of that is just one viewpoint about the self".
There's another way to understand the self, too:

<-- TRUE (Threats -> (Me; Ideal Self; Identity) <-Resources) TRUE --->
<-- SELF (Opportunities -> <- Demands) SELF --->

This picture shows true self in addition to all the other stuff in the previous drawing -- notice how true self is "bigger" than all the rest of it.
The way that I might say that is "true self is the most complete thing there is".
It includes everything else, it's like the container for everything.

More precisely, true self is the "owner" of everything.
Ownership is the most basic form of self-expression for true self.
So I talk a lot about ownership, because it's how one comes to understand what I mean by 'true self', and it's what true self does naturally -- like breathing is a basic life process of your body, ownership is the breathing of true self.

That idea can be flipped upside down too: true self disappears because of "disownership".
The essential argument is that the human condition, our existential suffering and darkness, our moral bankruptcy or struggles with rigidity, our confusion about identity and self-esteem, our battles with the world, our attempts to isolate the ego and protect it... all of that and more are symtoms of disownership -- when we fail at ownership, we get lost in the maze of our own making: a fixed self, struggling to become an idealized self, and battling with the world for resources, opportunity, protection, love, belonging, and so on.

These drawings are simplistic, of course, and there's a whole lot to say about all the details, but the basic thing to get is that true self is "prior" to the world and the ego, in the sense that my experience of self-and-world is my own construction, and I must own that to be fully authentic.

This doesn't mean that objective reality isn't real, but *my* reality is all that I know, and I must own it to know who I am.

Life is too short to be closed in yourself and not have fun. Keep in touch with people, take initiative, go and talk to people. Be civilized, be respectful, understanding, not conflict prone, have integrity, smile, make jokes and don't get easily offended but also have dignity and self-respect. You're not weak or loser if you're a good person. Everything comes from inside and if you truly want to do something you do it. Happiness is a choice, it depends on us whether we want to be happy or sad.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:53 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Question

being at home such a miserable thing! callous

empty, gutless! feeling exactly like all my extended months in hospital!

boost when getting home for sure

nothing ahead.

occupation + holiday, please

how strange a combo how humans exist to fulfil their denial to let me strike up a job

too much of that creates a deep defence hate for those humans. any removal of their block of me makes them, me and all other humans all happy!

my Christmas with mother & daughter psychologists. the dad too. missing friend(family) who bound us together. OK. realising those ladies cannot resolute my life's calling... i am not ill in any way, a psychiatrist said, once. forsaken.. what's the way out? time the mindkiller. must upkeep occupation 24/7!!! how?? why some time without perpetual employment destroys a person? i never chose that. takes two. eager. why not allowed?

function should not be socially limited.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:02 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Question

inappropriate

Phone & TV from remote places!

watching some foreign place.. India... feeling a bit Thai before checking the title
brightest colours
however sunny, tropical..? eg. Gladiator movie.. Rome..?

false... any way to show by camera while not being there... must be considered carefully, any belief in how true, edited..! today's electronic ways to present live video in our homes. exotic? safari? trains across the world.

nigh mezzanine holiday at home! night times... broad daylight.. palaces...

presenter sitting there with newspaper with brek in hotel... if we can't afford to go there? what's all this for? equivalent in any cheap cafe in hometown... kebabs... wall pictures of foreign images of exotic gardens... encouraging travel?

scary. never alone.

when employment offered, enough resources to travel, investigate, venture.

who is TV aimed at? Those poor?

introduced to places and things unknown! camera the devil?

palm trees.

clothing, foods.. society... if you see... why go?

purpose of attracting revenue?

Music! classic Haunting!! such a foreign place! small children watch this?

Indian countryside... worlds of glimmering city nightscape... ?

ummm... definitely apres Xmas TV pulling strings! any old movies...
orchestra.. violins ouch!

those unemployed, forced to live in false projected fantasy

how old? right now live news, or B&W movies? sepia of 1800s? Agatha Christie for millenniums? old brown Morecambe & Wise.. '70s..?

i guess maybe the evil phone is more current modern? or edited recorded outgoing message?

how important to get away from home to see upfront?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:21 AM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent
Yes that's right! You too can CURE your anxiety, grow your hair back and always cum last for just one easy non-refundable payment.

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 09:19 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudChaser View Post
Yes that's right! You too can CURE your anxiety, grow your hair back and always cum last for just one easy non-refundable payment.

That would be a bargain if it worked.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
Oh wow nice.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:28 AM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
OP--how many years did you suffer from social anxiety disorder (or if you prefer/don't mind sharing such info, from what age to what age)?

Were you professionally diagnosed?

What severity would you have rated your SA? Like how avoidant were you, were you able to work, socialize, go through a checkout, answer the phone, etc.?

Did you have any family/friends/significant others/therapists helping you? A support network?

Any comorbid disorders?

Thanks.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
OP--how many years did you suffer from social anxiety disorder (or if you prefer/don't mind sharing such info, from what age to what age)?

Were you professionally diagnosed?

What severity would you have rated your SA? Like how avoidant were you, were you able to work, socialize, go through a checkout, answer the phone, etc.?

Did you have any family/friends/significant others/therapists helping you? A support network?

Any comorbid disorders?

Thanks.
I don't remember exactly, 2 or 3 years. I wasn't professionally diagnosed but I went to a psychologist, a bad one who hardly helped. Eventually I learned from the internet that I have social anxiety, I had all the symptoms, avoidance, fear, fear of what other people think, fear that I will be or look weird fear of not knowing how to react and so on.

And I would catastrophize everything. If someone would say something bad to me, and I wouldn't know how to react, I would be soft and let it go or make myself small, instead of standing up for myself and defend myself or at least justify myself diplomatically, I thought that would be the end for me, that nobody would like me anymore and people would not want to talk to me anymore because I would be a weirdo.

The reality was far from what was going on in my head, if I would be soft and let it go or make myself small, sure some people would take advantage of me and see me as weak, but others would see it as a quality, the quality of being nice and good. What stopped me was the fear inside my head, rather than the reality outside my world, even if the fear was inside my head I could have done the thing I was afraid in spite of the fear and go out there and talk to people until I would have gotten so many reality-checks that I would have changed my beliefs.

And in fact, that's what I did. Not directly or instantly, but there was this product called "Deep Inner Games" by David Deangelo, it was mostly about dating but I wasn't interested about dating, it was about your psychology, how to master your own psychology so that you can achieve the best ressults in life. I was a bit afraid but I did it, I took it, listened to it, and watched it. There were many aspects of your life: anger, solving your problems, etc. And there was a section dedicated to anxiety where you will understand what anxiety is all about, also how to deal with it. The short answer is: courage.

I came accros this product, "Deep Inner Games" by David Deangelo, while reading online about people who overcame social anxiety. There was someone who said that he also had social anxiety and watched "Deep Inner Games" by David Deangelo and his anxiety got away after that. Not instantly, but in time he started to apply what was described in those videos and he started to feel better and live a more fulfilling life. So I took it, and it turned out it worked, it turns out "Deep Inner Games" by David Deangelo teaches you how to think.

Being years, I don't remember it as much as I used to, but here's in short what I remember about it. In short because reading this is not the equivalent of watching the videos, you have to watch the videos to get a better perspective:

There are 4 parts of psycholgoy:
- Personal boundry (Makes you strong)
- Decision making power (Gives you more freedom; wiser decisions means more freedom society bestows to you to make even bigger decisions; rise in leadership ability)
- Intelect/Ideas (the way you arrange ideas and manage time gets you to your goals efficently)
- Emotional energy (mastering emotional energy & self-esteem gets you to happiness)

The goal of life is to reach durable fulfillment, durable fulfillment can be reached with:
- Happiness (Happiness is self-esteem\self-respect)
- Success (Reaching a goal)
- Freedom (Decision making power)

Learning curve in life:
- Lack of strength (durableness)
- Lack of freedom (feeling trapped)
- Failure
- Happiness or unhappiness

The anatomy of a problem:
Emotional -> Leads to hurt (takes the form of anger) or loss (takes the form of anxiety) -> Leads to stress -> Leads to Problems -> Hurts yourself.
Decision based -> Lack of conscience or lack of intuition -> Leads to feeling trapped -> Leads to problems -> Hurts yourself.
Intellectual -> Lack of education or lack of experience -> Leads to failure and rejection -> Leads to problems -> Hurts yourself.

Define your personal boundry:
- Control (Things within your personal boundry of control)
- Suffering (Things outside your personal boundry of control; don't burn energy on things you do not control)
- How strong is your personal boundry (what is your identity? what are your preferences?)
* Patch holes in your personal boundry first before patching holes in other's boundaries.
* Avoid narcissism (as it leads you to complete self-obsession)
* Avoid perfectionism (As it is a hole within your boundry for an image of yourself showcasing you have reached every milestone without putting any effort)

Types of fallible boundaries:
- Thin skinned (not being able to differenciate between the good and the bad)
- Thick skinned (not willing to exchange any views due to preconcieved notions or personal trauma)

Mature boundary:
- A boundary with doors (make sure the handle is on the inside, not on the outside)
- The doors are controlled by your decision power.
- Every decision you make is either constructive or destructive.

What is stress:
- Stress ressults from either a hurt or a loss situation (it's a negative emotional energy).
- A strong personal bountry twarts off any negative emotional energy.
- Do not burn energy on the past or future.
- We all get the same amout of time, but it's our energy which is our most valueable resource.

What is trauma:
- Trauma is a negative energy which penetrated your personal boundry in spite of you saying no to it.
- If hurts get in it takes the form of anger, if loss gets in it takes the form of anxiety.
- The various negative energies are now your wounds.

Types of cure for trauma:
- Biological cure by medicine.
- Psychological cure by education or therapy.
- Stress cured by you making a decision relating to the stress.

Anger map:
Anger -> Decision
* No decision (passive) -> Depression (sadness)
* Destructive decision (aggressive) -> Hurt -> anger
* Constructive decision (assertiveness) -> Needs not met (low on well-being) -> anger.
* Constructive decision (assertiveness) -> Fill up your well-being -> anger goes away.
- Aggression does not equal anger, it's a win-lose situation, it dumps anger on someone else's boundry. It's immature and childish as it fails to respect other people's boundry.
- The cyrcle of violence creates a negative momentum in your life. Aggression leads to hurt, which leads to anger, which eventually leads to a destructive decision causing a loop. This cycle is simply an anger generator, it's a quick fix.
- Assertiveness is a way to get your needs met, it's independent of other people, it doesn't hurt other people, it's patient, disciplined and mature, it is delayed gradification rather than a quick fix, your well-being improves where as your anger and depression decreases.
- You have to do the constructive decision (assertiveness) over and over again until it works.

Anxiety map:
Anxiety -> Decision
* No decision (passive) -> Impulsiveness (acting without thinking first; fight or flee)
* Destructive decision (masochism/victim thinking) -> Loss (threatened/immaginary) -> anxiety
* Constructive decision (courage) -> Low on confidence -> anxiety.
* Constructive decision (courage) -> Fill up your confidence -> anxiety goes away.
- Masochism leads to poor-me attitude, worrying too much about the future, regretting the past, hopelessness or helplessness is a mental deficit which is never logically true for an adult.
- Courage is doing the right thing, it is guided by your conscience and intuition, just before the moment of real courage you are completly alone, nobody can do courage but you, the moment after displaying courage you become a leader, everybody wants to join in helping you.
- You have to do the constructive decision (courage) over and over again until it works.

Habbits:
- Constructive habbits lead to a more mature and sound individual.
- Destructive habbits give us short-term relief (in the long term you tend to lose; example: immediate gradification, not recognising others or respecting them, poor conscience and intuition)
- Conscience looks at the inner motives of an individual
- Intuition looks at various enviroment motives
- All in all both look whether the outcomes are being constructive or destructive.

And there's more.

After that I started doing CBT, cognitive behaviorial therapy, which also helped, and I got cured.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 AM
Advanced Industries

My Mood: Asleep
I really like that you constantly quote; "Deep Inner Games" by David Deangelo. You really have good product placement. lol.

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.

-------

Feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to, or just want to vent, I don't bite

Navi Says: Hey Listen!

Here too!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page