Acceptance and commitment therapy cured me - Social Anxiety Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13

Acceptance and commitment therapy cured me


Hello everyone!
I will tell you my story!
I suffered a lot from social anxiety!
I spent my life in my room, so my parents took me to a psychiatrist, I tried medications.
I became way more anxious, so I tried CBT also!
It also didn't work because I couldn't change my thoughts.
So my therapist said that we should try ACT, acceptance and commitment therapy!
After doing the exercises for like 4 months, I felt finally free!
I'm here to help you! Email me!
Nadiareine12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 AM
Bookworm
 
Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
Gender: Female
Age: 21
Posts: 240
That's amazing, congratulations! What exactly is ACT? I've never heard of it.

“You cannot find peace by avoiding life.” – Virginia Woolf
Gloaming is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
ACT is a therapy that uses cognitive defusion, you defuse from negative thoughts instead of changing them, you learn to live in the present(mindfulness) and you live your social life despite anxiety and it will reduce!
You live according to your values ( finding love , making friends...)
If you want i could send you exercises each week for free of course ( it's not business lol) and you could try the therapy!
Success guaranteed!
Nadiareine12 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:24 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
 
Maslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Denver
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadiareine12 View Post
ACT is a therapy that uses cognitive defusion, you defuse from negative thoughts instead of changing them, you learn to live in the present(mindfulness) and you live your social life despite anxiety and it will reduce!
You live according to your values ( finding love , making friends...)
Success guaranteed!
So all we have to do is find love and make friends and then we'll overcome our SAD? Sign me up!

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
Maslow is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
HAhahahha not that simple! I can cure you I promise but you have to work hard !!!!
If you're interested inbox me and I will give you exercises of ACT to do for a 12 week treatment plan.
You have to fight! It's all about surpassing yourself!
Nadiareine12 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:18 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
 
Maslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Denver
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,542
I have the ACT workbook. It contains useful practices, but it doesn't cure SAD.

A lot of people here don't have friends or anyone to love, and all the mindful practices in the world aren't going to change that. Many people here were abused as children and bullied in school. And many of us look weird (myself included).

Social anxiety is rooted in low self-esteem and the only way to cure it is to raise your self-esteem to healthy levels.

This is a good book to help with self-esteem issues:
https://www.amazon.com/PoND-Program-...977/ref=sr_1_2

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
Maslow is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
You didn't understand me! It's not about love and friends!
It's about yourself !
And I was cured by ACT!
If you think ACT is about love and friends them you don't know it !!!
It's about you and what you want !
Nadiareine12 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Almighty
 
scarpia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadiareine12 View Post
Hello everyone!
I will tell you my story!
I suffered a lot from social anxiety!
I spent my life in my room, so my parents took me to a psychiatrist, I tried medications.
I became way more anxious, so I tried CBT also!
It also didn't work because I couldn't change my thoughts.
So my therapist said that we should try ACT, acceptance and commitment therapy!
After doing the exercises for like 4 months, I felt finally free!
I'm here to help you! Email me!
ACT is actually considered a form of CBT. ACT differs from CBT in that rather than trying to teach people how to better control their thoughts, feelings, sensations, memories and other private events, ACT teaches them to just notice, accept and embrace their private events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
I have the ACT workbook. It contains useful practices, but it doesn't cure SAD.

A lot of people here don't have friends or anyone to love, and all the mindful practices in the world aren't going to change that. Many people here were abused as children and bullied in school. And many of us look weird (myself included).

Social anxiety is rooted in low self-esteem and the only way to cure it is to raise your self-esteem to healthy levels.

This is a good book to help with self-esteem issues:
https://www.amazon.com/PoND-Program-...977/ref=sr_1_2
Hard to treat SAD may be due to avoidant personality disorder - that's much harder to treat than SAD.

Kneel before me worms. I am God.
scarpia is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
Yeah but ACT really saved my life! I'm glad I did it
Nadiareine12 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:57 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadiareine12 View Post
Yeah but ACT really saved my life! I'm glad I did it
What's ACT? Please tell me more.
Testosterone is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Permanently An Idiot
 
TheWelshOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,137
My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadiareine12 View Post
If you want i could send you exercises each week for free of course ( it's not business lol) and you could try the therapy!
Success guaranteed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadiareine12 View Post
If you're interested inbox me and I will give you exercises of ACT to do for a 12 week treatment plan.
This is a little misleading, Nadia.

To anyone reading this thread and thinking about messaging her, I was told to write down 8 values (which was very difficult for me), things that I wanted. And then eventually her response was 'OK, go out and do those things!' There's no exercise plan and no cure, it's simply 'Go for what you're scared of. Feel the anxiety and do it anyway.'

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning
TheWelshOne is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 16
My Mood: Fine
I don't know what ACT is, but I found accepting my situation without judging or evaluating it allowed me to move past some of my fears.
barbj is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 11:49 AM
SAS Member
 
doe deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Gender: Female
Age: 22
Posts: 2,902
!!!
doe deer is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome