Therapy Group: Sydney Social Anxiety Group Treatment Program - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

Sydney Social Anxiety Group Treatment Program

In response to recent demand, the Practice has begun offering group treatment programs for people suffering from social anxiety. These programs are similar in nature and content to many of the successful treatment programs currently running in both Australia and around the world.

Approach
The philosophy of the Sydney Anxiety Disorders Practice is to provide treatments that are short term, cost effective and scientifically validated. The social anxiety program follows a treatment approach called 'Cognitive Behaviour Therapy'(CBT).

Effectiveness
CBT is currently the most effective psychological approach to treating social anxiety. This approach focuses on helping socially anxious individuals change the way they perceive situations and events in their lives, as well as developing skills to better cope with their anxiety in these situations. As part of the quality assurance process, the effectiveness of each Social Phobia program is measured using both the latest standardised questionnaires and direct feedback from participants.

Content
The group program involves:

Examining and challenging beliefs that cause fear and anxiety in social situations.

Training in focussing attention away from how others see you, and on to the task at hand (for example, learning to focus on the story you’re telling, rather than how you look to others)

Practice in gradually changing your behaviour and reducing avoidance so that you slowly become used to handling previously difficult social situations in a more calm and confident manner.

Duration
The program involves 10 group sessions over 12 weeks, plus a 3 month follow-up session, thus making a total of 11 sessions. Each group session is approximately 2.5 hours in length, with practical homework exercises to be completed every week.

Participants
The group is limited to 8 members to allow adequate time for individual participation and to promote group cohesion. Each member of the group has participated in a thorough assessment to ensure that the group program is well-suited to each individual’s needs.

More Info: http://www.sadp.com.au/
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (02) 8230 0449
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 AM
impossible pain

My Mood: Confused
hmm, sounds scary. i'm thinking about it, though.

Truth. Justice. Etc.
'my favourite band in life
is playing town this wednesday nite,
i wish to god i had the nerve to go...'

- vanity, '3 x 2 = 6'
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 AM
SAS Member

Would there be an age requirement? If I did attend this I would rather do it without needing parental permission.

Once you hit rock bottom, the only place you can go is up.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:20 AM
impossible pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invalid Username View Post
Would there be an age requirement? If I did attend this I would rather do it without needing parental permission.
According to the Minors (Property and Contracts) Act 1970 (NSW), a child aged 14 years or over may consent to his or her medical or dental treatment, and the consent of the minor will be effective in terms of defending an action for assault or battery relating to the treatment. The NSW Act also allows parents of children under the age of 16 to validly consent to their child's medical or dental treatment.
In general, once a child attains the age of 18 years, they are considered to be a fully competent and autonomous individual. However, in Australia, there exists legislative provisions and common law principles that recognise the developing competency of adolescents to make decisions regarding their own medical treatment. As a result, parents and their teenage children in this country hold concurrent rights to consent to the child's treatment.

Truth. Justice. Etc.
'my favourite band in life
is playing town this wednesday nite,
i wish to god i had the nerve to go...'

- vanity, '3 x 2 = 6'
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Flora

How much does it cost? :/
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 07:41 AM
SAS Member

That sounds like something i may be interested in, even though it sounds kind of daunting. Where could i find the details on location etc?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 PM
SAS Member

I'd be interested in this also, are the groups still happening?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 PM
SAS Member

Hi,

I live in south western Sydney with no drivers licence, do you know of any groups in my area?

Ta
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 04:40 AM
SAS Member

^^^

I second what Tink76 said. Would love to know also.

Thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:03 AM
SAS Member

i went today, did not go so well for me

'Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.'
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 04:30 AM
Querdenker

^ that must mean they are still taking place

cheer up - God is with you
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 04:30 AM
Querdenker

thanks for doing this by the way

cheer up - God is with you
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page