Psychodynamic Therapy - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

Language: Test123
My Mood: Cheerful

Psychodynamic Therapy

Psychodynamic psychotherapy is a form of depth psychology, the primary focus of which is to reveal the unconscious content of a client's psyche in an effort to alleviate psychic tension. In this way, it is similar to psychoanalysis, however, psychodynamic therapy tends to be more brief and less intensive than psychoanalysis. It also relies on the interpersonal relationship between client and therapist more than other forms of depth psychology.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychod..._psychotherapy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 AM
SAS Member

You will aciev this by observing your thoughts, thought patterns, emotions, and actions. Everyone can be there own psychologis if they did so. Once you know your unconscious behavior and are aware of it. You then have a choice. When God says "forgive him for he knows not what he does.". He is talking about the unconscious one. Most people with SA are unconscious which is sad. If only everyone observed their thoughts, they would then find a solution. Great post. Nobody needs the actual therapy though. They can do it without help like I did. I cured my SA forever.

"A blind man will not change for that he knows not what he does.* It is when he sees is when the magic begins."
-Mitchell Kraus
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 AM
SAS Member

I found psychodynamic therapy helpful for a while. It helped me to become aware that I do have blind spots. I have thoughts and beliefs; there was inconsistency with my behavior and what I believed sometimes, and this therapy helped me to analyze more and pay attention to how I interpreted events in life.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 AM
SAS Member

I love psychodynamic, it has been more helpful to me than CBT (and CBT is the recommended treatment plan for this disorder)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 PM
SAS Member

Moke

Quote:
You will achieve this by observing your thoughts, thought patterns, emotions, and actions. Everyone can be there own psychologis if they did so. Once you know your unconscious behavior and are aware of it. You then have a choice. When God says "forgive him for he knows not what he does.". He is talking about the unconscious one. Most people with SA are unconscious which is sad. If only everyone observed their thoughts, they would then find a solution. Great post. Nobody needs the actual therapy though. They can do it without help like I did. I cured my SA forever.

Quote:
I love psychodynamic, it has been more helpful to me than CBT (and CBT is the recommended treatment plan for this disorder)
$$$$

It seems like most treatments are designed to make you FEEL like you are progressing, or changing, while still keeping you in need of the service. If you help people too much, if they could be actually cured, they wouldn't come back for more.

Isn't the goal of science to find EXPLANATIONS? Half-measures are just as productive for some though.

Yes the $$$$ is an assumption on my part, but after less than a minute of searching I find this:

"Psychotherapist and professor Andrew Samuels stated that this constitutes "a coup, a power play by a community that has suddenly found itself on the brink of corralling an enormous amount of money. Science isn't the appropriate perspective from which to look at emotional difficulties. Everyone has been seduced by CBT's apparent cheapness."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogniti...rapy#Criticism
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 AM
SAS Member

it is a cheaper psychoanalysis.
psychoanalysis is a completely useless pseudoscience.
cheaper one is a cheaper pseudoscience.
I had experienced psychodynamic therapy. a huge money and time wasted.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe View Post
I found psychodynamic therapy helpful for a while. It helped me to become aware that I do have blind spots. I have thoughts and beliefs; there was inconsistency with my behavior and what I believed sometimes, and this therapy helped me to analyze more and pay attention to how I interpreted events in life.
I know that the best course of psychotherapy is starting with Psychodynamic and going to CBT then maybe Mindfulness CBT then Emotion Focused Therapy and maybe if you still have it in you, narrative therapy.

I'm not sure if psychodynamic will help you in the short term but make you understand where your problems came from while CBT focuses on there here and now and gives you the tools to deal with the thoughts right away.

I think it's difficult to find a good psychodynamic therapist that doesn't buy into the classical Freudian stuff and sometimes you never know what you're getting yourself into.

Just curious - phobiaphobe - did the threapy help you with SA or GAD?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM
SAS Member

kechara healing chakras is one effective way to achieve physical and mental healing.

sweetness is my weakness: yes
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 01:14 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan99 View Post
I cured my SA forever.
How did you succeed in that? =D
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 01:29 PM
UnDeRrAtED

For me psychodynamic therapy was a waste of time just trying to understand the root of my problem. CBT on the other hand gave me a more positive outlook but not enough to change my negative beliefs consciously and unconsciously

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 AM
SAS Member

This didn't help me much, it was nice to talk at someone but it didn't reveal much that I didn't know already.
I'm not 'cured' and I'm still just as anxious but I know more about why I am... she didn't really have to say much though I'd use that hour every week to rant about reasons why I was the way I am. Just nice to get it out and have feed back. I really want to try CBT next
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Permanently Banned

Would it work if I don't talk at all?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 PM
SAS Member

I would love to find the source of some of my hang-ups. I think I can't get there because I don't want to know it again.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:41 PM
SAS Member

Psychodynamic therapy is designed to help patients explore the full range of their emotions, including feelings they may not be aware of.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 02:44 PM
SAS Member

I found psychodynamic therapy to be of great help with reducing my social anxiety, increasing my ability to access my natural interpersonal skills, be more emotionally regulated, allow me to feel more in control of my life, and correct my view that others were engaging with me negatively or were a threat to me.

It was a long process, I've been in psychodynamic therapy for about a year and a half, and I really started noticing changes about 6-7 months in, in terms of physical symptoms being alleviated. I can now give presentations without fear or panic attacks, my anticipation anxiety around social events is reduced significantly, and I just feel like I can connect with myself much easier and in turn let out more of my natural personality. This has allowed me to have deeper and more rewarding relationships by far.

The most important thing to psychodynamic therapy is finding a therapist you trust, who's well trained, and who motivates you to go to therapy and want to reveal information about yourself.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 AM
SAS Member

Hello everyone.

Have you ever had therapy for a personal or mental health problem? (e.g. counselling, CBT, couples therapy).
If so, would you be interested in taking part in the survey I have created for my Masters thesis?

All responses remain anonymous and confidential and your help would be VERY much appreciated!
Please click on the link below and follow instructions! It only takes 10-15 minutes:

https://sdu-surveys.herts.ac.uk/psychotherapy/
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 12:28 PM
SAS Member

My impression

I feel like psychodynamic therapy has done some good with me as far as processing loss of a loved one and the grief that's associated with it and my explosive anger with is very much intertwined with my social anxiety. I also feel like it's gradually improved my interpersonal skills with family and close friends, which has been a large source of anxiety for me.

I think the results are very subtle though and they take time and effort on your part. It's not easy and it's not directly goal-oriented like CBT is but I like it. It's more a thinking man's therapy in my mind than the brute force nature of CBT/exposure.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:35 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, French, Japanese
Therapy Wars: The Revenge of Freud

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ioural-therapy
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page