Hypnotherapy - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joinmartin View Post
It can help with relaxation but it's not going to have a dramatic effect? How can you know that? A therapist who is willing to do it? Makes it sound like it's some sort of little trick that one or two therapists might try every now and then instead of what it actually is which is a healing process which is incorporated into quite a few branches of pyschotherapy and other mental health and physical health practices and trainings. You've also got some doctors being trained in it and using it, some dentists, counsellors etc...
It works through the power of suggestion -- essentially a placebo.

Quote:
The conscious and subconscious were and are linguistic constructs for things we know very little about. Granted, Freud talks about an unconscious mind which is not the same as the linguistic construct of the subconscious mind but we're still in the realms of linguistic construct, metaphors and models here. It's out of date because we've moved on to better and more rounded metaphors and models for the mind. Even if the conscious and the subconscious did hold as actual things we still wouldn't know more about the subconscious then ever before because "the subconscious" doesn't actually exist as a term. What you would have would be millions of different, unique subconsciousness belonging to millions of different people. We are only just beginning to delve into the workings of the brain and there are some exciting developments.
I have no idea what you're talking about, join. Maybe I confused you by switching the terms "subconscious" and "unconscious." "Unconscious" is the preferred term, but the two are often used interchangeably these days.

In fact, we do know quite a bit about the unconscious mind -- for example, unconscious memory systems such as implicit memory. Take a look at the work by Daniel Schacter and Endel Tulving for some examples.

"They had to laugh, otherwise it would be too terrifying." -Bukowski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 03:24 AM
SAS Member

Crap

I did try it twice with diferent therapists. The second a lady took 50 a session of 1 hour , half of that was listening to a tape of waves crashing on the shore.She said how does that make you feel, i said like i want the toilet fast. N o my mind was shot indepression I the only thing that can penatrate your brain in that situation is meds , through your blood stream into your brain.Im not saying an every day joe could not get help, but a mentaly ill person, no chance
post #23 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 11:32 AM
SAS Member

Sorry

SORRY , i think its bull **** an the way you twist every answer makes it even bigger bull****. CBT therapy is also on the same line , i have had it . fight an flight , fight an ****e more like. Out of my group. 1 it helped 4 it made worse, an the rest stopped attending. 1 lady ran out the group after ten minutes. but thats another story.

post #24 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhea0 View Post
I don't believe CBT is that simple. It seems like you believe that CBT is about will power. I don't agree with that. Well, I guess it takes a certain amount of will to go through the CBT process, but the actual changes that take place in your mind is not about will. If will mattered, I would have willed my anxiety away a long time ago. I'm sure most of us would have. CBT is not about waking up one morning and convincing yourself that the things that scare you are not real; it's about systematically changing your thought processes. It's about reprogramming. In my opinion, at least.
I agree. And also, my therapist goes to a lot of seminars for all sorts of neurosciences and she's always saying how when you restructure your thought processes, there are studies that show there are physical differences in the brains of those that have successfully completed CBT therapy. So not only does it make you feel good and more in control, but there are physical, scientific results that prove your brain is more in balance without drugs or any unhealthy side affects!

as for hypnotherapy, i've never tried it, but i think i would like to. i meditate fairly often so if it's anything like what i'm reading about, it should go well. i'd like to believe what joinmartin is saying is true.

p.s. @joinmartin you're an excellent argumentative writer! i'm impressed

Love always

I had no place to live

I couldn't find one

I don't know if I could have any hope for the future

Last edited by KimberlyAnn Rose; 03-16-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: adding something
post #25 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 02:36 AM
SAS Member

what

Jionmatin, What kind of mental problem,s do you have, ,you qoute many different books an writer,s, you seem to spend a lot of time reading about how to solve problem,s an then quoteing them. People in depression carnt read , there mind wont let them consantrate, there vision is blurred an its the last thing they want to do. So i think you are more a sort off do it yourself theropist what with meditation an the like. Meditation in depression is impossible. So please do tell us you mental illness an the meds you take, plus the struggles with anxierty an depression you have had, like hospital stays , a suicidal thoughts. then we can take CTB an other hippy type paths you want to follow.
post #26 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 AM
SAS Member

Hypnotherapy was really great for me,I trusted the person (she was a friend of my mums) she only hypnotised me once.i think it s very important to trust and feel comfortable with the person and you shouldn t need more that 4 or sessions,or else you re wasting your own time.

Since I haven t had a panic attack.I did nothing else (no meds,except for herbal remedies) and I guess kind of CBT since I had to take a bus,plane,friends car...

I had at least 3 panic attacks, sometimes they woke me up in the middle of the night so I got scared of falling asleep and tried to stay awake as long as posible,silly really.
post #27 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 AM
SAS Member

I asked for a quote off a hypnotherapist here in scotland and he said it would require three sessions at 100 each. And he said if it needed longer he would throw in one more session for free. So basically 300 and no guarantee it will do anything at all.

I never called him back.

Currently taking 20mg of Paroxetine (Seroxat). It's not very useful. Better than nothing.. but only just.
post #28 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM
SAS Member

100 a hour, that is bad new.s . 2 people a day, an he works 2hour,s an get 1000 a week.
post #29 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:43 PM
SAS Member

The reason i carnt write an my gramma is ****, is through depression which i was born with thanks to my old mans genes. I an self taught read an write, not very well i know but school was not an option with mental health probs. So your diploma,s mean nothing to me an why do i want to hear about your broken arm. I can take any physical pain you through my way its the mental stuff that hurts. Off course you can read in depression but not book after book, as clinical depression nukes your brain, your consentration is zero , an you feel like death. So please do a little more study as you seem to be in need of a life change thats all.
post #30 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:49 PM
SAS Member

Well some believe in it, some don't, so this argument could never be solved. Unless..... Joinmartin gives someone here some hypnotherapy and report back the results!

Currently taking 20mg of Paroxetine (Seroxat). It's not very useful. Better than nothing.. but only just.
post #31 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 AM
SAS Member

People with a success rate, all but short are smokers, Every day joe,s with no mental illness, and know thought block. They just listen to someone other than there wife, kids ,husband, telling them to give up.It stays in there mind, A) because thet have payed a lot of money, B) because there is no depression clouding there brain. I myself have had 2 sessions,onthe basis of try anything to heal my brain. It carnt break through the depression monsters grip, you brain is no receptive to anything. Only the crap sea crashing on the shore tape, that makes you want to pee after 2 minutes.
post #32 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:06 PM
SAS Member

I'd be willing to give hypnotherapy a go.

I don't believe for one second it'll completely restructure my thought process where social interaction is concerned but used in conjunction with meds and CBT what harm (apart from a few hundred quid) can it do. For me personally, my SA developed due to a traumatic experience I suffered 10 yrs ago. Previous to that I was a happy-go-lucky type person. If hypnotherapy can take me back to that particular time in my life and somehow help change my original irrational thoughts brought on by the trauma then that can only be a good thing.

Or do I have that completely wrong, that's not at all how it works?

H.
post #33 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:56 PM
SAS Member

I assume it just works kind of like association, so they could tell you associate social interactions with happy thoughts and feeling confident or whatever. Rather than how we think, "OH GOD! People are talking to me aaaah!" or whatever..

I would love to try it, but I just doubt it would work, and would never spend all that money to try! If it was on the NHS or something, I would be all over it. But like someone said above, it's not usually offered as a treatment, and there is probably a reason for that.

:/

post #34 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 PM
New mum to summer rose

CBT did not help me, it takes a lot of effort and when you have depression its difficult but it is better for anxiety.
I am really keen to try hypnotherapy and I know a friend who did it for her PTSD and it really helped in her healing process.
I want to look in to it.
Personally I think DBT would be better than CBT

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
post #35 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 PM
SAS Member

I've never gasped so much in a long time *looks at foxy*... you shoot down hypnotherapy faster than an Olympic grade shooter shoots down skeets based on your own bad experiences. I'm sorry you feel the way you do but one negative post of you bashing hypnotherapy is more than enough...don't ya think? If you don't like it then cool ...go and read other threads yeah?

Obviously I'm all for hypnotherapy and believe success is based largely on the individuals feelings regarding hypnotherapy and the skills of the practitioner. Also if you can focus on a television for more than ten minutes and fall asleep at night then you have the ability to be hypnotised, if you have tried and failed it's most likely related to those two points I mentioned.

When we dream at night that is our subconscious mind communicating with us in symbols and analogies. There are times when our SM will express issues and problems that we have in indirect ways that we may not understand. Tapping into the SM through hypnotherapy is like creating a direct link bypassing the conscious mind allowing us to find issues that we may not even be aware are causing us problems and resolve them to be able to function better in life.

In a way I see the views that are against hypnotherapy to be akin to saying dreams are stupid and pointless. >_<
post #36 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:10 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurryUpHarry View Post
I'd be willing to give hypnotherapy a go.

I don't believe for one second it'll completely restructure my thought process where social interaction is concerned but used in conjunction with meds and CBT what harm (apart from a few hundred quid) can it do. For me personally, my SA developed due to a traumatic experience I suffered 10 yrs ago. Previous to that I was a happy-go-lucky type person. If hypnotherapy can take me back to that particular time in my life and somehow help change my original irrational thoughts brought on by the trauma then that can only be a good thing.

Or do I have that completely wrong, that's not at all how it works?

H.
it dont work like that, it carnt take you back in time, or every murderer would go an say ,take me back a few years i want to forget the 6people i killed
post #37 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiccups View Post
I've never gasped so much in a long time *looks at foxy*... you shoot down hypnotherapy faster than an Olympic grade shooter shoots down skeets based on your own bad experiences. I'm sorry you feel the way you do but one negative post of you bashing hypnotherapy is more than enough...don't ya think? If you don't like it then cool ...go and read other threads yeah?

Obviously I'm all for hypnotherapy and believe success is based largely on the individuals feelings regarding hypnotherapy and the skills of the practitioner. Also if you can focus on a television for more than ten minutes and fall asleep at night then you have the ability to be hypnotised, if you have tried and failed it's most likely related to those two points I mentioned.

When we dream at night that is our subconscious mind communicating with us in symbols and analogies. There are times when our SM will express issues and problems that we have in indirect ways that we may not understand. Tapping into the SM through hypnotherapy is like creating a direct link bypassing the conscious mind allowing us to find issues that we may not even be aware are causing us problems and resolve them to be able to function better in life.

In a way I see the views that are against hypnotherapy to be akin to saying dreams are stupid and pointless. >_<
to help some one with cronic mental illness , know way , you would pay 100,000 hipnosis an still not get passed the first session.
post #38 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
it dont work like that, it carnt take you back in time, or every murderer would go an say ,take me back a few years i want to forget the 6people i killed
errrr where are you getting your info from? lols >_<
Hypnotherapy is well known to help people with repressed memories of trauma.. it's one of the most common reasons people see hypnotherapists! Post-traumatic stress on the other hand I can't speak for, it's not something I've researched thoroughly enough, though I have heard people say it's at least treatable. It all depends on the individual and the severity of their trauma. Killing six people is a huge difference from something that is only mild.. hurryupharry didn't even make that distinction before you shot his comment down in flames. Which speaks volumes.
When we experience something that is trumatic our mind doesn't always process it there and then and we in a way forget the events so we can't process them later (usually while asleep) yet the pain and anxiety stay with us, hypnosis can help to unlock those memories so that we can deal with them and in turn remove the emotional issues that came about from them.

Quote:
to help some one with cronic mental illness , know way , you would pay 100,000 hipnosis an still not get passed the first session.
I think I can understand this sentence... it's a little.... hhmmmm but correct me if I'm way off the mark. Hypnotherapy does serve a positive purpose when performed correctly, it can help with a wide range of emotional issues but if someone has a cronic mental illness then there are steps that need to be completed before even considering if hypnotherapy would have any benefits or if it's even needed at all.
post #39 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:19 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Whoa there horse. You're coming across as slightly hostile fella.

I was under the impression, from the little I do know about Hypnotherapy, that hypnosis is partly based on bringing repressed memories to the conscious mind. Which can then be used to tackle any issues or problems one may have regarding said memories.

When faced with making a decision that you don't particularly want to make but you know is necessary and then hurting yourself through substance abuse because of the guilt involved with making that decision and going on a Killing spree are two completley different things, wouldn't you agree? So the example you used is well.... a bit crap, no?. Just a suggestion, get the full story before using examples in the future.

H.
post #40 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:30 AM
SAS Member

The 6 murders were extreme, to force a point over nothing aggessive, its just i have never seen a hypnotherapist in any mental hospital i have had the miss fortune to be in. Neither any GP has never mentioned it to me. I suppose if you have suffered 1 trama you carnt forget its worth a try, But clinical depression is a world of trama , an if in the eye of the storm is impenetrable. Thats the point im makeing MENTAL ILLNESS . Not every day neurotic unhappiness. If you nuke one thing say in hypnosis ,another will take its place in the mentally ill. An example a P-DOC suggested to put a elastic band round your wrist, an whenever you had the thing that was obbsessing you ,you flicked the elastic band, an programed your brain to remove the thought. But he forgot one main factor ,you had the band round you wrist night an day. So if you had removed the thought from your mind , every time you looked at the elastic band it brought it straight back. My point there is aways a triger waiting out there, hypnosis or not
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page