Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

Old 01-01-2015, 02:17 PM
SAS Member

From a therapist: if you want to explore EMDR look at the EMDRIA site and find a therapist who is certified by EMDRIA. This indicates more experience under expert supervision. It is important to work with someone who has a lot of experience with EMDR, especially for complex trauma or traumatic grief/loss, early severe trauma. If a therapist is NOT trained by an EMDRIA certified trainer it would be wise to look elsewhere. Any therapist who jumps in too quickly or relies on just the mechanics of Bilateral Stimulation is not keeping fidelity to the model. Because EMDR could look simple (it is not and requires adequate training) there may be those who jump in and do parts of the treatment without thorough training. People I've worked with on their trauma/anxiety have taught me a lot and I am grateful to them for that. It has also taught me when NOT to use EMDR as well as when to use EMDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 05:11 AM
SAS Member

I am currently going through this treatment. I was abused as a child and didn't tell anyone but my husband for 20 years. I thought I was doing my parents some sort of "favor" by not speaking about it. When I graduated from college, I moved out of state and tried to just start a new chapter in life. Gradually I built up my self confidence and thought I had moved on.

My abuse covers all forms but the biggest were emotional (including brainwashing) and neglect.

Quite frankly, I never wanted to talk about it again. But the patterns started repeating with one of my children. I was an only child so she couldn't pick a favorite. But I have 2 and she picked a favorite and never, ever got onto him but was very hard on the other one. Even though we live in Michigan and she lives in Oklahoma, it still impacted my son.

My husband and I were considering moving to Asia for work and my mom completely flipped out. She became verbally abusive again. She would say awful things and then immediately deny them. She would call and scream at me and call me horrible names.

I felt I had no choice but to confront her about the childhood abuse. I told her I was 38 and married, never asked her for anything, and was not going to allow her to abuse me or any of my family. She denied any abuse EVER!

After 3 months of debating this and arguing (and I'm not a fighter, I hate it!), my health collapsed and I started having PTSD symptoms. This included some social anxiety.

I eventually ended up with a trauma therapist. She uses EMDR. I was very skeptical. But it has worked. We have to use talk therapy, too, because we are having to dig up old memories to work with. Needless to say, we didn't move to Asia!

I can't understand how it works but it does! I hold two metal bars. I close my eyes. We bring up a memory for me to focus on and she turns on the metal bars on and they vibrate, each one for about 30 seconds, going back and forth.

My social anxiety is pretty much gone but I still have a lot of anxiety issues so we are still working through talk therapy and using EMDR at times.

I have no idea why it works but it truly does. I am a BIG believer!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-05-2015, 04:47 AM
SAS Member

My therapist started this last session to go over some embarrassing incidents from my childhood. I don't think it's going to help, but I'm trying to believe in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smort49 View Post
From a therapist: if you want to explore EMDR look at the EMDRIA site and find a therapist who is certified by EMDRIA. This indicates more experience under expert supervision.
Mine's not on there, what should I do? She said she took some classes on it with experienced people, but I don't know what qualifications there are.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:02 PM
SAS Member

I've tried this a few times. It's supposed to stimulate areas of the brain to counter the feelings. I haven't had it enough times to know if it was of any benefit though.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB1 View Post
Does anyone know where this is available and if this is free or not?
Yes, you can try EMDR online in http://SelfBetter.com website

It has a free trial.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:46 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Blah
I've done this treatment,and I was very skeptical before doing it. Seemed weird to just sit there and follow some lights back and forward,and that was supposed to help with earlier traumas.

We picked out some episodes with my parents and bullying since that affected me a lot. The first time was the hardest because I felt bodily discomfort and it kept moving around my body,but with each session of lights(eye movement) it grew weaker.
Some episodes were harder than others,so some took longer while others didn't need much time.

I think I felt a change after doing this treatment. I used a lot of time going over episodes and they affected me so deeply. I haven't seen my parents after doing this treatment,so I'm not sure if I'll go back to that little insecure girl who was desperate for their approval,but I think something has changed. I feel more mad and give myself more sympathy for what I experienced,rather than just blaming myself and thinking that there is something wrong with myself.
It will be interesting to see how I react when I go to see them

I don't think that this treatment is a fix,but I think it can be helpful together with other treatment.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:49 AM
miles away

Language: English and Spanish.
My Mood: Lurking
I tried it for the first time yesterday. The therapist held up two of her fingers instead of using lights. I feel like it helped me organize my thoughts a bit, but other than that, it didn't do much for me. It was awkward when we would stop and she would ask me what had changed, what I was seeing, what I was feeling. Most of the time I didn't know what to respond and I almost felt forced to make **** up. I prefer talking and exposure exercises.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

She searched the city for anyone. I ran into her on a bus stop. And then she asked me for a light, and then I asked her, "Are you alright?" She said, "I think there's something wrong, I don't belong, I don't belong."
She lives in gardens, she lives alone. She runs through seasons on her own. And no one knows her or knows her name. And no one ever found out again.