Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) - Page 8 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #141 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella36uk View Post
Hi All
I done CBT last year and didnt find it helped one bit, the women who done it was horrible, she wasnt there for me she asked me the same questions every week and made me fill out the same forms every week, theirs no way i would do it again, i am under my gp, nutty doctor and a psycotheaphy im on 200mg sertralin a day and 45mg miratazapine, in the mornings plus pregabalin 200mg, then 10mg zolpidem @ night and still i dont sleep very well, my anxiety depression has got so bad at the moment again i feel like i cant take much more. ive suffered with it for 34yrs so since i was 3yrs old, my mother thought she had the worlds youngest looney lol id sit up all night rocking back and forth for months on end while she was pregnant with my brother, even now in social events the anxiety kicks in big time , even now writing this i have a bucket at side of me because im feeling very sick shacky my chest is tight im going to have a panic attack, but i always do the minute the sun goes down it kicks in big time. Does anyone else suffer with panic attack when it gets dark?
blessings
Bella
Hi Bella! Rocking back and forth, especially when you're a kid is not a symptom of social anxiety. That's a symptom of asperger's syndrome, maybe you can check that with a dr.! Do you have difficulty with eye contact? Do you have difficulty recognizing facial expressions and gestures? If so, you might have asperger's. It is nice to find out why you're the way you are. I was relieved when I found out I had social anxiety because it made me realize I wasn't a freak, people with asperger's have the same feeling when they realize they have it.

Here is a link for an Asperger's test:
http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test/

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
SAS Member

I have started CBT and finding it really helpful. I have social anxiety and blushing. The CBT guy suggested I pose a question to people - honestly, what is peoples reaction/thoughts when you see someone blush? what do you think? I'm interested to hear, because I seem to have a fundamental belief that people are absolutely horrified by it???
post #143 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused92 View Post
Hello,i just registered to your forum.I am 18 years old and i am having a problem.I don't really know what it is,i thought you could probably help.
I was always considered to be a shy person and very sensitive.I have difficulty making eye contact with people.I can't look into their eyes for more than a few seconds,i have to try hard to do that.And i often get that ''frozen look''.Since i was younger i remember having anxiety problems,but maybe not so intense,or i just underestimated them and thought they would pass through time.My symptoms include:

-Heart pounding.My heart is beating so fast.I can't stop it.
-I also shake.Not very much,but it's recognizable.This creates me problems;i cannot really make facial expressions because i will look like stupid.
-I have difficulty talking.My voice shakes a lot,and this scaries me.I think it is embarassing.

These are my symptoms.I don't feel dizziness,nor sense of dying or anything like these stuff i have often read about.
This ''thing'' happens to me in various cases.For example

-if i have to make an oral presentation(even if it's for people i see everyday or really often).
-oral exams at school.

-introducing myself in a classroom for a first time.The more i wait to introduce myself,the more anxious I get and all these symptoms happen.
-Taking initiative.This is something i don't know when it really happens.It happened once when i wanted to call my godfather through skype to wish him for his birthday.It happens when i want to call a girl and i see her as more than a friend.For example if i think that something is going on between us or if i think i want a relationship with her,i get that anxiety.As a result,i can't really propose a girl to go out with me.Everytime i was thinking about it,my anxiety made it impossible to make it.I never had a relationship before.Another example,i got that anxiety when it was my birthday and about 30 people were singing happy birthday to me.There are also other occasions which i don't remember.
The most important thing is,in my opinion,that my anxiety is excessive given the circumstances.I see all my friends and all my schoolmates being relaxed in situations i am so much anxious about.

It has happened to me about 7-8 times the last 4 months.
I have never told anyone before about this.
Another information you maybe want to know,i am also a very good student,i have always been a great student and i know that,the thing in my life right now that concerns me the most is this anxiety.It's incredibly annoying.I have done no drugs,i don't drink much alcohol and i just don't know what is wrong.I have tried to stop it.With positive thoughts,thinking that i am strong and i don't fear anything,or thinking that i don't care about what other people think of me.It just doesn't stop.

I am so sorry for my long text...i hope i didn't get you tired.I would be gladful if you answered to my post.What exactly do i have?Is that social anxiety?Can it really be treated with CBT?Does anyone else here have the exact same symptoms?I am willing to do everything it takes to stop these anxiety feelings.Thank you for your understanding

I have the exact same conditions, exactly how you described, and I am also a very good student, but this anxiety stands in the way, kills my motivation for everything and really holding me back...when I get these attacks I feel completely embarrassed and worthless, it is the worst feeling. Other than when the anxiety happens I feel like a normal person, but always in the back of my mind I dread another embarrassing moment.
have you done CBT, did you find it helpful?

post #144 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 PM
SAS Member

I'm trying to decide whether to go to a psychologist or psychiatrist and I'm having trouble. I've tried both in the past. The psychologist was worthless. He didn't listen and his answer seemed to be just go do this or that (join a club, etc...). If it was as easy as that, I wouldn't be paying $100 a session to hear it. On the other hand, the psychiatrist prescribed meds that did help a little (very little, but it was better than nothing) but I eventually quit those because the side effects became too horrible.

Drugs are drugs. I'm sure there will be some level of improvement with one or the other, but I don't really want to deal with side effects and ultimately withdrawal symptoms again, so I'm leaning towards a psychologist and CBT. The problem is, I frankly don't believe it will work. This may be an odd question, but do I have to believe it's going to work to get anything out of it? Was the other psychologist just lousy? And finally, is even good CBT just basically going to tell me to "suck it up" and get over it? If so, I'll just roll the dice with the meds again.
post #145 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM
SAS Member

I'm doing CBT both individually and in a group with the college counselor and I'm finding it helpful. But I love the counselor, she's amazing. She seems to know me better than I know myself. Over the past couple months I've made a lot of progress. I was very depressed and feeling hopeless when I first started seeing her and now I feel great, chatty and more relaxed.
post #146 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy84 View Post
I have started CBT and finding it really helpful. I have social anxiety and blushing. The CBT guy suggested I pose a question to people - honestly, what is peoples reaction/thoughts when you see someone blush? what do you think? I'm interested to hear, because I seem to have a fundamental belief that people are absolutely horrified by it???
Well I know with one person I found it very attractive, but that was a long time ago. I think mostly when I see someone blush I feel affection - I feel like the person is 'real'. I've heard others say that blushing shows that you have a consonance - and everyone appreciates that I think.
post #147 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazteca View Post
I'm trying to decide whether to go to a psychologist or psychiatrist and I'm having trouble. I've tried both in the past. The psychologist was worthless. He didn't listen and his answer seemed to be just go do this or that (join a club, etc...). If it was as easy as that, I wouldn't be paying $100 a session to hear it. On the other hand, the psychiatrist prescribed meds that did help a little (very little, but it was better than nothing) but I eventually quit those because the side effects became too horrible.

Drugs are drugs. I'm sure there will be some level of improvement with one or the other, but I don't really want to deal with side effects and ultimately withdrawal symptoms again, so I'm leaning towards a psychologist and CBT. The problem is, I frankly don't believe it will work. This may be an odd question, but do I have to believe it's going to work to get anything out of it? Was the other psychologist just lousy? And finally, is even good CBT just basically going to tell me to "suck it up" and get over it? If so, I'll just roll the dice with the meds again.

If you are asking if it is a placebo I don't think so. I think you really can change the way your brain operates, but if you really really don't think it will work then I suppose you'll (subconsciously) make sure it doesn't. For me it was more about 'learning my patterns' but I think my thought processes changed a bit too. I haven't wanted to suicide since 2010, and I almost can't remember now what that was like. (I'm not assuming you are suicidal, I'm just talking about how I changed)
post #148 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 AM
SAS Member

Different things work for different people, based on your beliefs, thinking style, etc.

Personally, I'm quite an emotional/sensative person, and I believe this is why CBT never really worked for me on a deep enough level. In fact, CBT quite often just made me feel like I was going nutso, because I'd be fighting my thoughts so much, instead of just letting them be thoughts, and not giving them so much power.

If you can stick with CBT long enough to influence your deep underlying beliefs, then yes, it will make a difference, but in my experience it was too long a battle, and I didn't believe in CBT enough.

That's just me though, and it's proven that it's worked for thousands of people. So if you're considering it, I suggest trying it for sure....

I've Tried CBT, NLP, Exposure, and none of it worked for me. I'm now having great success with EFT, using this specific course designed for SAD sufferers by an Ex SAD sufferer, who overcame his own 10 yr + Social Anxiety Disorder WATCH HIS STORY OF HOW HE OVERCAME IT ON THIS VIDEO
post #149 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 AM
Permanently Banned

Has anyone been able to do CBT while still taking their medication, especially a benzodiazapine as many conducting the CBT would probably think being under the influence would cloud the patients mind?
post #150 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM
SAS Member

hello my friends i'm a brazzilian guy so sorry for english,I came here to give my own version about CBT.
six years ago i did realize about the symptons of the social anxiety disorder,but in my case its that reaveled only on public performances,this start soft and make me feel worse day after day,each school seminar my anxiety grows and I avoided a lot of similar situations.i'm was feelling awnful and i didn't hold up,i'm search that symptons on internet and I find social anxiety disorder,later i bought a lot of self-help books about S.A.D,one of these talking of the CBT on the treatment of social anxiety disorder,so,i bought some books of CBT and learn all the theory,concepts,methods and the practice since i didn't had enough money to pay a therapy and my problem didn't allow me to find a job,my family didn't understand my problem and didn't offer support,I was alone,but reading the books,applying the concepts of CBT on my life,make an effort,that was finishing,2 years later i didn't avoid public performances or to talk with strangers,I'm feeling much better,and now i have a job and on therapy to make me much secure

so,look i don't no what the level of your SAD problem but my tip is,don't give up,the symptons of anxiety are normal,its just the way you think was modified and you don't accept,that conflict with yourself made u anxious,cos something on your mind was changed during your life and you don't accept,but changing the way you think can beat that conflict,and is exactly what CBT make,that therapy change the way u think to later change the way u act,and that was made with security,if u have enough money to pay a therapy do it because will make u feel very safe of your progress and conscious of the improvement,if your social anxiety disorder be very hard,search a psychologist with CBT formation and a psiquiatric or learn the CBT concepts and use
post #151 of 358 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 PM
SAS Member

This Sucks!

CBT is the ONLY solution to social anxiety and it doesn't work. What a bunch of BS.

I am 25 years old and I want to enjoy my life. I was trying to be proactive and resolve my SA issue once in for all. Now I read here that CBT doesn't even work.

I don't have it bad, but I feel so lonely. I can go and ask questions, I am NOT afraid to go to gyms or grocery shopping. I have issues with socializing for long time. I cant go out on dinners with group of friends because I am so quiet and afraid to be myself. Thats my issue. I just want to go out with my friends but can't. I am charming, funny, sweet, and good looking, but I have to hide all of that because of my random irrational fear of socializing. I def don't want to get on meds (paxil) and loose my sex drive and gain weight, but I want to live and talk to guys I like and stand in front of group of people and be myself. Since CBT doesn't work, I have no other options but to go on meds. this sucks.
post #152 of 358 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 AM
SAS Member

This Sucks!

Don't be alone. Don't think just about yourself and your personality. Think over that you are with people and people are with with with nature and environment.

I am Emdad. I am Interested in all good site.
post #153 of 358 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan2013 View Post
CBT is the ONLY solution to social anxiety and it doesn't work. What a bunch of BS.

I am 25 years old and I want to enjoy my life. I was trying to be proactive and resolve my SA issue once in for all. Now I read here that CBT doesn't even work.

I don't have it bad, but I feel so lonely. I can go and ask questions, I am NOT afraid to go to gyms or grocery shopping. I have issues with socializing for long time. I cant go out on dinners with group of friends because I am so quiet and afraid to be myself. Thats my issue. I just want to go out with my friends but can't. I am charming, funny, sweet, and good looking, but I have to hide all of that because of my random irrational fear of socializing. I def don't want to get on meds (paxil) and loose my sex drive and gain weight, but I want to live and talk to guys I like and stand in front of group of people and be myself. Since CBT doesn't work, I have no other options but to go on meds. this sucks.

CBT is definitely not the only solution to social anxiety and I wonder why
you would conclude that with all the information available on this website.
post #154 of 358 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 AM
sam

Hello to all. I've just joined the forum, sooo this was my experience with CBT.

I've always been shy growing up, but never feared people and social situations until 2 years out of High school. I was taking a lot of drugs at that time, and after a big night out I had a drug induced physios that made me shut out all of my friends and severely changed my outlook on life. Since then I developed SA, where i would avoid situations, hide in the bathroom at work, try and be alone, drink to feel better etc.

I was diagnosed, prescribed Zoloft, and went to a to a therapist for 6 sessions practicing CBT. It was a lot of work and I felt it benefited me, but unfortunately I stopped practicing at home. My anxiety comes in waves, and one week I can feel great, but the next I can't even talk to anyone. I'll think that i'm better all of a sudden, but then the beast will return! They judge what I say, what are they thinking, how do I act? etc.

I went back to therapy again, and did some work outside of CBT, surrounding my family/social history. I found this to help only a little and I still struggled, so I discontinued the treatment.

I've been travelling and working abroad, and the SA has gotten worse. I've developed a sever stutter, where my lips seize up and I babble uncontrollably for seconds. I shake and sweat, and people notice (or i think they do). It doesn't help that i work in the customer service industry where you have to be in the spotlight, smiley and confident even when you feel like running and hiding.

I've had to quit my job overseas and travel back home to really concentrate on getting better. The thought of going back to work frightens me, but I believe that CBT can help. It seems to be the best avenue for me.

Anyways thats my little story.

I hope after re-starting the therapy I can come back to the site and tell you all of my confidence and comfort with myself and others.
post #155 of 358 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan2013 View Post

Have you actually tried CBT? Or other face-to-face therapy?
I have yet to try it myself, and I am skeptical as well, but that's more because my physical anxiety symptoms are probably my biggest issue. Meaning I am the kind of person that might have a panic attack ("out of the blue") in a grocery store, or asking someone unfamiliar a question. And CBT will force me to go through those issues rather than mask them (like meds).
If you do your research about CBT, it seems like your situation is the very thing it is most helpful for.
So far as I have experienced, and read, no medication will make you better at socializing. CBT, however, targets your specific fears (say, of just being yourself around people/you're attracted to). Plus, CBT is (relatively) short-term (unlike meds, which stop being effective when you stop taking them). Also, sometimes a combination of meds w/therapy is a good idea.
post #156 of 358 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM
SAS Member

neurofeedback,trial-based cognitive therapy,biofeedback,that is the new solutions to social anxiety you ll try?
post #157 of 358 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM
SAS Member

CBT and what it has provided can prove useful and not as useful at certain times. It really depends for me and if I can cope. If I have super intense anxiety than CBT does not really help me at all no matter how many times I tell myself one thing or another, it can help for a tiny bit but usually just comes back in a strong wave of anxiety. If my anxiety is not as strong than I am able to deal with it with breathing techniques and a bit of CBT, that usually is able to get me back to a calmer state.
post #158 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 PM
SAS Member

I had social anxiety for 6 years. please help me
post #159 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benriv15 View Post
Thats nothing, try 34 years. I ve gotten better and gotten rid of some of it , but i still have a mild case of it
post #160 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 PM
TheNeuroticLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by benriv15 View Post
I hear your plea, but you should really seek professional help. I doubt anyone can help you through a forum.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page