Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 358 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:26 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoBobTing View Post
Confused92, it sounds very much like you have social anxiety disorder. CBT is one of the very best treatments currently available for it. Many people here share your symptoms. Alongside CBT, you might also want to consider taking a beta blocker, as you list physical symptoms e.g. shaking, and beta blockers often help with such symptoms. Talk to your doctor about it.
Shaking is quite common of the fight or flight response in relation to your body producing adrenaline, which you don't use to RUN away from the "danger".

Diaphragmatic breathing works to prevent the panic attack.

For me, CBT is far better than any medication for panic attacks / anxiety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 358 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Hard Way = Best Way.

I've been on CBT since 2009 and, while it is long as hell to overcome the Anxiety problem, I can feel the huge progress I've done (which encourages me to continue moving forward). It is of a great value only to be able to express my feelings with a professional and look for solutions.

The only thing I can suggest to people looking for advice: DON'T jump into medication before doing CBT because most of them are difficult to get rid of.

Hard Way = Best Way.
post #43 of 358 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Hard Way = Best Way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorNic View Post
Hi, guys. Today is my first day on the forum and I stumbled upon this thread. It disheartens me to think that some people have really taken to negative thoughts about CBT (but, honestly, I'd say I'm not surprised.. because it is in our nature with s.a.d. to have negative thoughts). I wanted to discuss a bit about my current treatment.

I live in South Florida and found an anxiety treatment center at the University of Miami. It's generally Phd students who are working towards becoming psychologists, but I must say.. my experience overall has been great. They are supervised by licensed professionals (so, yes, there are cameras involved but I tend to forget they're there). I began my treatment at the end of September so I've only been in treatment about 2 and a half months.

In particular.. I see a therapist individually once a week for about 50 minutes and I also joined the group session which is held once a week for about 2 hours. I have had many ups and downs (but fortunately more ups).

I have to say, that I can't imagine any other way to work on social anxiety. I'm 26 and have had these horrible habits since I was at least 5 years old. I fear embarassment and constantly worry about what others are thinking of me. Do they think I'm stupid? Am I bothering them by merely conversing with them? CBT helps put me in situations which I've avoided all my life... asking questions in a store, striking up a conversation with a stranger, and presenting in front of groups of varying size. Without CBT and without my therapists, I just don't see how I could have possibly performed these exposures on my own. I highly recommend it.. and if you're able, I would certainly attempt this with a therapist because reading a book doesn't give you the same push that maybe a therapist can give.

Essentially, I feel disheartened by others' negative experiences because I wonder if they were hoping to be "fixed" in a short amount of time. In many cases (such as my own) those with social anxiety have had the disorder for countless years and the thoughts and habits that accumulated over these years certainly can't be undone within a matter of weeks or even months. While my treatment is limited to a certain amount of weeks, there are follow-ups and I have been given the tools to work on reducing my negative automatic thoughts in the future. Therapy is only at a maximum a few hours a week, the rest of the week (and your life) is up to you.

If you're considering CBT as a treatment, I highly recommend it. But it takes a lot of courage, patience, and most importantly commitment. Are you ready to make a change? If so, CBT is for you. If not, it won't be successful. I hope I helped with this long post (oops! ).. if I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask! In conjunction with therapy.. I also have begun reading "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by David D. Burns, M.D. and I am finding it helpful as well, so far.

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it." - Bill Cosby
Brilliant post.

post #44 of 358 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 03:48 AM
SAS Member

message deleted
post #45 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:07 AM
SAS Member

Tried It.

I tried this therapy for a few weeks before calling it quits. The first few sessions were OK until the therapist brought one of the receptionists into the room and I had to have a conversation with her...knowing all the while she was grading me on my behavior. After she gave me a poor review, I felt my SA get only worse. My therapist said this was a process of desensitization and that my interactions would only get better, but I became petrified and could not continue. Arrg!!
post #46 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:14 AM
roarrrr

When I was in the hospital partial program we did CBT on self-harming behaviours. It really helped.

I never tried to it with SA though.
post #47 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 AM
SAS Member

This thread is the first time for me hearing of CBT. After reading through and reading a little more about it, I've notice that a lot of the things I've been doing, are very similar to what CBT is all about. I guess I've been doing CBT without even knowing it. If so I think CBT is great whether with a professional or doing it on your own.
post #48 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue4ever View Post
I tried this therapy for a few weeks before calling it quits. The first few sessions were OK until the therapist brought one of the receptionists into the room and I had to have a conversation with her...knowing all the while she was grading me on my behavior. After she gave me a poor review, I felt my SA get only worse. My therapist said this was a process of desensitization and that my interactions would only get better, but I became petrified and could not continue. Arrg!!
a good therapist shouldn't give a "poor review". I highly recommend CBT whether you do it by yourself or with a therapist. good luck

I had no place to live

I couldn't find one

I don't know if I could have any hope for the future
post #49 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue4ever View Post
I am sorry you had such a negative experience. Like KimberlyAnn Rose said, the CBT therapist should not be conducting therapy in that way. I don't know if she was working out of a book that uses well-researched therapy or not, but either way, she sounds like she was doing it wrong.

See if you can work up the courage to give it a try with another therapist and if you can, ask them these questions first:
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...sts/#questions
post #50 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 AM
SAS Member

Drew is right... you should definitely screen the therapist.

A lot of therapists have never experienced Social Anxiety or have not had clients with it...or have had clients with it, but were not open minded enough to really understand it.

You should definitely screen them to see their experience with CBT for Social Anxiety specifically. If you feel a nervous about screening them you can have a family member do this for you. I had my sister actually go in with me to therapy because I was really scared to at the time...oh so many years ago.

And I'm thankful I did it.

If you guys want to learn basics of CBT you can check out my group below in my second link of my signature

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...p-therapy-357/
Online Cognitive Behavioral Group Therapy (CBT) - Join if interested in Overcoming SA
post #51 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekParker View Post
If you feel a nervous about screening them you can have a family member do this for you. I had my sister actually go in with me to therapy because I was really scared to at the time...oh so many years ago.
That's a really good idea!

Another thing you can try is emailing them, or calling and asking for the therapist's email address.

If the therapist actually has experience with and understanding of social anxiety, they would be more than willing to answer a few questions by email before an initial session.
post #52 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
SAS Member

CBT does work. But you have to be aware that you WILL experience setbacks along the way. With the wrong mindset your SA will get worse if you experience something negative. Work your way up to it also. You can't go from being a housebound hermit with no social skills to asking a girl out in public the next day.

I think that's where people get negative experiences from this type of therapy, they push themselves too hard right away.

I do believe that the absolute worst thing you can do to yourself is to avoid things. Avoidance just creates more stress and can spiral you into depression. Even if the anxious situation doesn't go as planned you still feel better afterward knowing you tried. I speak from experience.
post #53 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 04:23 PM
SAS Member

What if there are no cbt therapists in your area?
post #54 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:23 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustii7 View Post
What if there are no cbt therapists in your area?
There probably is a cbt therapist in your area. Just do a search online.

For me, my CBT sessions cost $50-60 a session depending on whether I get a package deal or not. My psychologist is also a intern at the psychological center. Is it bad that she is just an intern?
post #55 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 PM
SAS Member

I consider myself a conquerer of SA, although I believe it's impossible to fully be anxiety free.

I was forced by the courts to seek intensive alcohol abuse outpatient therapy. I went through a local service. I got accepted by their program and only had to pay $2 a visit, and my requirement is one meeting with her per week.

She's young. Early 30's I'd say maybe younger? Anyways, I told her I knew my underlying problem for drinking was my Social Anxiety, and told her I had not drank in months and felt I was not an alcoholic.

This lady just so happened to look at me surprised and said she has training in CBT and anxiety. So my sessions ended up being all based on my social anxiety instead of alcohol abuse.

She helped me realize my thought patterns and helped changed my thinking and perspective on life.

I still see her weekly and hope to continue for as long as I can.

Bare in mind I am a 21 year old male .

Thanks for listening.

keep running boy your life can change in one year.
and even when it's dark out the sun is shining somewhere.
post #56 of 358 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:55 AM
bobbie

I've been in therapy for over a year now. I can see the change at least in understanding why am I the way I am. I see my therapist weekly, where we talk the first thing she askes me every session is how you feel? This is the key, recognizing your feelings, and have your thoughts your feelings and your actions in harmony with each other. Quieting your thoughts.

She is one person that truly understands me I feel, and I enjoy our sessions, and I was lucky enough to get a good therapist who specializes in that.

I am taking Klonopin which my psychiatrist prescribes to me, I take it on prn bases, I can take up to 1.5 mg a day but I usually don't, there are days where I don't even take it at all, because I know about the danger of addiction. However Klonopin does make me very sleepy but it does help tremendously. I tried Effexor and seratonium which didn't work the only thing it did for me is increase my appetite which I really didn't need.

Therapy with help of medication is proven by science to have to best outcomes. You have to be willing, you have to keep going to therapy, be open, and a good therapist will help you with that, they don't judge, they are there to help.
post #57 of 358 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:26 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie1374 View Post
I've been in therapy for over a year now. I can see the change at least in understanding why am I the way I am. I see my therapist weekly, where we talk the first thing she askes me every session is how you feel? This is the key, recognizing your feelings, and have your thoughts your feelings and your actions in harmony with each other. Quieting your thoughts.

She is one person that truly understands me I feel, and I enjoy our sessions, and I was lucky enough to get a good therapist who specializes in that.

I am taking Klonopin which my psychiatrist prescribes to me, I take it on prn bases, I can take up to 1.5 mg a day but I usually don't, there are days where I don't even take it at all, because I know about the danger of addiction. However Klonopin does make me very sleepy but it does help tremendously. I tried Effexor and seratonium which didn't work the only thing it did for me is increase my appetite which I really didn't need.

Therapy with help of medication is proven by science to have to best outcomes. You have to be willing, you have to keep going to therapy, be open, and a good therapist will help you with that, they don't judge, they are there to help.

Great post! I agree with everything you said. If you need to take medications, there is no shame in taking them as I have been on them since I was in 4th grade. Sometimes they will add that extra oomph if you ever need something to push you to get better. And if you ever feel the need or wish to get off the medications you could always ween yourself off of them with the help of a professional.

I myself am taking CBT right now and find it to be absolutely fascinating and exciting. Sure sometimes I have setbacks, but I always have to keep in mind that I now see the light at the end of the tunnel and this has never been the case in what I tried previously. I try to remain optimistic as being a cynic can only slow me down and upset my progress!
post #58 of 358 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Existing in Non-Existance

My Mood: Lurking
I tried it and did better for a little while. But, unfortunately, seem to have relapsed back into my same ole SA patterns. I think the only CBT that'll work for me is, Cerebral Bat Therapy.

"Life is something that happens when you can't sleep."
- Fran Lebowitz
post #59 of 358 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:15 AM
SAS Member

ive been in therapy for over ten years to no avail. maybe i should find another therapist. maybe a psychoanalyst. maybe get back on antidepressants. i sometimes think that therapy has done absolutely nothing for me. maybe there's no cure for me. maybe i just suck at therapy? maybe my therapists have sucked, i think that's quite likely. maybe my SA is terminal. where's the thread for self pity? for it is my only source of comfort in these dark times.
post #60 of 358 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
SAS Member

Is it possible that CBT (using exposure) can make your social anxiety worse? I think it has for me...
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page