Cognitive-Behavioral Group Therapy (CBGT) - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:04 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj65 View Post
I tried cbt group once and it was total bs how can u get any thing out of it when evan the moderator is judjing you negatively.
That does not sound anything like the CBT I had. There is not supposed to be any judging in CBT. We were just taught several tools that helped us help ourselves deal effectively with our anxiety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 AM
SAS Member

Yea I do get hit hard every time I go to CBT in part is truth but at the same time is not.
I mean who the **** is him to judge me, of How I really am, WHo?
We all have our own shyt even the therapist, Just try to accept it who you are and do not listen to anyone but yourself.

And I forget just why I taste
Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile
I found it hard; it's hard to find
Oh well, whatever, never mind...
post #63 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 02:56 AM
SAS Member

And WHy is Selena Gomez everywhere with the NEO ADDS, I mean seriously is this what we have to put up? they are shoving all these thing down our throats. cruel internet...

And I forget just why I taste
Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile
I found it hard; it's hard to find
Oh well, whatever, never mind...

post #64 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 AM
SAS Member

I have been denied CBT they reckon my anxiety is too severe for me to be able to concentrate. I also suffer from selective mutism and when I saw a psychologist she refused to treat me because I couldn't talk, she just kept saying over and over if I dont talk i cant have therapy I ended up running from the building and she almost pushed me over the line.
post #65 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 AM
SAS Member

Were you asked give your responses in written form? That kind of disregard is outrageous!
post #66 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:50 PM
SAS Member

Is there any possible way to beat this on my own
post #67 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 05:50 PM
SAS Member

My Therapist

Every time a topic comes up in therapy our therapist stops and starts talking about how she can relate because something happened to her before, blah blah and takes up half of our session talking about herself. My husband has ADHAD, she has ADHAD, I have PTSD, she has PTSD, I recovered from Cancer, She recovered from Cancer. It got the point of naseum for me and I put my foot down in a session now my husband won't go back because I embarrassed him. (excuse to not go) He agreed it was getting old before I said something. Now, of course, he blames me that we are not going and when he gets mad he tells me I need professional help. He has resorted to start text arguments with me which is very hard for me to even wrap my head around considering he is 64 years old.
post #68 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 PM
SAS Member

Does anyone else feel worse after there sessions, Knowing that in the group your the only one who cant contribute anything and feel out of place.

'Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.'
post #69 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:31 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtinthematrix View Post
Does anyone else feel worse after there sessions, Knowing that in the group your the only one who cant contribute anything and feel out of place.
Actually, this is a good thing. You are becoming exposed to things that you aren't used to. Keep pressing through the nerves. Each time you go, you become more accustomed to the people and the lessons covered.

Feeling out of place in a group like that is definitely negative thinking.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #70 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 08:36 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtinthematrix View Post
I can see where you are coming from.

I made the 'mistake', of trying to toastmasters meetings (public speaking groups) to meet my fear head on. I thought if I just forced myself to do public speaking over, and over again I'd get past this thing.

However, the result was that my anxiety was ratcheted up to 11, for the meetings, and if anything it re-enforced my fears. Now, I'm thinking a 'smarter' way of approaching this problem would be to first dis-associate the fear with social situations in the first place.

I mean, lets say someone is scared of drowning due to the fact they can't swim. Would the correct course of action be to just throw them in the water over and over? Hell no. They'd continually sink, and have their fears completely re-enforced. First you have to teach that person to swim, and then when they start going in the water they will realize it's a situation they can handle, and the fear will stop.

I'm sorry to ramble a bit OT on your point. I wish I had an answer for you, but just wanted to say that I know where you are coming from. I think you have to get to the point of being able to participate in the group in a way where your fears are not coming to fruition, and that may help to change the way you analyze social situations, but I'm not sure the answer to get there.
post #71 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:53 PM
SAS Member

How does one find a CBT group? Does a therapist recommend one to you?
post #72 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Pillock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta View Post
How does one find a CBT group? Does a therapist recommend one to you?
Yes, i had a chat with a therapist and we decided I'd be better off going to group therapy and got put on a waiting list. I assume most places will give you option of either, or both.
post #73 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:08 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villadb View Post
Yes, i had a chat with a therapist and we decided I'd be better off going to group therapy and got put on a waiting list. I assume most places will give you option of either, or both.
Thanks for the info. ^-^
post #74 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 03:00 PM
fedelpo95

Language: english
I am thinking of starting cbt but I am really unsure of how to choose a therapist. I dont have much money because I am still studying, and so really cant afford to spend money with a lousy one.
Is there any way to tell if a therapist is good? Any questions that I can ask him?
post #75 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:11 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manel View Post
Is there any way to tell if a therapist is good? Any questions that I can ask him?
Im not sure actually, but maybe you can check if there are any reviews on the therapist/office online? if you are to write them an e-mail, then you could tell your story and inform what you would like. for me i would like a therapist that is patient Good Luck

I havent had many sessions doing CBT,but last time my therapist told me to allow myself to take up more space. when being with my family i would just allow myself to for example twist a little in the chair instead of trying to hide that i might feel uncomfortable. One thing is with family, but how about work? i would not feel so good about showing more anxiety than i allready do at work. anyone have any experience/thought on that? thanks for replying
post #76 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 10:23 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena_SAS View Post
Group cognitive-behavioral therapy is designed to help you practice new methods of dealing with situations that might lead to anxiety. In a safe group environment, you are encouraged to confront your anxiety and change the way you think and feel about certain social circumstances. It is important that all members of a CBT group be diagnosed with SAD specifically.
are diagnosed with clinical social anxiety. While group therapies work well for other disorders related to depression and anxiety, the best results have been shown when CBT groups are focused only on social anxiety and do not include patients with other disorders. Of course, it is not always possible to find a CBT group that is only for SAD, but one exists in your area, it is a better solution than one that is not so focused.

In these group sessions, individuals work through their newly-learned cognitive steps by dealing with situations that might normally produce anxiety, in a toned-down form. It is through the repetition of these new behaviors that the cognitive processes used to deal with anxiety-producing situations eventually changes.

I am here to help you in any way I can. I have not had any group interaction so I am not sure how to answer you.

Last edited by Gamer85; 05-12-2016 at 10:33 PM.
post #77 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 10:43 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
Actually, this is a good thing. You are becoming exposed to things that you aren't used to. Keep pressing through the nerves. Each time you go, you become more accustomed to the people and the lessons covered.

Feeling out of place in a group like that is definitely negative thinking.
Hey Millenniumman I know that we may have not always been on the same page with things but I know that you have seen me around as I have you.

Apparently I have crossed a line with charmander and she will not accept my apologies. I know that this is not your deal and I really do hate to ask (especially because we dont see eye to eye on things) but you know that i am someone that does mean well?; would you be willing to put in a word for me with charmander to allow me back in? I went off my meds and i was bad. I'll admit,.. i was more bad than usual but, i will really try. I may be only on a temporary ban but I can't take it. Either way i dont care. I am left with what the lord will grant me.

Last edited by Gamer85; 05-12-2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: This is all i can do, with what I've been given
post #78 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 11:56 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer85 View Post
Hey Millenniumman I know that we may have not always been on the same page with things but I know that you have seen me around as I have you.

Apparently I have crossed a line with charmander and she will not accept my apologies. I know that this is not your deal and I really do hate to ask (especially because we dont see eye to eye on things) but you know that i am someone that does mean well?; would you be willing to put in a word for me with charmander to allow me back in? I went off my meds and i was bad. I'll admit,.. i was more bad than usual but, i will really try. I may be only on a temporary ban but I can't take it. Either way i dont care. I am left with what the lord will grant me.
I honestly don't anything about what happened. What group are you trying to get back into?

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page