Cognitive-Behavioral Group Therapy (CBGT) - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 PM
SAS Member

That's good but being a beneficiary of a great CBT group I hate how often I hear about these awful ones that are out there that give it a bad name
Glad to hear you are fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:55 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA1982 View Post
What are TEA forms?
The thought countering cbt exercise from the book by Sam Obitz and Michelle Craske.
post #43 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 02:40 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
That's good but being a beneficiary of a great CBT group I hate how often I hear about these awful ones that are out there that give it a bad name
Glad to hear you are fine
thank you, i only seen bad , ocourse there,s got to be good

post #44 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 AM
happy :)

How am i suppose to benefit from exposing myself to anxiety provoking situations when i cant even leave my own *****EN house, I'm apart of a cbt group right now through CCI and you know what its just a load of bullsh*t, they want us to experiment and take the challenge to counter attack these negative thoughts and expose ourselves to situations in which i feel anxious , well i feel anxious everywhere not only in social situations but even leaving my front door to drive down the damn street, every single time i do it i feel anxious and it anxiety level doesn't get any better some day i don't even want to go outside and others i can barely get in my car and drive so how is a group going to benefit me , what am i going to talk about , you know the guy whose running it said well if you don't put yourself in situations just make some up in which if you were too , i mean what does that mean, so far ive got :going to a cafe to buy a cup of coffee i dont even drink *****en coffee and yes it will be alone is that a social situation you tell me

I know it seem hard sometimes but uhh
Remember one thing "Through every dark night, there's a bright day after that ,So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, Keep your head up, and handle it"

- Tupac Shakur -
post #45 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries33 View Post
How am i suppose to benefit from exposing myself to anxiety provoking situations when i cant even leave my own *****EN house, I'm apart of a cbt group right now through CCI and you know what its just a load of bullsh*t, they want us to experiment and take the challenge to counter attack these negative thoughts and expose ourselves to situations in which i feel anxious , well i feel anxious everywhere not only in social situations but even leaving my front door to drive down the damn street, every single time i do it i feel anxious and it anxiety level doesn't get any better some day i don't even want to go outside and others i can barely get in my car and drive so how is a group going to benefit me , what am i going to talk about , you know the guy whose running it said well if you don't put yourself in situations just make some up in which if you were too , i mean what does that mean, so far ive got :going to a cafe to buy a cup of coffee i dont even drink *****en coffee and yes it will be alone is that a social situation you tell me
You have acute anxierty , not social anxierty CBT IS FOR SOCIAL ANXIERTY . an its not that great for that, you need stonger meds
post #46 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:03 PM
happy :)

you know I've been stressing out all night ( night here in aust) that tomorrow im going to have to go in and confront this social anxiety situation again, last week i learnt nothing all the research i have been doing for myself over the last 8 years , well i think i know what social anxiety is but you see its the doctors that put me in this social anxiety group thinking it will help me I've told them that my anxiety is serve my old psychologist the one who i end up telling to pi$$ off told me that i had not just anxiety or social anxiety but severe social anxiety he said that gradual expose in any situation will help you get better at gradually decreasing the anxiety in any situation and you know the saddest part i was actually doing that i joined a group through my mental health agency and weekly i would attend, but then i decided that maybe ,well years back when i had just general anxiety i thought that the social anxiety group would be beneficial so i gave it a go but then i got very sick and went into hospital, i guess its my own fault for going back there , yes i admit in the past they have done a great job with helping me overcome my depression but far as this goes nah don't think so, yer i know i need more med my psychiatrist said that today.. sorry for the long reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
You have acute anxierty , not social anxierty CBT IS FOR SOCIAL ANXIERTY . an its not that great for that, you need stonger meds

I know it seem hard sometimes but uhh
Remember one thing "Through every dark night, there's a bright day after that ,So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, Keep your head up, and handle it"

- Tupac Shakur -
post #47 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
The thought countering cbt exercise from the book by Sam Obitz and Michelle Craske.

Eh?! We didn't do any exercises like that on my CBT course. Sounds like I must have been on a really bad one. I basically learned nothing lol.
post #48 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 AM
SAS Member

[QUOTE=PMA1982;1060016635]Eh?! We didn't do any exercises like that on my CBT course. Sounds like I must have been on a really bad one. I basically learned nothing lol. [/QUO

I hate hearing that and that really stinks! Those type of exercises is what CBT is, so it baffles me that they didn't teach you any exercises like that at all
post #49 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 PM
💀

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
damn, sounds like UK group cbt sessions suck (I have to say I'm sceptical about anything that only lasts 8 weeks, especially when whole sessions seem to be just focussed on explaining what social anxiety is...) This is something I've really wanted to try though as going to my GP and going down that route is too intimidating for me right now... Was hoping I could sign on to something with like minded people that actually helps
post #50 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 PM
SAS Member

Hi Tanya,

I hope you have or are able to find something that offers the proper CBT support you are looking for
post #51 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:27 PM
SAS Member

At Stanford University, we are starting another large treatment study for Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) that will run continuously from now until June of 2015. We are offering free treatment in the form of 12 weeks of group Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) or 12 weeks of group Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) to people with SAD. Eligible participants are expected to do behavioral and fMRI assessments pre and post treatment (8 hr. assessments) and commit to a year of follow-up contact (online questionnaires). Participants must be located in the Bay Area and must be willing to be randomly assigned to one treatment or another. Participants cannot select which treatment they would like to participate in.

The following are eligibility requirements: primary SAD, 21-55, right-handed, no current psychotropic medication, no schizophrenia, no bipolar disorder, no substance dependence, no claustrophobia, no metal in body, no more than 8 sessions of CBT for SAD, and no regular current meditation practice.

If you do not meet eligibility criteria but are still interested in receiving treatment for social anxiety, please email us for our list of referral resources throughout the Bay Area.

To screen people for social anxiety, the following 3 questions work very well. Have the person rate how much he/she has been bothered by the items below during the PAST WEEK on a scale of 0 to 4.
0=not at all bothered 1=a little bit bothered 2=somewhat bothered 3=very much bothered 4=extremely bothered

_____1. Being embarrassed or looking stupid are among my worst fears.
_____2. Fear of embarrassment causes me to avoid doing things or speaking to people.
_____3. I avoid activities in which I am the center of attention.

Scores of 6 or higher indicate probable social anxiety disorder.

If you or someone you know has SAD, please contact:
[email protected] to request an ID number to complete the online screener

For more information please visit our study website: http://caan.stanford.edu/current_research.html

Thank you!
post #52 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanfordCAMstudy View Post
At Stanford University, we are starting another large treatment study for Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) that will run continuously from now until June of 2015. We are offering free treatment in the form of 12 weeks of group Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) or 12 weeks of group Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) to people with SAD. Eligible participants are expected to do behavioral and fMRI assessments pre and post treatment (8 hr. assessments) and commit to a year of follow-up contact (online questionnaires). Participants must be located in the Bay Area and must be willing to be randomly assigned to one treatment or another. Participants cannot select which treatment they would like to participate in.

The following are eligibility requirements: primary SAD, 21-55, right-handed, no current psychotropic medication, no schizophrenia, no bipolar disorder, no substance dependence, no claustrophobia, no metal in body, no more than 8 sessions of CBT for SAD, and no regular current meditation practice.

If you do not meet eligibility criteria but are still interested in receiving treatment for social anxiety, please email us for our list of referral resources throughout the Bay Area.

To screen people for social anxiety, the following 3 questions work very well. Have the person rate how much he/she has been bothered by the items below during the PAST WEEK on a scale of 0 to 4.
0=not at all bothered 1=a little bit bothered 2=somewhat bothered 3=very much bothered 4=extremely bothered

_____2. Fear of embarrassment causes me to avoid doing things or speaking to people.

For more information please visit our study website: http://caan.stanford.edu/current_research.html

Thank you!
Hi,

One question. I'm left handed. What's the deal with the right-handed requirement? Left-handed people don't benefit from CBT or something?
post #53 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredtolive View Post
Hi,

One question. I'm left handed. What's the deal with the right-handed requirement? Left-handed people don't benefit from CBT or something?
I'm left handed and CBT is working for me. Good question, I hope they come back and answer as that's really odd
post #54 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 PM
SAS Member

โดยปกติ บุหรี่จริง 1 มวนจะมีจำนวนครั้งในการสูบประมาณ 12-15 ครั้ง ในขณะที่น้ำยาหรือไส้นิโคตินของบุหรี่ไฟฟ้า (ในที่นี้ จะเรียกว่า E-Liquid) จะเท่ากับ 0.1ml (0.1 มิลลิลิตร) ซึ่งจะได้จำนวนสูบ 12-15 ครั้งเท่ากัน ดังนั้น 0.1ml ของ E-Liquid จะเท่ากับบุหรี่ 1 มวน eroll หากคุณต้องการเลิกบุหรี่ในทันทีไม่มีวิธีอื่นที่ดีกว ่านี้ คุณสามารถลดปริมาณนิโคตินลงได้ทีละน้อยจนไม่มีนิโคติ นเลย หรือหากคุณต้องการสุขภาพที่ดีของคุณและคนรอบข้างบุหร ี่ไฟฟ้าสามารถทดแทนการสูบบุหรี่จริงได้ ovale การใช้งานนั้นโดยแต่เสริมแบตเตอรี่ และ หลอดนิโคตินเหลว (Cartridge) เข้ากับตัวเครื่อง คุณก็สามารถเริ่มการสูบได้แล้ว หากไฟสีแดงอ่อนหรือไม่ติดแสดงว่าคุณต้องชาร์จแบตเตอร ี่ หากเมื่อสูบแล้วไม่มีควันคุณต้องเปลี่ยนหรือเติมหลอด บรรจุนิโคตินเหลว นอกจากนิโครติน บุหรี่ไฟฟ้ามีโทษอย่างอื่นหรือไม่ คำตอบคือไม่มีครับเพราะ ในน้ำยาบุหรี่ไฟฟ้าผสมด้วย PG กับ VG ซึ่งมีในพวกยาสีฟัน ครีมล้างหน้า เยลลี่ ลิปมันทาปาก ซึ่งเป็นสิ่งที่เราใช้ในชีวิตประจำวัน ecab เรายินดีให้คำแนะนำทุกคุณอย่างเป็นกันเอง บุหรี่ไฟฟ้า จากสารประกอบใน E-Liquid ข้างต้น นอกเหนือจาก Nicotine แล้ว ตัวที่ทุกคนสงสัยว่ามันคืออย่างไร ก็คือสารที่เรียกว่า Propylene Glycerol หรือ Propylene Glycol หรือ เรียกสั้นๆ ว่า PG ครับ นิโคติน กดประสาทส่วนกลาง มีผลต่อต่อมหมวกไต ทำให้เกิดการหลั่งอิพิเนฟริน ทำให้ความดันโลหิตสูงขึ้น หัวใจ เต้นเร็วกว่าปกติ และไม่เป็นจังหวะ หลอดเลือดที่แขนและขาหดตัว เพิ่มไขมันในเส้นเลือด (ก้นกรองไม่ได้ทำให้ ปริมาณนิโคตินลดลงได้) ขาย ovale ที่ทำให้เกิดโรคร้ายทั้งหมด ตั้งแต่มะเร็งปอด มะเร็งคอ มะเร็งในช่องปาก หลอดลม ถุงลมโป่งพอง โรคหัวใจ และอีกหลากแบบ
post #55 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 05:47 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
i had the complete oppisite reaction to cbt ,i was the only guy in a group of 12 ladies//well 11 because one ran out he door before we made a start/// we had 8 one hour sessions that ran for 8 weeks on the nhs//some women left worse than the start///the hole therory is fight an flight//dont run or panick at nothing or situations//they said the therory came from cave men who would shed there bodily functions so they would be lighter in weight to run from animals//load of ****,anxierty if likened to soldgier,s going into battle ,the loose the bodily functions//they tried to say those feelings arnt real just anxierty//we already new that but who wants to **** themselves on a bus or in a supermarket through anxierty its real an cbt wont stop that
Quote:
ENGLAND Mansfied notts , there is only 1 course at a time so 24 weeks would see two course,s of 10 people a year. thats why its 8 week,s

Wow, just started reading this thread but your post caught my eye because i'm in Notts too and my CBT was nothing like that, although mine was one on one, not group. There was absolutely no mention of cavemen or fouling yourself or anything like that!!! I did my CBT in Bilborough, we just went through a list of my fears and I was given manageable and progressive tasks to slowly break those fear barriers (which I did and it worked a treat).

Check out my sites...

PHOTOGRAPHY
www.catreadphotography.weebly.com

Reptiles as Pets
www.reptile-savvy.weebly.com
post #56 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat001 View Post
Wow, just started reading this thread but your post caught my eye because i'm in Notts too and my CBT was nothing like that, although mine was one on one, not group. There was absolutely no mention of cavemen or fouling yourself or anything like that!!! I did my CBT in Bilborough, we just went through a list of my fears and I was given manageable and progressive tasks to slowly break those fear barriers (which I did and it worked a treat).
Cat your CBT sounds a lot like the CBT that helped me get better
I hate haring stories about CBT that really isn't CBT!
If you do the CBT exercises regularly like the TEA forms and the Putting things back into perspective exercise I can't see how it won't help everyone who does them
post #57 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 PM
SAS Member

I tried cbt group once and it was total bs how can u get any thing out of it when evan the moderator is judjing you negatively.
post #58 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 11:09 AM
💀

Quote:
Hi Tanya,

I hope you have or are able to find something that offers the proper CBT support you are looking for
Hey, just refound this thread. I'm still not getting therapy but think it's pretty important now as I'm too scared to get a job and my life is effectively on indefinite hold now...
post #59 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 11:17 AM
💀

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanfordCAMstudy View Post

Thank you!
I'm interested, but I assume this is for US people only? I've emailed for an ID number anyway though
post #60 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:03 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Hey, just refound this thread. I'm still not getting therapy but think it's pretty important now as I'm too scared to get a job and my life is effectively on indefinite hold now...
Welcome back
I hope you get the help you need so you can get on with your life!
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page