Cognitive-Behavioral Group Therapy (CBGT) - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:41 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenN2791 View Post
Never heard, but I'll look into it. Thank you.
Yeah no problem. I actually found the first lesson somewhat interesting. If you decide to try it out, let us know how it goes!
Xande is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
I am feeling so depressed and bad since last week since I moved in to college. Its hard for m to make friends so Im just in my dorm all the time. I only go out to go eat or to go to class. Ive been feeling so sad and homesick that ive considered taking lots of aspirins in order to et out of here. I hate this place. I dont belong. Im always feeling sad, depressed, nervous, scared, or anxious. I feel that I will drop out and disappoint my family. I actually went home for th weekend this past weekend and I felt so happy, but hen I came back and now I feel depressed again. I dont even want to study.
I also feel nervous about discussion section for a class becaseu were required to present in front of the class. I want to drop out and go to my family, but I dont want to be such a cry baby and coward. I hate myself and I hate feeling this way.
The sort of good thing though is that I went to my school's counseling center on Friday. I talked to a therapist and she made me an appointment with a psychiatrist for medication. I dont want to take pills but I guess they'l make me feel numb, and thats better than feeling how i feel right now. Do any of you think this will help me? I am scared because i think i will feel this way forever as long as i stay here. I just want time yo pss by fast. College has turned out to be the worst experience ever. I just wana go home.
micoronado is offline  
post #23 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 02:03 AM
SAS Member
 
foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: england
Gender: Male
Posts: 795
Dont take meds because college is a bummer. Your just home sick,thats not an illness its life . start takeing meds for home sickness an you in trouble
foxy is offline  
 
post #24 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenN2791 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but you can take on this without a counselor right? I have yet to find an effective psychologist at my school (and can't afford to see one at a medical office or anything), so I've been trying to train myself to think more positively as well since I have a TERRIBLE habit of being so negative about things, bringing myself down, etc.
Not a dumb question at all... To have success with CBT you have to counter your thoughts in the TEA forms EVERY day between sessions and that's how you get better, the therapist just helps you along by giving you pointers etc.
Read the CBT book by Sam Obitz and start doing the exercises and you will be surprised how quickly they begin to help you feel better.

Mod: no commercial links please
Jmoney is offline  
post #25 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 07:43 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 97
Hmm, got a reply notif but no replies since my last post? Feel free to ask again if it was a question directed my way.
Jmoney is offline  
post #26 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:17 PM
SAS Member
 
PMA1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Mids, England, UK
Gender: Male
Age: 37
Posts: 36
I had CBT about a year ago and to be honest I wasn't impressed at all.

Before I went along I assumed that it would entail discussing specific ways to counter my social anxiety and panic attacks. For example: When you feel like this, do this and it'll calm you down. Instead we just discussed how we're experiencing a 'fight or flight' reaction to everyday situations.........I mean, I already knew that. I thought we'd be taught HOW to combat the anxiousness, not WHAT it is. Like most of you on here I've read up about my condition, so we all already know what it is lol.

I came away after 8 sessions no better than before I began :/
PMA1982 is offline  
post #27 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 AM
SAS Member
 
foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: england
Gender: Male
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA1982 View Post
I had CBT about a year ago and to be honest I wasn't impressed at all.

Before I went along I assumed that it would entail discussing specific ways to counter my social anxiety and panic attacks. For example: When you feel like this, do this and it'll calm you down. Instead we just discussed how we're experiencing a 'fight or flight' reaction to everyday situations.........I mean, I already knew that. I thought we'd be taught HOW to combat the anxiousness, not WHAT it is. Like most of you on here I've read up about my condition, so we all already know what it is lol.

I came away after 8 sessions no better than before I began :/
This can be a major problem, it seems there telling you what you aready no , i asked why in high anxierty that some people even loose the bowel movments????????? this guy said flight or fight . He said it stems from cavemen,( i no stay with me,) if a animal chased you you craped yourself to make your body weight lighter so you could run faster ie ( flight) i said that is the biggest load of balls i ever heard an he never spoke to me again.
foxy is offline  
post #28 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
SAS Member
 
PMA1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Mids, England, UK
Gender: Male
Age: 37
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
This can be a major problem, it seems there telling you what you aready no , i asked why in high anxierty that some people even loose the bowel movments????????? this guy said flight or fight . He said it stems from cavemen,( i no stay with me,) if a animal chased you you craped yourself to make your body weight lighter so you could run faster ie ( flight) i said that is the biggest load of balls i ever heard an he never spoke to me again.
That is the reason that some people lose control of their bowels......it's all to do with fear. Basically people with SAD react to everyday situations as if they were life or death scenarios, eg. public speaking, meeting new people, being in unfamiliar surroundings etc.

The problem is that I knew all of this anyway. I know WHAT social anxiety disorder is, I just want to know HOW to combat it, and I don't feel that I learned any techniques as to how I could do this. Very frustrating. The only type of advice we were given as to how to fight our condition was to go out more, put yourself in difficult situations more often lol.....I mean, that's just obvious isn't it?

Any advice that the therapists did give me, I had to to pick holes in because I don't just blindly accept things that I'm told. I have to test them out for myself and work out ways that they may fail. For example, you wouldn't abseil down a 100ft cliff without first testing the strength of the rope would you? When I questioned what the therapists were telling me I was labelled as Awkward and difficult. All I was doing was making sure that I understood and felt able to rely on what I was being told.
PMA1982 is offline  
post #29 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 02:40 AM
SAS Member
 
foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: england
Gender: Male
Posts: 795
if you have anxierty in superstores , they will tell you, first just walk in then out again, next time a little further till you eventually do your shopping without worry , 15 years later
foxy is offline  
post #30 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 AM
SAS Member
 
PMA1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Mids, England, UK
Gender: Male
Age: 37
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
if you have anxierty in superstores , they will tell you, first just walk in then out again, next time a little further till you eventually do your shopping without worry , 15 years later
Hahaha!!! Then when you're finally inside the store, you realise that everyone's been watching you shiftily walking in and out of the place over and over again, and you have a massive panic attack LOL!
PMA1982 is offline  
post #31 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 97
I don't live in the UK but from the sounds of your replies the quality (or shall I say lack thereof) of CBT in the UK sucks. there's an 85% success rate here and it goes well beyond fight or flight.
Jmoney is offline  
post #32 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:18 AM
SAS Member
 
foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: england
Gender: Male
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
I don't live in the UK but from the sounds of your replies the quality (or shall I say lack thereof) of CBT in the UK sucks. there's an 85% success rate here and it goes well beyond fight or flight.
THE English C .B.T is NHS funded , you dont get 1to 1 theropy it is in groups of 12 people. The first session on my group course , a lady ran out the door before it even started. 3 never turned up for the second session, we finished up with 5 people on a 8week 1 hour course, the theropist was sick on 2 sessions ,so we only had 6 in all. Out of that 1 person felt better,3 felt worse an me an another lady thought it was a joke. Now if you get 1-1 intence sessions it may work better , but ENGLAND dont go big on any theropy , and useually scripted only 1 med at a time, no fancy combo,s for us brit,s .
foxy is offline  
post #33 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 09:14 AM
SAS Member
 
PMA1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Mids, England, UK
Gender: Male
Age: 37
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
I don't live in the UK but from the sounds of your replies the quality (or shall I say lack thereof) of CBT in the UK sucks. there's an 85% success rate here and it goes well beyond fight or flight.
Whereabouts are you from then?

My CBT sessions were the first form of therapy that I'd ever had, and to be honest I've been left distinctly sceptical when it comes to any further therapy.

I may go back to see my GP soon and see what other options are open to me because though, because I'm in the same position now as I was before I had my CBT
PMA1982 is offline  
post #34 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 AM
SAS Member
 
foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: england
Gender: Male
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA1982 View Post
Whereabouts are you from then?

My CBT sessions were the first form of therapy that I'd ever had, and to be honest I've been left distinctly sceptical when it comes to any further therapy.

I may go back to see my GP soon and see what other options are open to me because though, because I'm in the same position now as I was before I had my CBT
mansfield notts
foxy is offline  
post #35 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 03:12 PM
SAS Member
 
PMA1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Mids, England, UK
Gender: Male
Age: 37
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
THE English C .B.T is NHS funded , you dont get 1to 1 theropy it is in groups of 12 people. The first session on my group course , a lady ran out the door before it even started. 3 never turned up for the second session, we finished up with 5 people on a 8week 1 hour course, the theropist was sick on 2 sessions ,so we only had 6 in all. Out of that 1 person felt better,3 felt worse an me an another lady thought it was a joke. Now if you get 1-1 intence sessions it may work better , but ENGLAND dont go big on any theropy , and useually scripted only 1 med at a time, no fancy combo,s for us brit,s .
Foxy, I don't think that one to one therapy would be beneficial at all though. We have social anxiety, so getting you used to talking in front of people is certainly one way of combatting the disorder.

I wasn't asking where you're from anyway....i know you're from the UK lol.
PMA1982 is offline  
post #36 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:34 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
THE English C .B.T is NHS funded , you dont get 1to 1 theropy it is in groups of 12 people. The first session on my group course , a lady ran out the door before it even started. 3 never turned up for the second session, we finished up with 5 people on a 8week 1 hour course, the theropist was sick on 2 sessions ,so we only had 6 in all. Out of that 1 person felt better,3 felt worse an me an another lady thought it was a joke. Now if you get 1-1 intence sessions it may work better , but ENGLAND dont go big on any theropy , and useually scripted only 1 med at a time, no fancy combo,s for us brit,s .
Wow that does sound awful. I did my CBT in a group here through my university and we had eight in our group and met every other week individually with a therapist. I'm still in contact with four of the other people in my group and we are all doing really well now. We were all pretty motivated and helped each other a lot and al continue to use the TEA forms so it was not easy but happy we stuck with everything.
Sorry yours was such a disaster and I hope you find help that works for you soon.
Jmoney is offline  
post #37 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA1982 View Post
Whereabouts are you from then?

My CBT sessions were the first form of therapy that I'd ever had, and to be honest I've been left distinctly sceptical when it comes to any further therapy.

I may go back to see my GP soon and see what other options are open to me because though, because I'm in the same position now as I was before I had my CBT
The USA
Jmoney is offline  
post #38 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:40 AM
SAS Member
 
PMA1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Mids, England, UK
Gender: Male
Age: 37
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
We were all pretty motivated and helped each other a lot and al continue to use the TEA forms so it was not easy but happy we stuck with everything.
What are TEA forms?
PMA1982 is offline  
post #39 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 AM
SAS Member
 
foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: england
Gender: Male
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA1982 View Post
Foxy, I don't think that one to one therapy would be beneficial at all though. We have social anxiety, so getting you used to talking in front of people is certainly one way of combatting the disorder.

I wasn't asking where you're from anyway....i know you're from the UK lol.
mansfield notts same has i put in the post above for you.
foxy is offline  
post #40 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:59 AM
SAS Member
 
foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: england
Gender: Male
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
Wow that does sound awful. I did my CBT in a group here through my university and we had eight in our group and met every other week individually with a therapist. I'm still in contact with four of the other people in my group and we are all doing really well now. We were all pretty motivated and helped each other a lot and al continue to use the TEA forms so it was not easy but happy we stuck with everything.
Sorry yours was such a disaster and I hope you find help that works for you soon.
thaks but to be honest i didnt need cbt , my theropist put me on the course, so i just went to see what it was about.
foxy is offline  
Reply
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Helena_SAS Psychotherapy 357 07-09-2019 02:47 PM
Managing Social Anxiety: A Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Approach Client Workbook Helena_SAS Books 2 05-17-2013 03:20 PM
Cognitive behavioral therapy lilprincess9031 Therapy 7 03-24-2010 10:05 PM
cognitive behavioral therapy Alicia2009 Therapy 23 09-17-2009 10:17 AM
cognitive behavioral therapy sabueed Therapy 3 08-06-2008 04:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome