Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:36 PM
SAS Member

im practicing a therapy called "social mishap exposure" which is mainly based on ACT, in this exposure u try to intentionally do something wierd that violates ur perceived social norms in order to intensify ur social anxiety and let it pass without fighting it, i have found it really effective and so helpful. i have posted most of my exposure experiences on this website and u can visit it if u want. http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...erapy-1636529/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 11:51 PM
SAS Member

This is really very informative information. I really never heard it before.
post #63 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:05 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawarboazadi View Post
...im practicing a therapy called "social mishap exposure" which is mainly based on ACT, in this exposure u try to intentionally do something wierd that violates ur perceived social norms in order to intensify ur social anxiety and let it pass without fighting it....
Good therapy idea. Like doing social experiments and not taking results personally.

Some days are better than others

post #64 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:35 PM
SAS Member

As the author of 'Get out of Your Mind and into Your Life" I'm interested in how it turned out. Was it helpful?

- S
post #65 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:48 PM
SAS Member

As the co-developer of ACT (and as an anxiety disordered person in recovery) it is worth noting that the first post in this thread from 2010 mentions the lack of data ... which was fair then but now a 2016 meta-analysis of several dozen controlled studies said that "Findings suggest that ACT demonstrates at least moderate group and pre-post effects for symptom reductions for both anxiety and depression" Journal of Affective Disorders, 190, 551565. If people want a quick understanding of ACT a good start is my TED talk, which uses my own anxiety disorder as a framework for understanding the model: www.bit.ly/StevesFirstTED

- Steve Hayes
post #66 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 10:38 AM
SAS Member

I am also curious about how the "social mishap exposure" is working out, but I gotta say, it's a wild surprise to see you on this forum, Mr. Hayes (though makes perfect sense as it is about ACT, after all) . I almost want to call b*llsh*t. What brings you to these parts?
post #67 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 04:47 AM
Yoink

Dr. Steven C Hayes has another ACT TedTalk available now and Dr. Russ Harris's newsletter has great info too. I haven't given up on ACT, but since figuring out I have Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), I've started reading about DBT also. I have quiet BPD which is different from regular BPD but I still suffer from mental anguish on a regular basis. Hopefully Hillary will live up to her promises and Americans can receive some treatment for their mental illnesses soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnSHpBRLJrQ

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #68 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 09:15 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Im confused , i just started CBT and i think i can see my thoughts changing to more rational. but ACT stuff seems top of the line. so can i work both at the same time? what should i do-

Cognitive: Everytime you get a negative thought, cut it down with a rational statement and you'll break the cycle down fast till it has no power over you and shrinks...

Behavioural: get out, stay out, join groups, clubs, teams, plays, etc... "however you feel, get up, dress up and show up" People are nicer than you think, rediscover this and stay active and go to as many social activities as you can... this is the essence of confidence..
post #69 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:55 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmandelafoto View Post
Im confused , i just started CBT and i think i can see my thoughts changing to more rational. but ACT stuff seems top of the line. so can i work both at the same time? what should i do-
Usually it's better not to mix forms of therapy at the same time. If you are getting good things out of CBT, stick with it as long as it is useful for you. You never know if the next therapist, no matter how good the treatment is, is going to be a fit for you, so I would say, if CBT benefits you, stay with it a while and see what you think. You can always try ACT later!
post #70 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:20 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsia View Post
Usually it's better not to mix forms of therapy at the same time. If you are getting good things out of CBT, stick with it as long as it is useful for you. You never know if the next therapist, no matter how good the treatment is, is going to be a fit for you, so I would say, if CBT benefits you, stay with it a while and see what you think. You can always try ACT later!
Word thanks for the reply. Now i am obsessing (i obsess about everything, its a big part in my S.A.D. negative thoughts) about which method i should try. Im only 3 weeks into CBT, and I see this thread and it seems to be the more modern thing and I'm curious because many members say that CBT didn't work for them. I don't want to wait 5 months on a program that doesn't fully work I rather go with the one that works directly, but I guess i'll never know untill i try them. Thats the thing, If i try it with a "this wont work, aka there is something better out there than this" attitude then it probably wont work for me. Damn i hate being confused it makes me anxious because I really had a lot of hope CBT was gonna work. But this ACT thing looks so good, but I don't even have the books so I guess ill just stick to what I have for now.

Cognitive: Everytime you get a negative thought, cut it down with a rational statement and you'll break the cycle down fast till it has no power over you and shrinks...

Behavioural: get out, stay out, join groups, clubs, teams, plays, etc... "however you feel, get up, dress up and show up" People are nicer than you think, rediscover this and stay active and go to as many social activities as you can... this is the essence of confidence..

Last edited by elmandelafoto; 09-23-2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: edit: im curious is act something that can be worked alone with the books mentioned in this thread or do i need a therapist?
post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:21 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmandelafoto View Post
Word thanks for the reply. Now i am obsessing (i obsess about everything, its a big part in my S.A.D. negative thoughts) about which method i should try. Im only 3 weeks into CBT, and I see this thread and it seems to be the more modern thing and I'm curious because many members say that CBT didn't work for them. I don't want to wait 5 months on a program that doesn't fully work I rather go with the one that works directly, but I guess i'll never know untill i try them. Thats the thing, If i try it with a "this wont work, aka there is something better out there than this" attitude then it probably wont work for me. Damn i hate being confused it makes me anxious because I really had a lot of hope CBT was gonna work. But this ACT thing looks so good, but I don't even have the books so I guess ill just stick to what I have for now.
My husband did CBT for anxiety (he worked in a firm that was so stressful that people had nervous breakdowns) and it worked for him. I think it depends on the person. I see people on this site who it works for as well as people it doesn't. Since you are already enrolled and seeing a little progress, might as well find out if you are one of the people it works for or not. I don't think you have to wait 5 months if it isn't working out to switch though. One of the things you probably already know is that both methods help you distance from your thoughts so the thoughts can be very strong, but they are still just thoughts and you don't have to think of them as important or even true. You can swap them out for more positive thoughts like in CBT or you can examine if they are helpful thoughts in ACT and see if they are in line with the values you want to live by. I think these methods are complimentary, and I even see prior CBT researchers who became ACT therapists. Good luck, and try not to believe in everything you think!!!
post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 02:49 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky78 View Post
I am posting the summary of my experience on this page with the hope that other members will share their experiences as well.
Some months ago I enrolled in a study made by the Drexel University. My therapist used the ACT (Acceptance and Commitment therapy) to help me face my social anxiety. I have also read two useful books about it.
I briefly state what I have learned:
It is not possible to control your thoughts or feelings, and I soon realized this by looking back at my life experiences.
What I have learned is that thoughts are just words in my mind, so toughts are just thoughts, and feelings are just feelings. It looks something logical, but it is very difficult to recognize this in a social context when you experience fear and worry. If I think that I won't be able to speak to a group of people (because of my social anxiety) in that specific situation for example, that does necessarily means that it's going to be true. Being aware that my thought is just a thought is a big step in facing a social situation. The same is true for feeling. ACT helped me to become a better observer.
I have learned that there are two parts of me: a thinking-self, and an observer-self.
The thinking self produces all the possible thoughts: positive, negative, or neutral.
The observer-self is instead that part of me that is aware of what I am thinking, that observes the environment around me and inside me (thoughts and feelings).
Developing the skill of identify these two parts is a key in ACT.
The other fundamental concept is ACT is to live a life based on your values and goals.
There is a bing difference between values and goals.
A value is an on-going process, something that never ends. For example, caring about other people is a value.
A goal is a process that has an end. For example, getting a degree is a goal. Once you get the degree, you reached your goal.
In order to live a meaningful life it is important, first to identify your values and then your goal underlying the values.
Worry and fear will always be part of our path, because is a biological part of being a human being. The important aspect is to act based on your values and goals and never stop our trip because of the obstacles.
This is a brief description of what I have learned in theory. Now I am trying to put this in practice, that is to become a better observer, to accept and be aware of my thoughts and feeling, and to act based on my values and goals.
If you have any experience on this matter, please reply to me. Sharing information is a great tool to improve our life.
Thanks
I like the idea of being an observer of our thoughts and feelings. In the past,
I used to try real hard not to be anxious. Now I allow myself to be anxious and focus externally on what is happening. Good post!
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 06:59 AM
Stoic Hobo

@JonnyD
What @Rocky78 posts about sounds like it's based in mindfulness meditation, i.e. suppress transient thoughts and live in the 'now'. Meditation builds your brain-muscle so that it forms a habit of purging the autopilot thoughts that happen, and frees you up to notice the now. Good stuff!

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
(Mick Jagger)
post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:40 PM
SAS Member

imo this whole farce of ACT and CBT has been created by the medical society to justify the study of psychology
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 06:03 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanJL9981 View Post
imo this whole farce of ACT and CBT has been created by the medical society to justify the study of psychology
QFT.

He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Optimism Prime~

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenchayes View Post
As the co-developer of ACT (and as an anxiety disordered person in recovery) it is worth noting that the first post in this thread from 2010 mentions the lack of data ... which was fair then but now a 2016 meta-analysis of several dozen controlled studies said that "Findings suggest that ACT demonstrates at least moderate group and pre-post effects for symptom reductions for both anxiety and depression" Journal of Affective Disorders, 190, 551565. If people want a quick understanding of ACT a good start is my TED talk, which uses my own anxiety disorder as a framework for understanding the model: www.bit.ly/StevesFirstTED

- Steve Hayes
Thank you for taking the time to post on here. I'm definitely going to check your method out - I've heard good things on here as well as elsewhere about it.

slow progress is still progress.
post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Some people juggle geese.

Wow, was that really Steven Hayes, posting here? Huh. We really should update the first post to reflect the additional science behind it.

Anyways back to what I was going to originally post. I am starting therapy next week and sounds like ACT is one of the methods the therapist utilizes. It took me a while to understand what it was, but the below article is helpful I think.

https://contextualscience.org/comparing_act_and_cbt
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 06:45 AM
SAS Member

Act therapy or acceptance and commitment therapy is the best treatment for social anxiety !
I was cured by it !
I tried CBT and medications but they didn't work for me!
Act helped me a lot! In ACT you learn to live your life or your social life to the fullest by following your values without waiting to reduce your symptoms!
NOW I'm so confident and I want to help everyone!
If you want to heal and you tried everything you can email me and I will send to you ACT techniques !! I love you all!!!!!
post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:07 PM
SAS Member

That's very reassuring - thanks! I appreciate everyone's help!
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page