Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Permanently Banned

How long does this therapy session usually takes and for how many weeks/months before I can see any changes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 AM
SAS Member

Hi, I've just completed a 10-week course of ACT Therapy. I always felt depressed and have SA, so I waited until I had an issue. I have to move house into the centre of the city so that I can become more sociable - all the groups and clubs and support centres are far too far from where I live now. So I used that specific goal as a therapic goal. Happily, I can tell you that I now own a house in the inner suburbs.

I had been thinking of moving for 5 years, but with this ACT therapy, I was able to reassess my goals and actions, prioritise my thinking, and get things done. Naturally, just buying the house might not seem like much of a result; but consider that before therapy, I didn't even have a functional mobile (cell)phone; I would never answer the phone anyway; I would avoid people like Real Estate Agents like the plague, I would have panic attacks at the the thought of making such a huge financial decision.

But having learnt the basics of ACT, I slowly worked through all the necessary physical activities (sub-goals) that were necessary, and now my major goal has been completed.

Naturally, the benefits I've derived have been more than just having bought the house. My attitude to answering the phone has changed, I am more confident in dealing with agents, tradies, conveyancers, solicitors, etc. (Part of ACT is recognising that you if you have symptom (social anxiety ++, for example), you cannot buy a house without commitment to you goal. (In this way, it's a bit like "Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway", but there's more theory in it.
post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 07:57 AM
One of the four horsemen

Are some of you still having great results with ACT? I'm currently doing CBT but not seeing the desired results. I'm thinking about bringing up ACT or other mindfulness therapy in my next session.

post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 01:22 AM
SAS Member

Hello everyone!

Have you ever had therapy for a personal or mental health problem? (e.g. counselling, CBT, couples therapy).
If so, would you be interested in taking part in the survey I have created for my Masters thesis?

I am a Clinical Psychology student who is looking into your opinions and satisfaction with the therapy you received and whether or not you found it helpful for your problems

All responses remain anonymous and confidential and your help would be VERY much appreciated!
Please click on the link below and follow instructions! It only takes 10-15 minutes:
Thank you very much

https://sdu-surveys.herts.ac.uk/psychotherapy/
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:14 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired

Trying book again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testsubject View Post
Are some of you still having great results with ACT? I'm currently doing CBT but not seeing the desired results. I'm thinking about bringing up ACT or other mindfulness therapy in my next session.
I'm working through the book "Get Out of Your Mind..." For whatever reason, I stopped working on it 6 months ago, but have started going through the book again. It's tough going, but I think it will be worth it if I can persevere. Nicely written. Lots of engaging exercises.
post #46 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:55 PM
SAS Member

I didn't know this was a thing. I read quite a bit about CBT Google-fuing SA, and while I'm not in a place to say anything because I'm not yet seeing a professional about my issues, I feel like I'd come up with an endless loop of negative thoughts to negate the positive ones I'm supposed to use to negate my previous negative thoughts. For instance, if I go to a party, I might freak out internally and think, "Look at all these people having fun, while I'm standing here all awkward. They're probably looking at me like some weirdo." So what I think I'm supposed to do is think something like, "Oh, most of these people are just minding their own business. They probably aren't even paying attention to me, so I shouldn't worry." But then I'll follow that up with, "Well, that's sad if no one's paying attention to me, even a little bit. It means no one cares about me," and so forth.

But ACT sounds like something more feasible, especially since at this point I'm pretty much resigned to the fact I have issues. So in a way, that's halfway accepting SA for what it is. Of course, the moving on part sounds a whole lot harder, but overall ACT still sounds more sensible to me than CBT. I'm surprised it's taken me this long to learn of it. How prevalent among the counselling field is this method? Like, could I go to any counselor and they'd know what it is, or would I have to search around a lot more?
post #47 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 08:24 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
I LOVE ACT THERAPY!! I am on the verge of being cured everyone i promise and there is definitely a cure!!! I highly highly recomment watching Mark Freeman's videos on youtube along with reading the Happiness trap and watching videos from the author Russ Hariss. You don't even need a therapist i've been doing this on my own and seeing EXCELLENT results. I promise everyone!
post #48 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 07:13 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq984 View Post
...I highly highly recomment watching Mark Freeman's videos on youtube along with reading the Happiness trap and watching videos from the author Russ Hariss....
Thanks for this info. I will check them out.
post #49 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:03 AM
Addiction Treatment

Addiction Treatment Center | addiction treatment :: Memphis TN

Hello Dear jkquatre!

Great reply..! I have read you answer and great thinking about this.. i have provide addiction treatment in memphis.. if you are visit of my web page then visit my website page..
w w w dot alcoholismdrugabuse.com/treatment-drug-abuse-addiction
post #50 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 03:15 PM
SAS Member

Hi Rocky

Thanks for these useful words about ACT. My path has been pretty much this one. You speak about worry and fear, I learned something very useful, the letting go. it can be done naturally if you are familiar with it, sometimes a beautiful music helps. The acceptance helps to fade the fear and the worry and it's also good to add the notion of the law of attraction, knowing that when you expect beauty behind the ugly, you bring out another energy to the universe and what you vibrate comes back to you, usually there's really beauty behind the ugly, waiting to show. The patience, the letting go, the expectation of beauty brings a shift a positive one.
post #51 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Lifetime Student

My Mood: Confused
I just started reading it the introduction. From what I've read, it sounds like you're being asked to give up on solving your problems but try to find a way to be happy with them? Does this sound right?
post #52 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:31 PM
SAS Member

#yes the first step to overcoming anxiety is accepting that you have it.
post #53 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:28 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
I am committed to having social anxiety and accept that I will have it the rest of my life.

You had me at hello.
post #54 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Lifetime Student

My Mood: Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
I am committed to having social anxiety and accept that I will have it the rest of my life.
OK, I get that much but where do you go from there? What if my life's situation requires that I come out of my shell to get something that I need? What if I really want to do something but can't because I'm too afraid of making a fool out of myself or what others will think when they see how nervous I am?
post #55 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 AM
SAS Member

ACT Therapy has been brilliant for me.

Its funny I even stumbled across the therapy method, because I actually approached my therapist with the intention of trying CBT. However, she recommended ACT, (I'd done CBT on my own before, but it didn't work).

I think ACT works best for me, because it pulls my out of the rumination cycles I was constantly getting myself stuck in.

I still have anxiety, doubts and even moments of depression. However, they are brief and they are managable.

Not because I am 'cured' of all anxiety. Rather, ACT has helped me to develop a different approach to thinking about the things that ignite my anxirty, doubts and depression.

And now they no longer feel crippling (although it is still very much a work in progress right now).
post #56 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Tired

Language: English
Surprisingly I have been offered this along with CBT, but since CBT hasn't really worked for me they want to try this. Its via secondary care NHS, and will be 20-30 sessions (perhaps longer). You literally have to bang on doors repeatedly for years to get access to this length treatment here, so will give it my best shot.

I suspect ACT will be a much better fit for me, as I have kinda been moving in this direction on my own.

I will ofc report back here as to how I find it

Dimethylamidophenyldimethylpyrazolone
post #57 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Spectacular Member

I have been looking for a therapist to work 1on1 with me to do ACT here, but finding one is proving very difficult. They just built a $550 million dollar state of the art mental health hospital in my city, and yet apparently not a single person in the entire hospital has even heard of ACT let alone practices it, so much for state of the art. I mean I bought an ACT workbook, I don't need a guru, just someone who will work through the book with me geez.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #58 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 03:51 PM
Yoink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
I have been looking for a therapist to work 1on1 with me to do ACT here, but finding one is proving very difficult. They just built a $550 million dollar state of the art mental health hospital in my city, and yet apparently not a single person in the entire hospital has even heard of ACT let alone practices it, so much for state of the art. I mean I bought an ACT workbook, I don't need a guru, just someone who will work through the book with me geez.
Maybe you can find a CBT person who is interested in ACT. Both of you can learn as you go. ACT has helped me a lot. Eventually it will replace CBT, just gotta wait for people to get educated.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #59 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 11:05 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath9 View Post
Maybe you can find a CBT person who is interested in ACT. Both of you can learn as you go. ACT has helped me a lot. Eventually it will replace CBT, just gotta wait for people to get educated.
I don't know where I would find such a person. I don't know if you mean in a professional sense or if you mean someone on this board. You are the user who originally introduced me to ACT and got me interested in it from your posts.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #60 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 05:44 AM
Yoink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
I don't know where I would find such a person. I don't know if you mean in a professional sense or if you mean someone on this board. You are the user who originally introduced me to ACT and got me interested in it from your posts.
Yeah a professional therapist. You make an appointment with a therapist from that $500 million building. When you meet them, ask him or her if they can help you work through an ACT self-help workbook. I'm sure any decent therapist would jump at the chance of learning ACT while helping a client.

And / or we can support SAS users interested in ACT from this forum. Sometimes people get stuck, it has happened to me too. Like defining values, so many values to choose from, well eventually I decided: love is the most important value to me. Love is what guides and motivates me. We need to alleviate our own and others suffering and using ACT with love is the best solution.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page