Yoga - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 AM
SAS Member

Yoga and its benefits

I started doing yoga three years ago, it helped me to relax when i'm really nerveous or anxious, I really recommend it to anybody who feels like this.
It helps you physically and mentally.
I love it <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Permanently Banned

Yoga

I guess the yoga exercise positions help expand and rest the muscle tissue and bones. The information through these physical motions can help to make relaxing sense of relaxed and well-being. Exercise of any kind will help people with high levels anxiety.
tweed heads aged care homes
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 PM
SAS Member

I've just recently started doing yoga, I've stretched things that haven't been stretched in years...
So maybe I can get some proper sleep and feel a bit better

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM
SAS Member

I'm a yoga lover, I love especially bikram yoga and yin/yang yoga. Breathing and relaxing through stressful poses is good because it helps you apply that to stressful situations.

Because in the end, everything we do is just everything we've done.
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:57 PM
SAS Member

I just finished doing some. It's the only thing that seem to work against my injuries
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 AM
SAS Member

Question

sever SA

Does yoga and going to a spa help with SA disorder?
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:37 PM
SAS Member

Yoga and massage therapy are the widely accepted methods which has no side effects and it should be practiced under by the supervision of a skilled person.
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 07:05 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces09 View Post
Does yoga and going to a spa help with SA disorder?
Yoga, actually any phsyical activity, focuses your attention on the body and less on the mind. Have you ever been stressed or anxious then done something physical and found that your emotions had decreased?

Yoga is a very gentle exercise which can aid in simply distracting you from your emotions, but there are other ways of coping with your emotions including meditation.

Try this for a quick test. When you're feeling stressed, stop and look at something mundane in your environment. A pen, or an object on your desk. Study it with intensity. Put your entire focus on that object. Your mind will want to wander, to go back to the emotions, or to look at something else in your environment. This is okay, just gently bring your attention back to that object. Do this for 30-60 seconds. You should find that your emotions will be less in control of you.

Want more great relevant articles? Visit www.treatmentformentalillness.com
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Permanently Banned

yoga is amazing if u manage to practice it daily. id say meditation is very relaxing as well
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 PM
SAS Member

t.r.x training is the best thing i have tried.
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 04:34 PM
SAS Member

I started yoga 2 months ago now and I'm happy I did. It was awkward at first, I went to a session a year and half ago but never came back, then I took up Pilates and then came back to yoga. The teacher was a bit motivation after the first session. I'm so stiff and all, I need to have a teacher who doesn't make me feel like a big pile of cr*p.

The first 3 weeks were ok, but then it got difficult mentally, on one side I was feeling better, but on the other I had awful nightmares about the traumas in my life. For almost two weeks I woke up screaming or crying, or simply in shock and unable to find sleep afterwards. I didn't even know if I should continue yoga, but it seems it can happen with the meditation at the end of the session. I kept attending the class though and it went away.

I feel better afterwards and it's nice not to be in competition with anyone. I just go, do yoga for 1h, meditate for 30min and go home feeling good.
post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:23 AM
SAS Member

Hi everyone. I came on here to share my experiences with doing hot yoga.

I practice hot yoga regularly. Without being hyperbolic, it is changing my life. It doesn't just help me cope with anxiety - I think I am on the way to eradicating it almost completely.

A bit of background. My social anxiety comes from being over sensitive to other people/situations, and thinking things over too much. I grew up well adjusted and sociable. I had an okay time at university, but the year after I graduated my SA started getting bad. I became anxious and negative in nearly all social situations. I became very conscious of my social failings and how I had failed to make friends at University. I stopped enjoying talking to everyone. Only my girlfriend kept me sane (i met her before my SA got bad, and she stuck with me, even though I was awful to hang out with).

I was introduced to hot yoga, specifically Bikram, just over a year ago. I went in to the sessions a skinny guy, with average fitness and no yoga experience. Yoga sessions are quite intimidating to join in. As people have said, it is full of skinny athletic women (and the odd man) who are extremely good at it. All I can say is, it doesnt bother me any more, if I am the only man in the class, or if I am the worst, and that is still often the case.

When I first started I only did the odd class, sometimes a few a week, sometimes weeks, months doing none at all. I felt better after doing the odd session, but the affect on my anxiety was only small. Now that I am doing 4 to 5 sessions a week, it is changing me physically and mentally.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT MY SOCIAL ANXIETY PROBLEMS WERE MENTAL. I thought that if I could just change my thinking, then I would be better. Mind over matter. Putting myself in new and varied social situations would make it better. Believe me, I tried. I trained and worked as an english (as a foreign language) teacher. Surely standing in front of a class all day, engaging with and helping 100s of different people, would help anyone with their anxiety? Well, I quit the job, exhausted and stressed out of my mind, and still as anxious as when I started. I barely enjoyed a single minute of the job, cos of anxiety.

HOT YOGA HAS TAUGHT ME THAT MY PROBLEMS ARE PHYSICAL. Rather than my negative thoughts leading me to feel bad in social situations, they were a symptom of my physical anxiety. Session by session, hot yoga is flushing the stress and anxiety from my body, and making me feel great.

Why is hot yoga so good? I think it is fantastic exercise. It makes me feel better afterwards than any other exercise I have tried. I think the combination of heat and controlled stretching is just really good for the body. It is a tough physical workout, but it doesnt punish the body. After running or lifting weights, some part of my body feels very sore. After a hot yoga session, your whole body feels slightly tired, but also refreshed, and you arent in pain. With other running/weights etc., also it can be very hard to find the motivation to do that next session. But yoga is group exercise and I find that much easier to motivate myself for. Half the battle is won by the time you reach the class.

Six months ago I hit my low point. I was anxious, depressed, demotivated, and I didnt see a way out of my downward trajectory. Now I am confident about the future, and I believe I can live a happy and sociable life. Not only that, im gaining a killer body

Give hot yoga a try!
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 02:25 PM
SAS Member

I used to do yoga for a few years, honestly, I think any exercise you do will have the same effect. Though, I think stretching the body is really beneficial and that's what makes it feel relaxing.

I can't decide between morbid isolation or social repulsion.
post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 PM
SAS Member

I do a full body work out one day then an hour long Yoga session the next.

That routine despite being almost Zen in its simplicity is giving me my best results, which wasn't fully expected as I started using Yga to counter panic attacks.

Couple of knuckle dragging gimps in the gym think I'm a sissy for doing so but then I out perform them so its no water off my back and besides doing yoga means my body movements aren't restricted to the same movements used for lifting weights.

Vinyasa Yoga is my chosen form.
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 12:36 PM
slowlygettinglessanxious

My Mood: Worried
I've been watching two shows called Padma Yoga and Namaste Yoga on this channel called ONE: Health Body and Mind, and I've been recording the episodes, so I can do them at my leisure. Some of the poses are too advanced for me right now, but I definitely feel much calmer after I've done 30 minutes or so of it. I find myself relaxed and yawning
post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 10:26 AM
SAS Member

You guys are getting me fired up for yoga again. I did it for a couple of years and it was VERY helpful for both mind and body. Bikram (hot yoga), Vinyasa, and Hatha. We lived in a big city and it was easy to find a yoga class. Then we moved to a small town. There was only one yoga studio which went out of business. I tried one in a neighboring town but it was so weird - stuck up people - I felt uncomfortable so I didn't go back. I tried it at home, bought several CD's but it just isn't the same.

After reading all these posts, I am thinking I'll try at home again. I sure wish there was a yoga studio around here!

Edited to add a comment for Nite Owl - keep going to yoga. I think more men ought to do it, there really needs to be some kind of push for it. Athletic men like my husband suffer from stress, joint pain and inflexibility and yoga is so good for all those things. My ball playing H went to a few classes and couldn't cut it - it was too hard - so much for it being for sissies. I wish he would have continued because yoga men have super hot bodies.

Last edited by jangled; 03-12-2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: left something out.
post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Oh jeez... okay.

My Mood: Paranoid
I've been reading some of the replies on this thread, and the idea of doing Yoga to cope with anxiety is sounding really interesting to me, but I have a question. Do I have to go to a Yoga session to get the best out of Yoga? I don't think I'll be comfortable going to a session with other people, and would rather do it from home.

Hello
post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:28 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoStar SOUL View Post
I've been reading some of the replies on this thread, and the idea of doing Yoga to cope with anxiety is sounding really interesting to me, but I have a question. Do I have to go to a Yoga session to get the best out of Yoga? I don't think I'll be comfortable going to a session with other people, and would rather do it from home.
There's plenty of videos on youtube showing how to do the various poses etc. Give it a try

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." - Lao Tzu
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 03:14 PM
SAS Member

Though the side effects of venlafaxine I have to fart a lot presently, so doing yoga in a class will be a good conflict therapy for my SA.
post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:05 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, French, Japanese
I started giving yoga a try a couple of weeks ago at home. I use the Yoga Studio app which is easy to follow along with. Can't say it's done anything for my SA yet but I'm going to give it a couple of months.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page