Here:s a great video by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GSeWdjyr1c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 05:53 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Transcendental Meditation

I completed the course about a month ago. I decided to go for it after seeing some studies done based on those with hypervigilance in the Congo(war zone). It involved meditating 20minutes, twice per day. The instructor claimed it was much more effective than mindfulness, and for hypervigilance at least, I tend to agree.

The results of the studies claimed that hypervigilance was reduced, on average, by 50% after a few weeks of practice. Having tried I would say this is accurate for me. Nothing works miracles, and indeed the instructor made no guarantees of this nature, however the intensity of my hypervigilance has certainly decreased; this does vary day by day but on average I would say 50%, the hypervigilance is still there. For the first week I was dreaming a lot and sleep was fragmented however this has gone for the most part.

It is very difficult to fit the 2 20 minute sessions into your daily routine however I believe if you want to get better you will do it. The cost of the course will vary depending where you are and perhaps even your financial circumstances for which I was given a discount. The course takes 4-5 days and I have to go back soon so the instructor can review how well I am doing it.

I hope this is of help to someone. I can't go into the specifics of the meditation as I am not permitted to do so(you can be cynical of the reasoning for this but I am determined to follow exactly how it is intended) but if you have any other questions on the effects on me or otherwise, I will try my best to answer.
post #123 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 06:56 AM
SAS Member

Im happy for you, i will search about it...i have always maditate but not constant and without any instructor...after my last crisis i made a promise that i will meditate 20 mintes twice daily for the rest of my life, and i trully believe meditation is the most effective way to reduce anxiety and depression

post #124 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:34 PM
SAS Member

It has SAVED me! I used to have panic attacks weekly, usually 3 times a week. I stopped going out, resorted to drinking and ativan and was going nowhere good really fast...

I read a book by thich nhat hanh called "Fear" and it saved me. Combined with peppermint tea and yoga with adriene (free online youtube yoga!) I can live a life again.

I still have anxiety, but am starting to equip myself with tools to cure myself. Buddhism is another practice I have been reading up on.

Just bought the book "Mindfulness" by Tich Nhat Hahn, and I can't wait to read it...continue the journey on the right path!
post #125 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 03:52 PM
sarvam dukham sarvam anit

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomica View Post
It has SAVED me! I used to have panic attacks weekly, usually 3 times a week. I stopped going out, resorted to drinking and ativan and was going nowhere good really fast...

I read a book by thich nhat hanh called "Fear" and it saved me. Combined with peppermint tea and yoga with adriene (free online youtube yoga!) I can live a life again.

I still have anxiety, but am starting to equip myself with tools to cure myself. Buddhism is another practice I have been reading up on.

Just bought the book "Mindfulness" by Tich Nhat Hahn, and I can't wait to read it...continue the journey on the right path!
Very inspiring!
post #126 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:21 PM
SAS Member

I have to say, if you want to be able to make lasting improvement and positive change in your life, then give meditation and mindfulness a try. It will take more than a few weeks to notice anything, but trust me, life is so much less stressful. I have a hard time with a set meditation schedule, so I've just been making it a habit to set aside at least 15 minutes after I wake up to meditate. You wouldn't think such a short amount of time would make any kind of impact, but it really does. Combined with just becoming aware of any sensations, thoughts, feelings that you are experiencing right NOW, it can make a huge difference. The whole problem with stress and anxiety is the thoughts that you are identifying with and when you can be aware of what you are thinking and what you are currently experiencing, the thoughts naturally subside and you begin to realize none of your thoughts are real. They are simply conditioned beliefs that are limiting you into a certain personality. It isn't always easy to stay present, but it gets easier the more you do it. Even just paying attention to your breathing, the movement of your legs as you walk, the sounds you are hearing, is all you really need to stop listening to all the negativity in your mind.
post #127 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Work in Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tu Cielo View Post
I have to say, if you want to be able to make lasting improvement and positive change in your life, then give meditation and mindfulness a try. It will take more than a few weeks to notice anything, but trust me, life is so much less stressful. I have a hard time with a set meditation schedule, so I've just been making it a habit to set aside at least 15 minutes after I wake up to meditate. You wouldn't think such a short amount of time would make any kind of impact, but it really does. Combined with just becoming aware of any sensations, thoughts, feelings that you are experiencing right NOW, it can make a huge difference. The whole problem with stress and anxiety is the thoughts that you are identifying with and when you can be aware of what you are thinking and what you are currently experiencing, the thoughts naturally subside and you begin to realize none of your thoughts are real. They are simply conditioned beliefs that are limiting you into a certain personality. It isn't always easy to stay present, but it gets easier the more you do it. Even just paying attention to your breathing, the movement of your legs as you walk, the sounds you are hearing, is all you really need to stop listening to all the negativity in your mind.
I'm practicing it right now and am trying hard not to be so preoccupied if I'm doing it right or not, the informal meditation that is, I really don't want my OCD to twist it into an obsession, that would be terrible but it's pretty early and I have a lot to learn, I just keep telling myself it's like working out your mind as a muscle in the gym, it won't be strong unless you put effort and time into it. I also try not to upset or put pressure on myself if I don't feel aware or accepting, it just does more bad than good. Anyway excellent post, I believe mindfulness with the correct medication is the cure.

Diagnosis: Pure-O, SAD, Atypical Depressions, Narcissistic Tendencies, Mild ADHD.
Meds: Adderall x 10mg, Lithium x 1500mg, Propranolol x 40mg.
Whatever Happens, Happens.
http://www.steveseay.com/pure-o-ocd-...sessional-ocd/
post #128 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Work in Progress

"...when we face our anxiety out in the world we aren't sitting quietly breathing with our feet on the floor. For now, you should just concentrate on having the experience that you have while doing mindfulness. Let thoughts carry you away, but recognize them. If you are just that mindful it is enough at this point. If you can think of a label for the thoughts without getting caught up in thinking about a label for the thoughts, then do that, but don't worry about it. It will be easier the more you practice. I am certain that you will master it eventually and am hopeful that it will help end your anxiety. Good luck with it." @MrEMouse words of encouragement and wisdom

Diagnosis: Pure-O, SAD, Atypical Depressions, Narcissistic Tendencies, Mild ADHD.
Meds: Adderall x 10mg, Lithium x 1500mg, Propranolol x 40mg.
Whatever Happens, Happens.
http://www.steveseay.com/pure-o-ocd-...sessional-ocd/
post #129 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 11:37 PM
SAS Member

After about a month of meditating twice a day, I can say this is a really good thing. I meditate with mindfulness on a various body parts and sounds around me.

My focus is much better, I am more relaxed and don't fall so easily under the stress. I also noticed I enter more easily into a conversation and always have something to say.

I hoped meditation will also help me with my strong beating pulse which I feel all the time, but no results so far.

Liebowitz SA scale: Then 82, Now 74.
post #130 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 10:05 PM
Permanently Banned

I love to do meditation. I do it two times.
post #131 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 04:51 AM
SAS Member

meditation

For solving anxiety problems, give this link a try as it's talking about meditation http://bit.ly/1MS6GMq.
post #132 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:35 PM
SAS Member

Whats the best way to meditate?

whats the difference between mindfulness and meditation ? which is better for SA
post #133 of 138 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 08:22 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzi76 View Post
Whats the best way to meditate?

whats the difference between mindfulness and meditation ? which is better for SA
They are almost one and the same to be honest but have a few slight differences. It is best not to be too caught up in the definitions of terms though as both are merely signs pointing towards the same truth; heightened awareness in the present moment, which should be practiced to be experienced.

Mindfulness, is simply being mindful of every day objects and activities you do such as walking, washing the dishes, brushing your teeth etc. could be anything. Basically, paying attention to what you are doing as you are doing it without your mind wandering off thinking about something in the past or the future.

Meditation is usually in a sat posture (but there is also walking meditation, lying etc.) and there is more of a focus on the breath. You breathe in and out and that's all. You don't think about anything, just narrow the focus of your attention on the fact that you are breathing, but if your mind wanders off, don't become frustrated or berate yourself - just notice where your mind has gone and bring it back, gently, to the breath.
post #134 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 07:56 PM
SAS Member

Mindfulness meditation, specifically going on a 10 day Goenka Vipassana retreat (relatively secular), has helped me tremendously. But I did maybe 70 hours total of meditation in those 10 days, so it's maybe not as easy for someone just to start the practice of meditation at home and see immediate results. The worst thing about SA is that you negatively react to the anxious feelings you feel in your body in a social situations, not the anxious feelings themselves, and seeing how Vipassana is about changing your reactions to these sensations (remaining equanimous instead of aversive), it can be very beneficial. Actual practice in social situations is probably more helpful, but as anyone with SA can attest to, is far more difficult.

I recommend everyone try Vipassana meditation retreat. It has helped me tremendously.
post #135 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Breath in..and breath out

My Mood: Angelic
Meditation, especially mindfulness, has really helped my anxiety a lot. It still happens but I'm able to really recognize the little things now and blow through it, while the bigger things take more work to overcome.

I really do recommend it to anyone because of how easy it is to implement it into your life. You can literally take action with it in the next 5 seconds. It's crazy how much it can impact your life! Even a minute a day will be beneficial to someone.

Meditation For Anxiety And Depression - societyofzen.com
post #136 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:25 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena_SAS View Post
Meditation is a mental discipline where you attempt to get beyond the conditioned, "thinking" mind, into a deeper state of relaxation or awareness.

Similarly, mindfulness is being aware of your thoughts, actions or motivations.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation
Hi Helena! I know your original post is 6 years old, and I have no idea if you still visit this forum, but hopefully you still do! You mentioned the CAAN program at Stanford, and the link for that program is not working. Do you know if it is still in existence? I tried finding it on Google, but that link is broken, as well.

Thanks!!!
post #137 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 09:21 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
MEDITATION WORKS

Nothing is an easy quick fix but if you want to have faith in something put it in this.
At the worst you will lose 15minutes a day to resting and closing your eyes!

Namaste!

Check out my site and Contact me if you want some web space to blog or share your thoughts
www.evolveaware.com
post #138 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:10 PM
SAS Member

Anyone tried professional hypnotist, just wondering
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page