Meditation and Mindfulness - Page 6 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #101 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelClare View Post
I find that the best kind of meditation is just to take a walk where you try to be highly aware and conscious of everything around you and in you without any mental dialogue.

You will find that it's hard to remain in that state so that becomes your daily practice.
Funny you said that. I just came back from a walk in the dark. Took deep long breaths, and tried to keep my thoughts centered. Feeling less tense, jittery, and minimal clutter mind already. A bit at easy, being very conscious of how I spend my time (and If the activity I'm doing will even benefit me or not) even wondering what the hell I'm doing on here...

I've also done the CAAN study mentioned by the OP (small world) and it has instilled in me the habit to try to do meditation more. I've fallen in kind of a slump again now that I'm not regularly practicing, but I'm gonna try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 03:37 AM
SAS Member

It sounds like a lot of you have had some success with meditation techniques - along those lines, I recently heard about a kind of meditation done with a psychic and was wondering if any of you had tried it or have an opinion on it. I'm still kind of skeptic and haven't tried it yet, but I've had some success with meditation and it makes sense to me that by meditating with the help of a psychic, who can put you in touch with, for example, the people you're angry with or the people that cause you anxiety (or their "spirit guides"), you might be able to get farther and resolve more than you do by just meditating by yourself. Has anyone tried this? What do you think about the idea of this kind of psychic therapy? I always thought they were kind of phony, but hey, maybe it works??
post #103 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 PM
SAS Member

psychics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry789 View Post
It sounds like a lot of you have had some success with meditation techniques - along those lines, I recently heard about a kind of meditation done with a psychic and was wondering if any of you had tried it or have an opinion on it. I'm still kind of skeptic and haven't tried it yet, but I've had some success with meditation and it makes sense to me that by meditating with the help of a psychic, who can put you in touch with, for example, the people you're angry with or the people that cause you anxiety (or their "spirit guides"), you might be able to get farther and resolve more than you do by just meditating by yourself. Has anyone tried this? What do you think about the idea of this kind of psychic therapy? I always thought they were kind of phony, but hey, maybe it works??
i've been practicing mindfulness meditation and i can't see how a psychic would increase efficacy. mindfulness is being in the present moment and about becoming aware of your thoughts without attaching to them or judging yourself for having them. to use your example regarding people you're angry with: assuming a psychic was legit (i personally don't believe in any of them), putting you "in touch" with the person who causes the anger wouldn't help you because you can vent all you like to them or their "spirit guide" but you YOU have to deal to deal with the thoughts and feelings and stop attaching to them. YOU have to decide to stop identifying with the past and your story. when you have an angry thought, observe the thought without judgment by thinking "there's that thought again" and then let it float away like a cloud in the sky. there's more to it, of course, but if you really want to learn more, i recommend the meditationSHIFT course (www.thetadprinciple.com). they have a great blog that has a ton of useful insight, as well.

post #104 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 AM
SAS Member

Embarking on the path to spirituality may not be the easiest but is certainly is the most fulfilling. People have difficulties embracing their inner spirituality because the everyday stressors get the best of them and finding peace and happiness in the little joys of life can seem like a lot of work, and results donít seem all that gratifying. The thing that people fail to understand is that spirituality doesnít simply happen overnight. Itís a step-by-step process; there are ways through which you can get more spiritual everyday.

http://peacequarters.com/7-spiritual...ke-day-better/
post #105 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry789 View Post
I don't think you need a psychic to do this. Castaneda describes a process called recapitulation where every interaction you had with a person is remembered down to the smallest detail, every emotion is re-experienced, and then the emotion is released. The point was to discover where in our past we developed kinks in our relationship with others that trapped energy we could potentially use now. If you got in an argument with your mother and she said "you'll never amount to anything" that experience traps a certain amount of your strength by making you doubt yourself. It anchors the thought in your experience so you can never be entirely sure that she wasn't right. By recapitulating that experience and recognizing how it has trapped your awareness (you will always have some energy expended by that thought, even though it's usually occurring in the background) you can release it and get back the energy that you're wasting.

Morty Lefkoe uses a technique which is similar in some ways and different in others. The Lefkoe Belief Process focuses on the belief, not the event that created the belief. Basically, if you have a persistent thought: "I'm never going to amount to anything" you try to remember some event in your past that caused you to believe that, then you "break" the train of thought that led you to that conclusion by supplying alternative interpretations of the event. If your mother always gives you a certain look that triggers that belief then you re-examine that experience of being looked at to see if the belief is actually a real thing that exists in that look or just one possible interpretation of the look. The power of the look is defused by the knowledge that the belief doesn't actually exist as a thing; it's just an interpretation. The look "means" whatever we want it to mean. For one person, the meaning will be: "My mother doesn't believe in me. I'm never going to amount to anything." For another person, the meaning will be: "My mother's a *****. She has no idea what she's talking about." For another person, the meaning will be: "My mother really loves me and is afraid that I won't live up to my full potential." For another person, the meaning will be: "My mother is really unhappy. Something must have happened to her that made her feel like she isn't living up to her potential so she's taking it out on me." ALL of these interpretations are true because we dictate the truth of the experience when we believe our interpretation. At the same time, NONE of these interpretations are true because the event in and of itself has no meaning. It only acquires meaning when we interpret it in a particular way and then believe that our interpretation is "true".

Mindfulness meditation is a way of short-circuiting this process of interpretation/belief formation. When we're mindful of our experience as it unfolds, we're not inside interpreting and believing; we're just experiencing. Most spiritual gurus will tell you to forget about the past because it doesn't matter and they are absolutely correct: it doesn't, because nothing that happened in our past has any intrinsic meaning. Going back and revisiting our past is, in their minds, just going back and reinforcing the original interpretations/meanings. But I think this is unnecessarily restrictive. Since most of our emotional responses are triggered by interpretations we made in the past that are constantly being re-triggered by things happening outside of our awareness (subtle situational cues, facial expressions, voice tones, etc., that remind us of that past event) if you are able to figure out why those triggers cause you to re-experience that emotion and you can "break" the learned response, those triggers will no longer recur so you won't constantly be having to observe them and let them go.

My personal opinion on psychics is that they are more or less hypnotists. It works for some people the same way that regular hypnosis works for some people. Some psychics believe that they are actually psychics, and some know that they aren't but use hypnosis to help (and/or grift) people. Shamans are more like intentional hypnotists who use certain imagery and mythology to explain things and get results but they'll gladly lie (or "trick") people into healing themselves without necessarily believing everything they say. I have mad respect for good shamans.
post #106 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyWright View Post
Embarking on the path to spirituality may not be the easiest but is certainly is the most fulfilling. People have difficulties embracing their inner spirituality because the everyday stressors get the best of them and finding peace and happiness in the little joys of life can seem like a lot of work, and results donít seem all that gratifying. The thing that people fail to understand is that spirituality doesnít simply happen overnight. Itís a step-by-step process; there are ways through which you can get more spiritual everyday.

http://peacequarters.com/7-spiritual...ke-day-better/
Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed that article!
post #107 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
I tried it for a good 3+ months daily, without much success.

I had to stop it because it was starting to worsen my problems. As someone who suffers with pure O OCD as well as anxiety, when I got the the point involving examining thoughts and then letting them fade, this triggered some old pure O stuff. I suspect whatever biologically makes my brain ruminate on OCD stuff makes it incompatible with the whole 'thoughts will fade' business, they simply don't for me. Meditation is kinda like prodding the sleeping OCD beast, and given the hell that can ******* can create if it awakens it isn't something I am keen to mess around with .

I wouldn't rule out it being effective for some people / some circumstances though. Expecting it to magically cure social phobia doesn't seem likely, but perhaps useful in stress reduction and adjusting faulty perspectives.
post #108 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 10:05 PM
SAS Member

Meditation Yoga Class

I've been attending a yoga class that uses guided meditation and mindfulness and is specifically designed for those with anxiety and depression. I don't know if the meditation is helpful for my SA or not. I don't particularly like going to the classes but I make myself go in the hope that it will be helpful. I too find that my negative thoughts are trying to keep me from going to class and are trying to convince me that the meditation is ineffective. I'll never really know if the meditation is effective unless I try it, though. It's encouraging to hear the positive testimonials regarding meditation.
post #109 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 11:14 PM
SAS Member

I did a formal 6 week study at Stanford University. Definitely essential stuff. Of course I'm not 100 percent cured, otherwise I wouldn't be here, but it has provided some new must needed coping methods my mind needed.
post #110 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 11:15 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganh715 View Post
I've been attending a yoga class that uses guided meditation and mindfulness and is specifically designed for those with anxiety and depression. I don't know if the meditation is helpful for my SA or not. I don't particularly like going to the classes but I make myself go in the hope that it will be helpful. I too find that my negative thoughts are trying to keep me from going to class and are trying to convince me that the meditation is ineffective. I'll never really know if the meditation is effective unless I try it, though. It's encouraging to hear the positive testimonials regarding meditation.
The yoga/meditation is indeed helpful for your SA>You are pushing yourself and bringing awareness and focus to the breath. This causes your mind to clear up and when your in a social situation perhaps you'll feel more relaxed, and not as anxious. It was a part of the study I described (yoga was often practiced as well)
post #111 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 10:04 PM
SAS Member

Im thinking of trying this and If I am I have to keep at it and not forget to do it everyday. I tried a few things already to combat social anxiety.
post #112 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Put me with the crazies

Ironically enough, I'm taking a class on this throughout the semester. I'm quite looking forward to it.

"I'm a sarcastic person. when I talk to you, it's either because I really like you and feel comfortable teasing you or I really hate you and don't care if you know it. Good luck figuring out which one!"

"My life is like a super-villain origin story." -SASmember

Music status:

"You are such a pretty mess."
post #113 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 11:27 AM
SAS Member

Thumbs up

Meditation and Self-Hypnosis

There are similar traits to meditation and self-hypnois. Both require you to calm your mind and empty it of thoughts that can get in the way of relaxing. For a period of time you need to empty your mind, realizing no progress will be made or resolution over the next few minutes. Self-hynosis is the gateway to mental relaxation. It is not complicated and something anyone can do with a little practice and good information on the techniques.
Plus, it can be accomplished at anytime during the day. If you are sitting or laying down, Learn more about self-hypnosis www.HealthyIdeasToday.com:)
post #114 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 PM
SAS Member

Meditation is hard to do. I practice it from time to time.
post #115 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 12:01 AM
SAS Member

Open Focus

Stress, anxiety, depression. These are all caused by the way we pay attention, we are constantly in overdrive, we are constantly focused, this is bad for us, think of a car constantly driving in first gear, there will be problems with the engine sooner or later. the engine is our mind. first gear is our mind state

Dr Les Fehmi a neuroscientist that studies biofeedback, preaches that our natural state of mind should be effortless, we are constantly in a beta brain waves when our natural brain wave state should be in alpha

research open focus by dr les fehmi, theres an epub book you can get on your phone, its called the open focus brain
post #116 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 11:22 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
When i try meditating i always fall asleep, even when im in a chair. haha
post #117 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Permanently Banned

I've been trying mindfulness a lot more, ever since starting group therapy. The psychologists there get us to do it during session. Also my solo psychologist is very keen on me doing them as well, I first got the idea of doing it from her, as a part of ACT. I still struggle a lot with having my mind wander off to other things, but it can be relaxing too.
post #118 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:30 PM
sarvam dukham sarvam anit

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby View Post
I've been trying mindfulness a lot more, ever since starting group therapy. The psychologists there get us to do it during session. Also my solo psychologist is very keen on me doing them as well, I first got the idea of doing it from her, as a part of ACT. I still struggle a lot with having my mind wander off to other things, but it can be relaxing too.
LOL, my mind does the same...lack of regular practice, I believe...my psychologist does anxiety groups, but I haven't started yet until the current cycle ends. Would love to get proficient in "living in the moment"...um, what were we talking about again?

__________________________________________________ _______

"If my heart could do my thinking
And my head begin to feel
I would look upon the world anew
And know what's truly real. "
post #119 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 05:59 AM
SAS Member

There are a lot of free meditation videos on youtube. Also, I really like sites like http://tinybuddha.com

Also, worth mentioning is Pranayama. I try to practice it for at least 5 mins daily. I feel a huge difference when I don't do it regularly. My favorite is alternate nostril breathing. Here's a video demonstrating it:

post #120 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 06:42 AM
SAS Member

I start with 10 cycles of this followed by 10 cycles of the alternate nostril breathing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page