Announcing...one of the First Four Titles in the Overcoming
Series. The immensely popular international market leader of self-help titles. Step-by-step guides to self-improvement that introduce the methods of the highly regarded cognitive behavioral therapy technique to help readers conquer a broad range of disabling conditions--from worry to body image problems to obsessive compulsive disorder and more.
The accessible, straightforward, and practical books in the Overcoming
series treat disorders by changing unhelpful patterns of behavior and thought. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) was developed by psychiatrist Aaron T. Beck and is now internationally favored as a practical means of overcoming longstanding and disabling conditions, both psychological and physical. CBT insists that our thoughts
cause our feelings and behaviors. Even when our situation does not change, if we change the self-defeating ways we think, we can make ourselves feel better. This positive, pragmatic approach is popular with therapists and patients alike.
Books in the Overcoming
* highlight the history and background of the disorder, who is likely to be affected, and what the main symptoms are
* provide a structure ideal for personal use or in a program using guided self-help techniques
* include diagnostic questionnaires, case studies, and workbook-style interactive exercises
* explore step-by-step techniques such as diary- and record-keeping, problem-solving, and managing symptoms
* include overviews of all treatment options
* offer authoritative, commonsense solutions to pervasive, difficult emotional problems
* are highly recommended by experts around the world
* and offer readers an affordable and easy-to-follow treatment plan