Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step By Step Audio Program - Page 5 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #81 of 384 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Winter Is Coming.

So im just beginning to listen to these tapes but im confused about one thing.

I dont really understand what I'm suppose to do "everyday for 30 minutes"? Am I suppose to listen to one side of the tape? Do the handouts?

If someone who has done this before, clear this up for me, I would appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 384 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 PM
hf1
SAS Member

For me it was a little confusing to start with too. The whole idea of the course is to start to think differently, so the 30 minutes a day is when you practice doing that. If I remember correctly the first week or two is all about slow talk - so get the handouts you've covered a news paper or book and read any old story - just do it slowly.

Now I tend to read over a few handouts each night for half an hour, I'll do the ANT's handout and a selection of the others that I think are relevant to that day or to tomorrow. All in slow talk, and most of the time I speak them out loud too.
post #83 of 384 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 04:36 AM
SAS Member

Hi im undergoing in this audio therapy session and I don't know the mechanics on doing it? Am i supposed to be reading the handouts while also listening to the audio tapes? Also the sessions are cut into two parts, am i supposed to read one part on a single day, and the other one on the next? Also is it really necessary to read the handouts everday?

Please reply ASAP im terribly confused....

post #84 of 384 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:56 AM
hf1
SAS Member

I do read the handouts at the same time as I listen to them, it helps get used to the slow talk speed. I think the tapes are in two halves because tapes are short. If this was recorded originally on CD's then there wouldn't be two halves; so I always listen to side A and B in one go. I find that reading handouts everyday really helps so do try and find the time - It's also a pretty relaxing routine to get into.
post #85 of 384 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 AM
SAS Member

I know right the doctors voice is soothing...makes me feel relaxed.
post #86 of 384 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 AM
SAS Member

Thanks for this
post #87 of 384 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:36 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lde22 View Post
I attempted his program a few years ago. (I got it the "free" way). I got to I think tape 4 where you do the relaxation exercise. I did the relaxation exercise like once or twice and it made me feel really really weird so I stopped following the program. I think I am going to try again this year, but I have pretty bad depression and want to improve my depression at least somewhat before I start dealing with my SA.

I also stopped at the relaxation exercise lol. Much of the stuff he says seemed weird initially but i still followed along and eventually i saw results. But the relaxation thing...i just couldnt get it...so i stopped.

It turns out it was a big mistake since looking back at it (only happened 2 months ago, im new to SA treatment) i had really improved!

Im gonna be trying 1-2 recreational drug trips during this month and if they dont get me anywhere, ill be back to dr Richards tapes with a HUGE COMMITMENT
post #88 of 384 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
its a pain in the butt that anytime you want some profesinal books or advise you have to pay so much money for it.... this site should have some free info and therapy available... finding a cure for this harmfull disorder should be something free and available to the world, not so exclusive... do you know how embarassing it is for most people to ask their parents for their credit card to buy books for sa? i mean common... there should be free advise on here, enough advise for a person to make a start and feel much better about anxiety and even cure it totally.. if the person needs more info and therapy then he should make a purchase.. i really can't believe that everything around here has to get paid for?? are you kidding me? did you like that feeling being a teenager full of doubts and worries and wanting help and being to embarassed to get any therefor being stuck in the situation??? nonesense!

i've got both thomas richards copy for free, the audiobooks and the handbook, pm me if you want me to send me them to you, because feeling good and being healthy is FREE and a right to all of us... **** people getting rich out of our needs and problems enough is enough...

Cognitive: Everytime you get a negative thought, cut it down with a rational statement and you'll break the cycle down fast till it has no power over you and shrinks...

Behavioural: get out, stay out, join groups, clubs, teams, plays, etc... "however you feel, get up, dress up and show up" People are nicer than you think, rediscover this and stay active and go to as many social activities as you can... this is the essence of confidence..
post #89 of 384 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Winter Is Coming.

Can someone clear up for me the "30 minute exercises" for me? Sometimes he is not really clear on what you should be doing on a daily basis. Is there somewhere in the book where I can find a guide???
post #90 of 384 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 AM
SAS Member

So the relaxation tape is really freaking me out.Im going through some bad moods lately, but i am commited on doing this audio series therapy. But everytime i listen to the relaxation tape and try to feel like he says i should feel i either fall asleep or my anxiety skyrockets.I think ill skip this tape and do the rest since i am not the only one to have mentioned problems concerning this particular tape.
post #91 of 384 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer13 View Post
So the relaxation tape is really freaking me out.Im going through some bad moods lately, but i am commited on doing this audio series therapy. But everytime i listen to the relaxation tape and try to feel like he says i should feel i either fall asleep or my anxiety skyrockets.I think ill skip this tape and do the rest since i am not the only one to have mentioned problems concerning this particular tape.
Go ahead and skip it. What has helped me immensly is to simply go over the handouts that I feel have helped me the most, for me that is "Destressing strategies" and "turning the tables on the ants."
post #92 of 384 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 AM
SAS Member

If anyone who is doing this course fancies chatting on Skype (text chat) about it then PM me.
post #93 of 384 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 04:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Go ahead and skip it. What has helped me immensly is to simply go over the handouts that I feel have helped me the most, for me that is "Destressing strategies" and "turning the tables on the ants."
Yeah i did end up skipping it and its looking pretty good so far (althought that might have to do with me also reading other material meanwhile...especially material about self acceptance that if i understand correct, ill also encounter in the rest tapes too ...im only on tape 5 so far)
post #94 of 384 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 AM
SAS Member

I have an issue, aint sure if someone can help.

There's something going on with a girl at work.It's been going on for quiet some months now, and shes kinda the reason i accepted i have social anxiety and started an effort to cure it. In our first 1on1 encounters at work on a "lets-see-if-this-can-work-out",after some workgroup-nights-out that brought us closer, she freaked out a little by my obvious anxiety...or so i think and things went back to just friendly for a month or 2.

Anyway,during the last month things have been going better and shes asked me to eat together twice(again, at work) in what i consider it to a second-chance or something but i found an excuse to decline with the mindset "i am going to finish this cbt audio therapy first and then when i feel better about myself we can give it a shot". The thing is im only at tape 6, the semi-flirty emails keep going and this is reaching a stall where i think that she feels that i must either make a move or this is pointless (my friends seem to agree that im tiring this out and investing a lot of hope on it...which is bad apparnetly).

1)I think if i give it a shot, ill be less-anxious than before but still anxious enough to screw this up and maybe receive a terrible hit in my progress with the audio therapy so far, because no matter how much you stop negative thinking....a screwup with someone you really like is bound to mess you up. Ofc, another consequense will be some akwardness at work (thankfully we dont work near each other) and maybe missing the chance to make it work in 1-2 months

2) if i dont give it a shot and just wait while trying to maintain a warm atmosphere she might get bored (or "why does he keep messaging me etc if he isnt gonna make a move") or find another partner...since spring is here:P

Any ideas?
post #95 of 384 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 PM
SJD
SAS Member

I have finished all 20 tapes and it reduced my anxiety by 50-70%. Some of you stopped at the relaxation tape, but DONT. Just skip it, that's what I did. It took my close to 1.5 years to finish the series because I kept starting and stopping, but it is worth it. The only way you fail is if you give up. When I first started I thought I was the only person in the world with SAD but now I know that is not the case and I can even spot and recognize people who have SAD because I know the symptoms. I still have a lot of work to do and I didn't have access to a CBT group but I try to bring these methods and strategies into my every day real world (work, school).
post #96 of 384 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM
SAS Member

Hello gyus; I am also on the tape #4 and I can't get this feeling the doctor speaks about. Tingling sensation, heavyness - no way; relaxation, peace -well, as I'm home alone I feel relaxed in general, how do I know this is thanks to the tape? I also rather fall asleep than feel some energy going thru my body (should we really feel it like physically?? - that seems impossible for me). I've listened to the tape like 5 times and it's only like this: i sit or lay down, listen to the tape and.... nothing.
Maybe it works better for people susceptible to hypnosis
post #97 of 384 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 AM
SAS Member

As others posters said skip the damn tape. I believe future versions of this audio series must not include this tape, it does more bad than good to most people.

So just skip the tape and go on with the therapy as usual.He makes very little mention of the tape in the rest series so its np
post #98 of 384 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 AM
SAS Member

ya damn ok... i'm more curious if there are ppl who can really feel something physically while listening to such tapes.
Nevertheless I find this therapy working, it's really good. I was meeting with a psychotherapist for several weeks and it didn't help me at all, it was a waste of money; i'll recommend this therapy to everyone with SA.
post #99 of 384 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 11:29 AM
SAS Member

/
post #100 of 384 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
SAS Member

I am not sure if you are a native english speaker but "out loud" does not mean loud, it just means speaking them which can be in a very low voice.I can easily do it in my room even when there are others just next door.

IF thats also not possible, just dont give a **** if others are listneing but still speak them but in such a low voice that they can see that you are reading out loud but they cant understand what you say.He says its pretty important that you read them out loud.

He also mentions thatyou must devote 30' to the program everyday. I've been devoting less than that but i have also been devoting much of my day in countering negative thoughts or read other helpful relevant material even at work etc so i think thats ok
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page