Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step By Step Audio Program - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhamilt View Post
I'm 2 1/2 months into Overcoming Social Anxiety Step-By-Step (OSA-SBS) and it's doing wonders for me.

The two main things it teaches you to do is to disassociate from your negative thinking about yourself and social situations (and the world), and rebuild your self-image - which is totally f%#Ked and irrational if you have SA. It's like a nuclear attack on negative thoughts, and then a steady and solid rebuild of the city of your life.

It's not your fault if you have social anxiety to this point. But it is your responsibility if you aren't willing to do what it takes to overcome it. Dr Richards if very clear on this.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: If you are not actually really willing to overcome your SA, to absolutely do whatever it takes, you want to play the victim (part of the automatic negative thinking you may or may not be aware of), and don't want to take responsibility to solve your SA once and for all - DO NOT DO THIS PROGRAM. Don't pay $350, don't even pay $10 for it, or don't even borrow it from a friend for free - IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO SEE IT THROUGH - 5 MONTHS, EVERY DAY.

How bad do you want to overcome it?

Now that I've scared off you non-commiters - it is actually very easy to do (compared to other self-help stuff I've done, and gets amazing results), and can mostly be done in the privacy of your home/room.

I'm only 1/2 way through but let's just say I can go out by myself to bars, clubs and meet people easily and feel comfortable in myself. When I don't OSA-SBS gives me the tools to smite my SA right then and there!

I will re-post here when I'm done with the program, and from the progress I've been making, it's only up for me and down with SA. If it doesn't work and everything backfires, I will gladly tell you so, no BS here. But I can't even conceive of that reality somehow. But we shall see!
Thanks for the positive review. Based on what you wrote I am going to give the program a try. The Dr. does seem to have a good understanding of SA, and CBT has a substantial track record of success overcoming it.

I am on week one and like you stated the exercises are simple. I think that's why they might be effective. It's often the simple things that we overlook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 03:35 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
. . . I will re-post here when I'm done with the program, and from the progress I've been making, it's only up for me and down with SA. If it doesn't work and everything backfires, I will gladly tell you so, no BS here. But I can't even conceive of that reality somehow. But we shall see!
How is your progress coming along?

Currently I am about to finish two weeks of the program. It's simple, easy, and I have actually used the slow talk once or twice already. Stopping the ants is simple, but it's just a matter of catching yourself. I am surprised at how effective his methods are. I don't expect miracles in two week. These sort of changes take time. However I do feel that I am on the right path.
post #63 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 AM
SAS Member

Great series. Really makes a difference, and I've found my view on life and how i can completely distinguish between rational thoughts and ANTS thoughts is improving everyday. Yes yes, you obviously won't overcome SA overnight, but like it is said it the series, your brain has been programmed over years and years to think negatively. Just persist with it through the nose dives, and you will definitely notice HUGE changes in your life. And when you notice those changes, you will become even more motivated!

post #64 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:44 PM
SAS Member

It was very effective to get rid of negative thoughts, but the anxiety remained. Maybe I should redo the peace zone and relaxation tapes. I was never able to condition in the keyword "peace" or "loosen up".
post #65 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 AM
SAS Member

I agree this series of tapes do help to identify the negative thoughts. But I too haven't been able to alleviate the anxiety much. I worry that because there is no CBT therapy group near me that I won't be able to overcome SA by just listening to tapes and doing the homework.
post #66 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:11 AM
David H.

This program is the ****. I got over SA with it because I made the commitment and did it every day. It's well worth the price but then again there is always a "free" way.

But it's funny when people say "$260? I'll pass." They don't think their life is worth $260 bucks. They'd rather by 260 worth of drink or drugs to repress their condition rather cure bit and have a life beyond their wildest dreams. Just saying.. funny.

But it's just easier to stay safe, survive and be like everyone else. Glad I figured this one out.

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed." -Chinese Proverb

You can overcome your SA, don't give up!
post #67 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:18 AM
David H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenyteowl View Post
How is your progress coming along?

Currently I am about to finish two weeks of the program. It's simple, easy, and I have actually used the slow talk once or twice already. Stopping the ants is simple, but it's just a matter of catching yourself. I am surprised at how effective his methods are. I don't expect miracles in two week. These sort of changes take time. However I do feel that I am on the right path.
Glad to see you asked. I consider myself well over it. Do I still experience some anxiety sometimes? Yes but I can control it now and it doesn't control me. I smack down the ANTs and whTbi say goes in social sitUtions not social anxiety. As soon as any anticipatory anxiety comes BAM I smack thatb**** down.

YOU MUST DO THE THERAPY EVERYDAY. If you don't want to commit to that then stay miserable. I get tired of all the victimizing whining of people who day cbt targeted to SA doesn't work because they didn't do the work as told by dr Richards. And if you have half a brain you know how to get it for free. And still people won't do it. Jeez.

Bottom line get the program.

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed." -Chinese Proverb

post #68 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:21 AM
David H.

Sorry didnt quite finiah...Get it if you are willing to fully commit to it and do whatever it takes to get over you SA.

Most people are not up for it and that's why it doesn't work for them. I hope you are in the minority that will go for it and not the lazy majority.

post #69 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
YOU MUST DO THE THERAPY EVERYDAY. If you don't want to commit to that then stay miserable. I get tired of all the victimizing whining of people who day cbt targeted to SA doesn't work because they didn't do the work as told by dr Richards. And if you have half a brain you know how to get it for free. And still people won't do it. Jeez.
Like it's that easy, life circumstances can get in the way.

Btw how long did you do it? Five months or longer?
post #70 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:52 AM
David H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilio View Post
Like it's that easy, life circumstances can get in the way.

Btw how long did you do it? Five months or longer?
Who ever said it was easy? It's simple but not easy.

But I must say, that is quite an unresourceful belief you have there, how's that working for ya?

The program is 20 weeks.

post #71 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:26 PM
SAS Member

That's not a belief, it's a fact. But fortunately now I have the time for my therapy.

So you did the therapy exactly for 20 weeks and got over your SA completely. That's very good!
post #72 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:25 PM
David H.

Less than 20 weeks actually.
post #73 of 384 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 AM
SAS Member

Any body else going through the tapes right now? im on session 3 now
post #74 of 384 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimulateYourBrain View Post
Any body else going through the tapes right now? im on session 3 now
I am working the program. I am on tape 7 starting tomorrow. I have a thread up in the goals section where a few of us encourage each other to keep going. Of course you are welcome to join.
post #75 of 384 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 03:39 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
...If you don't want to commit to that then stay miserable. I get tired of all the victimizing whining of people who day cbt targeted to SA doesn't work because they didn't do the work as told by dr Richards. And if you have half a brain you know how to get it for free. And still people won't do it. Jeez.....
I agree 100%. I've discovered from being on forums briefly that most people are more comfortable complaining and posting as opposed to putting ideas into practice. I have come to learn that it's just the way some people are.
post #76 of 384 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 05:40 AM
SAS Member

Do it.

I hugely recommend buying this CD series. I have just finished it, and am much better, though I am going to continue until I have improved even more. In terms of anticipatory anxiety, self-loathing and physical anxiety I have seen marked improvements. I am a lot happier and less stressed out and depressed because of it.

FYI, before I had tried regular therapy, somatic experiencing and EMDR none of which worked. This is working.

Thanks, Michelle
post #77 of 384 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC132 View Post
There is a CCBT group therapy thing in Pasadena, CA. I've been to his office, but at the time I wasn't really "ready", I guess. He also uses Dr. Richards Audio Series for his groups.
I don't mean to interrupt this thread. But where is the CCBT group in Pasadena? Do you have a link to their website or something? I live fairly close to pasadena.
post #78 of 384 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 AM
SAS Member

I attempted his program a few years ago. (I got it the "free" way). I got to I think tape 4 where you do the relaxation exercise. I did the relaxation exercise like once or twice and it made me feel really really weird so I stopped following the program. I think I am going to try again this year, but I have pretty bad depression and want to improve my depression at least somewhat before I start dealing with my SA.
post #79 of 384 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 PM
hf1
SAS Member

I also didn't really 'get' the relaxation in week 4, just didn't seem to work - but I continued and the whole thing is really good. I'm still on #10 and I really think it helps. I have a really strange job/life mix so sometime's I have to dip in and out. I should have finished by now but I think it's more important to do each tape properly before moving on to the next one.
post #80 of 384 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 PM
SAS Member

I only did the relaxation tape twice mostly cos it is quite long, but I have found the whole peace zone concept really useful for getting rid of anxious thoughts and improving depression.

if anyone out there is doing the tape series and wants to skype about it, please message me. I'm in a situation where I can't join any cbt groups, but know it would be useful to talk to someone else in the same boat as me who is also trying to recover using dr richard's programme. please get in touch. thanks.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page