Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step By Step Audio Program - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 384 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:46 PM
SAS Member

Im sure it works. It worked for me. Check other peoples opinions on forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 384 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:47 PM
crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcorona View Post
I ain't paying $260 for a program that I don't even know works.
It's basically like 5 months of therapy at $13 a session, plus 140 pages of handouts, so it's really quite cheap.

It would be nice if they offered it in parts though, so people would be more willing to try it out.

"Sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic and fear, which is inherent in the human condition." ~ Graham Greene

My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk
post #43 of 384 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:00 AM
Permanently Banned

I've been trying it out. I've wasted a lot more $ on too many "therapist" sessions over a decade ago.

The first tape shows that Dr. Richards understands where SA people are coming from as he relates his own story. The anecdote about him looking in the library for anything to help with SA in the 80's reminds me of myself doing a similar thing for a few nights at the university library before I dropped out soon after. (imagine living in a dorm with severe SA ). Of course if Dr. Richards is for real. You learn to never immediately trust anyone or anything in business or life after multiple decades of SA and being taken advantage because of it.

One could be concerned that Dr. Richards is no Donald Trump or someone who has superior social skills to begin with, but he says he had overcome SA and that he and his associates have helped thousands of others improve as well. And another positive is that Richards experienced SA personally and understands it as opposed to a psychologist who has no first hand experience of the malady.

So far it sounds promising. I'll update this review as I go through it.

post #44 of 384 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:27 PM
SAS Member

It works for sure. It worked for me and Im very hard case. It takes some persistence.

Im a little bored with this handouts when I remind my self every day on it, but I have to, cause it really helps.

Just to ad some more handouts and expand the material:

http://www.anxietynetwork.com/helphome.html

If anyone has more material like this, please post it. I think Dr. Richards text is the best man can find
post #45 of 384 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Permanently Banned

I just started using and Im on tape #3 .. definitely have catched many ants, somtimes it seems you dont see progress but i still try to use the distractions, usuallu humming or using my ipod or phone to distract myself .. I have noticed mild changes .. im excited to continue this program, im sure is going to improve my social anxiety a lot because my social anxiety is not as bad as many people here
post #46 of 384 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM
SAS Member

Where to get it for cheaper

Hi Guys,
From reading all of your reviews, this looks like a good program. However, my resources are limited. Does anybody know where I might find it at a discounted price? Or even to borrow a copy?
Thanks All!
post #47 of 384 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieMichelle11 View Post
Hi Guys,
From reading all of your reviews, this looks like a good program. However, my resources are limited. Does anybody know where I might find it at a discounted price? Or even to borrow a copy?
Thanks All!
You can try eBay.

Discussion of how to obtain a pirated copy is not allowed here.
post #48 of 384 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:37 AM
SAS Member

I just ordered the audio series for $292.56. I hope it will be useful . I have tried few self help books. I found the "Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy" most useful so far.

I did not ever take any therapy or group session. This is my first step to join the group session offered by SAI as I live in Phoenix. Did anyone one try the SAI group session?
post #49 of 384 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:10 AM
SAS Member

My tips for this program are practice the therapy in silence don't play music even if its relaxation music you want as little distractions as possible. They say 30 mins a day as well but I think that won't be enough for some people and if you spend an hour a day (maybe 20 mins in the morning 40 mins at night) you will be almost certain to overcome your social anxiety if you stick with it and don't quit. I find practicing in silence I am much more focused yet much more calm.
post #50 of 384 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 06:03 AM
SAS Member

Would this series also help with depression?
post #51 of 384 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetamarillo View Post
Would this series also help with depression?
Oh yes for sure, not just social anxiety, also any anxiety and depression especially.
post #52 of 384 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 AM
David H.

I'm 2 1/2 months into Overcoming Social Anxiety Step-By-Step (OSA-SBS) and it's doing wonders for me.

The two main things it teaches you to do is to disassociate from your negative thinking about yourself and social situations (and the world), and rebuild your self-image - which is totally f%#Ked and irrational if you have SA. It's like a nuclear attack on negative thoughts, and then a steady and solid rebuild of the city of your life.

It's not your fault if you have social anxiety to this point. But it is your responsibility if you aren't willing to do what it takes to overcome it. Dr Richards if very clear on this.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: If you are not actually really willing to overcome your SA, to absolutely do whatever it takes, you want to play the victim (part of the automatic negative thinking you may or may not be aware of), and don't want to take responsibility to solve your SA once and for all - DO NOT DO THIS PROGRAM. Don't pay $350, don't even pay $10 for it, or don't even borrow it from a friend for free - IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO SEE IT THROUGH - 5 MONTHS, EVERY DAY.

How bad do you want to overcome it?

Now that I've scared off you non-commiters - it is actually very easy to do (compared to other self-help stuff I've done, and gets amazing results), and can mostly be done in the privacy of your home/room.

I'm only 1/2 way through but let's just say I can go out by myself to bars, clubs and meet people easily and feel comfortable in myself. When I don't OSA-SBS gives me the tools to smite my SA right then and there!

I will re-post here when I'm done with the program, and from the progress I've been making, it's only up for me and down with SA. If it doesn't work and everything backfires, I will gladly tell you so, no BS here. But I can't even conceive of that reality somehow. But we shall see!
post #53 of 384 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 AM
SAS Member

options

you can get alot of free help by going to anxieties.com. this website is helpful for those who can't afford paying a large sum of money for therapy. Good luck
post #54 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:41 AM
SAS Member

I just started this two days ago. I'll update this post as I make more progress into it, but it seems like Dr. Richards is pretty knowledgeable about SA as well as cognitive behavioral therapy. Since this program emphasizes repetition and persistence, I've made a visual calendar style tracker where I cross off each day so that I can make sure I stick to it.
post #55 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 PM
SAS Member

do you listen to it while sleeping? does it help?

I'm quitting drinking !
post #56 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:03 AM
SAS Member

I'm only on the first week's exercise tape and there's nothing in it to suggest listening to it while you're asleep. It's just an explanation of what the first week's exercises are and why they are useful. So, no, I don't listen to them while I sleep. There may be stuff down the road that might be worth doing that with.
post #57 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 PM
SAS Member

and for people that cant afford it its just a tease and wrong
post #58 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuneTree View Post
and for people that cant afford it its just a tease and wrong
I know it's an expensive program and that can be prohibitive, but Dr. Richards offers a monthly installment plan of $99.99, then $39.99 for four months, if that helps.
post #59 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM
SAS Member

I think if you are committed to it, listen to the tapes every week, do the readings out loud every day, and continue to practice, then it is worth it. I know it is quite expensive, but if you are willing to stick with it, then you are basically making an investment in yourself. For a lot of people, overcoming social anxiety could open up a lot of career opportunities and provide an enormous return on investment. Plus, there is the emotional return on investment in being confident and, likely, more happy.
post #60 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 06:40 PM
obi
SAS Member

Thumbs up

Pretty good

I've tried this one, and i must say it's pretty helpful if you've just been diagnosed with SAD. It introduces you to ANT's, slow talk, relaxation, and makes you question why you really have this way of thinking.

Really opens up your mind to what SAD really is about.

But...

I've started and stopped it several times.

Once you've done the initial learning about it, it makes it hard to go through all the beginning steps of the therapy again.

It's good for getting you in to a day-to-day good frame of mind, where you might just want to get past feeling anxious about getting on a bus, or doing your grocery shopping. Once a "huge" anxiety situation comes along, like a job interview or a party where you know your going to have to mingle with people for hours, it just doesn't seem to quite get me their and thats when i give up.

I would recommend it coupled with something else, like group therapy.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page