Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step By Step Audio Program - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 AM
SAS Member

I'll post the Table of Contents here, if you want a preview. Hold on...

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you."

-Dale Carnegie

"Nothing changes when nothing changes."

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
again, this is probably the best way to overcome social anxiety, I LOVE IT
post #23 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:49 AM
SAS Member

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info. Since there is no magic wand to make me emotionally open, I'll reluctantly bite the bullet and pay the money for Dr. Richards' program.

Re: emotional openness, years ago I took some expensive classes from PSI ("pop psychology") that temporarily opened me up to be able to express myself around people. The benefits faded over a matter of days, but it was a wonderful feeling while it lasted.

I've struggled with SA since 7th grade. Tried Paxil...it helped some...but I'm a minimalist and didn't like some of the side effects.

Okay. Time to proceed. The first step is often the hardest.

post #24 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:57 PM
SAS Member

Is there anywhere to get this for a cheaper price?
Im hesitant to invest this much money since I dont have much being in college.
Can someone who has used the program give some examples of what he asks you to do?
post #25 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 04:21 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfire View Post
Is there anywhere to get this for a cheaper price?
Im hesitant to invest this much money since I dont have much being in college.
Can someone who has used the program give some examples of what he asks you to do?
You may be able to find the audio online somewhere for free, but that's illegal of course. You could also find a friend or someone who wants to do the program as well and split the cost. I found a therapist that has a copy of the program and she's letting me use it free of charge.

I'm keeping a log on the forum, if interested: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...es-log-102328/

Please, call me Mike.

My SA and Depression blog: Unhappy Happiness

My CBT log: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...es-log-102328/
post #26 of 384 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:19 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex321 View Post
hey guys

i'm guessing the audio series only contains the cognitive therapy, right? does it also contain how we may go about the "behavioral" part through self-methods, or is it absolutely imperative that we find a CBT therapy group for SA?

really would buy this series in a heartbeat but i've been looking around for groups of the like where i come from (sydney, australia) and there don't seem to be any/many ... :-(
I am through week 11, and at this point, it's all cognitive therapy. He encourages you to get out there and start engaging socially--slowly and systematically--but that's really the extent of it, so far. I think coupling the therapy with a behavioral therapy group would be key. There just aren't enough groups out there, tailored specifically to social anxiety. That said, the cognitive parts alone are worth the price. Go for it!

Please, call me Mike.

My SA and Depression blog: Unhappy Happiness

My CBT log: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...es-log-102328/
post #27 of 384 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 09:22 AM
sad panda

Just bought this on amazon for 100 dolla!! So if anyone's looking for a much cheaper way to get this, just monitor amazon for a while..

so excited to start this.

"I'm a cabbage. I'm a good source of Riboflaven." - Robert De Niro
post #28 of 384 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 PM
sad panda

yeah... I also definitely wanted the work book that goes with it though.

"I'm a cabbage. I'm a good source of Riboflaven." - Robert De Niro
post #29 of 384 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Hopeful

Dr. Richards

I have it but by no means is a wonder cure, I think it points out important aspects about our thinking process, but to be honest nothing that was really new or breakthrough. It seems that if it doesn't work then it was your fault because you weren't consistent enough (whatever that means).

I think is definitely a good resource but is not a cure, otherwise we all be cured by now. I'm not sure is worth the price and why is it so expensive, many of the concepts I had/have read them online. But maybe the price is an incentive so that you follow through and acquire a discipline to observe/change your thoughts on a daily basis.

I personally think that your way of thinking usually is more tied to your experiences, hence a work group that provides a safe place to practice your behavior is best. For example you'll lose your fear of presenting if you have positive experiences presenting, rather than telling yourself everyday that presenting is not a bad thing.

Hey and medication are really a good thing, because in many cases it allows you to confront certain situation that otherwise you wouldn't and have a positive experience or if not your mind won't make much of it, so in the long term your brain even without the medication is going to be wired to think differently.
post #30 of 384 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:37 PM
SAS Member

UPDATE: actually if your interested in meeting online through skype or video chat for group therapy. We'll meet 3 times a week and go over the Dr Richards Tapes: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...group-therapy/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
I have it but by no means is a wonder cure, I think it points out important aspects about our thinking process, but to be honest nothing that was really new or breakthrough. It seems that if it doesn't work then it was your fault because you weren't consistent enough (whatever that means).
how far did you get? through what tape? If you don't have that many neg thoughts maybe you're already ready for the behavioral part?

Quote:
I think is definitely a good resource but is not a cure, otherwise we all be cured by now. I'm not sure is worth the price and why is it so expensive, many of the concepts I had/have read them online. But maybe the price is an incentive so that you follow through and acquire a discipline to observe/change your thoughts on a daily basis.

I agree there is no magic bullet cure where the SA just disappears. Overcoming SA takes lots of time, but if you change the way you think that is permanent. If you force yourself into things that your mind can't handle then you can do more damage then good.

The idea that this SA developed over a long period of time (through neg thoughts/cognition AND avoidance) is true. It takes a lot of brain 'retraining' and slow-gradual-exposure. This is all central to Cognitive behavior therapy and is well known in psychology.

It's like we want to get out of SAD as fast as possible, but that does not work. If you use meds like benzos its like putting a big bandaid. It may be necessary for you to do what you need to do socially, but it will not help you in the long run. it's the easier rout though for sure.

Quote:
I personally think that your way of thinking usually is more tied to your experiences, hence a work group that provides a safe place to practice your behavior is best. For example you'll lose your fear of presenting if you have positive experiences presenting, rather than telling yourself everyday that presenting is not a bad thing.
As far as it being tied to your experiences that's what CBT and the Dr R tapes are abhout. First you change your mind -then you gradually expose. I think the later tapes are about getting group therapy. So what you're saying is cognitive BEHAVIORAL therapy. The issue is that some people have much worse thoughts where they're so bad they cannot even fathom being in a group. So they probably need to restructure their mind/ ANTs thoughts first and more gradually before doing behavioral stuff.

As far as telling yourself everyday that presenting is not a bad thing... that is the first part of the tapes and the first part of CBT. CBT doesn't happen over night. You have to gradually retrain your thoughts then gradually EXPOSE YOURSELF. It is all about the experiences like you said, the only prob is a lot of people quit before they get to the later tapes/ to the gradual behavioral part of CBT.

As far as group therapy I'm thinking of setting up an online skype/video chat group where we can discuss the tapes/ practice methods/ and it can be like our online CBT group therapy. This would be a good gradual exposure for a lot of us and great practice.

Here's the group: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...group-therapy/

Let me know by PM

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...p-therapy-357/
Online Cognitive Behavioral Group Therapy (CBT) - Join if interested in Overcoming SA
post #31 of 384 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 PM
SAS Member

I've just got this, excited to give it a go, not expecting a miracle cure but hopefully it will help me somewhat
post #32 of 384 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 AM
SAS Member

Ive read the book panic to power a few times and tried very hard to make it work but all the technics the S.A.plows right through.Its like a moped going head to head with a freight train.I dont think spending all that money on the full course would be worth it.I might be wrong but I dont have extra money laying around to take that chance.
post #33 of 384 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
SAS Member

Iíve been dealing with SA for as long as I can remember. Iíve been to a several therapists and read numerous books, but I never felt like anyone really ever understood what I was going through until I discovered this therapy program. After hearing Dr. Richards talk about his struggles with SA, all I could think was, ďfinally, someone who gets it!Ē

I honestly didnít seem to be making any progress at first, and I just about gave up on the program altogether on several occasions. I would stop and then restart it several months later. Even now, after using the program for over a year, Iíve only progressed to the week 12 session. However, I have never been more optimistic about overcoming SA.

In just the last few months, Iíve seen major improvements. Iíve been doing things that I never would have been able to do a year or even six months ago. The key is to just be persistent and stick with it. It takes time. The sessions really do build on each other as I find that certain readings or lessons wonít really click until several weeks or even months later.

At times, progress still seems painfully slow and itís frustrating that there are certain things for which Iím still not quite ready. But, seeing how far Iíve come over the last few months, I know it will only be a matter of time.

I really can't recommend this program enough. I think anyone who really puts the time into it will see results. I wish I would have discovered it ten years ago, but itís better late than never.
post #34 of 384 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM
SAS Member

best treatment that can possibly exist

I am at 13th tape right now and must say i feel like a completely different person. What people say and how they look at me just doesn't bother me any more! I can make it through the day feeling confident, energetic and at ease, and i am not tired in the evening like it used to be. Generally, without having to pay attention to my worries and other negative feelings, i became much more productive and i can focus on a task whatever it is.
When i just started the program, i only listened to one tape once a week and read one or two handouts every other day. There weren't almost any progress as i quickly forgot what i learnt. But Dr. Richards kept telling on the tapes about how important the repetition is and i finally got it. I came back to the 1st tape again and started read about 5 handouts a day every day. Even when one day was missed it was noticeable how it holds back the progress. I usually read this weeks handouts and several ones from past weeks that i feel i need to work on what are relevant to a problem i currently have (e.g. worry or any other). In this way the progress is really noticeable and quite stable. I spend approx 30 min-1 hour a day.
Since i started this program i quit taking any pills as there is no need for them any more. No pills in the world can make you think positive or can change you attitude toward thing, and this is what social anxiety is about. As somebody already said here, the only thing i regret is that i didn't have this program before. It's just what everyone with sa must have! As for the cost, almost any treatment isn't free, whether it antidepressants or therapists. I personally used to spend at least $100 every month trying new pills for many years and nothing was effective enough...

Some people say you are going a wrong way when its simply a way of your own

post #35 of 384 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 AM
SAS Member

One more thing, earlier i read a book, which has many ideas in common with this program, although it's not about SA at all. Reading the book helped me to understand the program better i think. The name of it is The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

Some people say you are going a wrong way when its simply a way of your own

post #36 of 384 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:05 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I voercame my biggest fears with this tape, IE public speaking. Public speaking is EASY now, I used to be so ****ing scared during presentations, now I have lil to NO fear! WOOOT WOOT
post #37 of 384 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
SAS Member

Let me start by saying I love this program. I have had SA for as long as I can remember and it had basically destroyed my life and my sanity. When I was pulled away to college and forced to deal with the SA, everything spiraled out of control and I ended up with GAD and severe depersonalization. Not. Good.

Anyway, this program literally saved me. It took me from a place of intense fear (so intense I had completely detached from EVERYTHING with depersonalization) to fear to rational thinking and finally, to a sense of calmness. When I completed the 20 weeks, I was markedly different than when I started. It helped the GAD a bunch, too Ė especially that awesome relaxation tape.

My question now is...what now? I was SO BORED and ANNOYED with spending 1/2 hr. a day reading over the handouts that I basically completely stopped, threw the papers in the back of my closet & said 'I'll be fine.' Um...let's just say while my GAD is still much better, my SA has come back with a vengeance. I was going on nerve-racking interviews, to classes at the gym by myself, to work and having fun, etc. etc. I was far from cured but I was much better than I had been. Now, I work from home and although I love it, I can barely get myself to walk down the street to the gym (I moved, so it's a new gym, and is obviously the problem!) I guess what I'm wondering is should I start the audio program over because it helped so much? I guess when you've had something for as long as you can remember, it's not going to change completely in just 20 weeks. Or do you think it's time I take a different approach? I'd just love to hear from anyone who has completed this course and what their follow-up approach was.

Thank you all so much!
post #38 of 384 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 PM
crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalo View Post
Ive read the book panic to power a few times and tried very hard to make it work but all the technics the S.A.plows right through.Its like a moped going head to head with a freight train.I dont think spending all that money on the full course would be worth it.I might be wrong but I dont have extra money laying around to take that chance.
You can always find it free online, try it for a while, and then buy it if you find it helpful. It's quite a different experience from reading a book and doing exercises that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepelican View Post
I really can't recommend this program enough. I think anyone who really puts the time into it will see results. I wish I would have discovered it ten years ago, but it’s better late than never.
Same here - my anxiety has gone down a lot just after a couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene7 View Post
Even when one day was missed it was noticeable how it holds back the progress. I usually read this weeks handouts and several ones from past weeks that i feel i need to work on or that are relevant to a problem i currently have (e.g. worry or any other). In this way the progress is really noticeable and quite stable. I guess i spend about 30 min-1 hour a day.
That's good to hear - I struggle to make myself do it for half an hour a day (there are so many other interesting things to do), and often wind up forgetting about it. But even doing it so sporadically it's been really helpful, even better than the CBT I did 20 years ago with a therapist.

But I'm going to try to set a time for it every night, like 9-10pm. Otherwise I keep putting it off until it's too late.

"Sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic and fear, which is inherent in the human condition." ~ Graham Greene

My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk
post #39 of 384 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 AM
SAS Member

Ive been listening to Dr Richards audio series on and off. I think it is very valuable, and the techniques he explains are useful. Sometimes I think it is not talored specifically to me and my issues, I have depersonalization/derealisation as well and also elements of OCD.

I will continue to listen to the tapes however and very slowly work my way through them. I want to try some meds again and am about to start some group therapy, so I think these 3 combined may be the answer for me.
post #40 of 384 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Permanently Banned

I ain't paying $260 for a program that I don't even know works.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page