Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step By Step Audio Program - Page 12 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #221 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsf91 View Post
Thank you so much for responding! I'll have to try this (but not too hard ) right now, I'm stuck with having constant ANTs and having to counter them with the "right" strategy to use and it's not helping at all of course. Also, I've been trying the focus externally thing but its hard to do that particular strategy without pressuring myself to focus away from the ANTs.
I really recommend 'The Mindful Path Through Social Anxiety' (I think it's called?)

I also had some online mindfulness sessions with a bloke called Peter Strong. He was really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 PM
SAS Member

hi guys i just saw this post, do you think this program will help me be able to meet new people and be able to carry a conversation with them? Im a 16 yr old junior guy in high school and social anxiety is ruining my life ! Some people i want to talk to so bad and be friends with them but i know that i wont know what else to say to carry on the conversation after i introduce myself. Please help! thanks!
post #223 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 PM
SAS Member

I'm going to be doing a Day by Day or maybe week by week of my progress with this series. If anyone knows the correct place to post this thread that I'm going to make please pm me ASAP. I'm new to this site.

post #224 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 01:07 PM
SAS Member

Going conditional with your thoughts really helps. When i dont go conditional, it mostly sounds like a desperate self defense. When i say "maybe people dont think i am weird, maybe i just made myself believe that" i really feel better immediately.

I use this technique intensively for last three days and it seems i made great progress. I was going around and doing things i never did before.
post #225 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 02:03 AM
SAS Member

try to meditate too. I meditate from 2 weeks ago and now feeling better already, not really care what others think. my cbt audio therapy now has reached session 9
post #226 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 AM
SAS Member

OK, didn't read through all the threads, but I did read a lot of them, bascially what I'm picking up about this series is that the guy "teaches" you to recognize negative thoughts and what not?

That's great if it helps some of you, but honestly I am already well aware of my negative thoughts, I'm well aware that my fears and opinions of myself are irrational, I know not everyone is really looking at me and judging me, and that I'm really not such a bad guy - that's not the problem. Regardless of what I KNOW consciously the fear and tension still rise up inside of me.

Before I blow yet even more money than the thousands I've already spent on therapy/meds, and all kinds of other cures, can anyone post a youtube link that maybe gives a sample of what is on these tapes, because honestly if all he does it tell you to basically go "I think I can, I think I can" that is going to do zilch for a guy like me.
post #227 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 03:40 AM
SAS Member

My opinion is that you (and anyone who has not done it) are not in a position to judge if it 'll work from a demonstration or something.

It will work, DO the practise and it WILL work even if you dont believe in the methodology initially.

I have pm'd you a link to dl the series for free

If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe
post #228 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer13 View Post
My opinion is that you (and anyone who has not done it) are not in a position to judge if it 'll work from a demonstration or something.

It will work, DO the practise and it WILL work even if you dont believe in the methodology initially.

I have pm'd you a link to dl the series for free
Hey mate, any chance you could PM the link too please? I also agree, its ultimately down to you whether you succeed or not.
post #229 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 AM
SAS Member

I know what the guy a couple posts above means because I too know that my ANTs are liars etc. but everytime I go out in public I still feel intense anxiety and none of the strategies that he tells us to do work very well for me. I've been doing this series consistently for a year as well as attended a couple behavioral groups in L.A. They've worked okay as far as me being able to do more things behaviorally like actually trying to find a job, but they haven't done much as far as reducing my anxiety feelings as well as some of the thoughts. I've been going to stores every day and sometimes it goes okay but other times, I'll have intense anxiety and the "focusing externally" strategy that he tells us to use in these situations doesn't work well for me; I end up pressuring myself to focus away from my thoughts/feelings and that makes them worse. It's like, he's telling us to "shut off" your negative thoughts as if it's easy but it doesn't work for me. This is why I feel stuck.
post #230 of 384 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 AM
SAS Member

This might be helpful http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OtYYcWJ...%3DOtYYcWJcZas
It's a recording that lots of people I've worked with have found helpful in reducing social anxiety called attention training. You're meant to listen to it once or twice a day for 8 weeks. Takes a bit of practice.
post #231 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 06:59 AM
SAS Member

News from Dr richards:

PROGRESS REPORT: We are in the last stages of editing the completely re-written script and I will be making a video for each and every session. There are other surprises coming, too.

We may run into problems getting this out (IT problems) in the correct way, but it should be finished in the next month. I can't guarantee a time yet because of the potential IT difficulties. Registered users of the current series will get a break and pay a small price for the new material and the videos if they want it. The cost is going to be monthly, and will be as low as we possibly can go and keep operating. In addition to me, I have to pay a couple social anxiety moderators for the new online community site. It will be kept proactive
post #232 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 07:09 PM
SAS Member

Hey guys, I have been reading through this thread and had a question for people on Dr. Richards program. Do you have trouble sometimes distinguishing between ANTS and genuine ANTS? I mean, extreme example...someone tries to steal my wallet..I have an ANT which is warranted.
post #233 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 09:03 PM
SAS Member

Question

Can't afford this price. Anyone want to share?

I am looking to buy this set but can't afford the price. Does anyone have a used one to sell or know of a place where I can get a discounted one? Would anyone like to go in halfsies, thirdsies with me? I could also RENT it from you if you aren't willing to part with yours permanently. I am pretty OCD so I would be done with the program in a timely manner. We could set something up. Thanks.
post #234 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 07:26 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimulateYourBrain View Post
News from Dr richards:

PROGRESS REPORT: We are in the last stages of editing the completely re-written script and I will be making a video for each and every session. There are other surprises coming, too.

We may run into problems getting this out (IT problems) in the correct way, but it should be finished in the next month. I can't guarantee a time yet because of the potential IT difficulties. Registered users of the current series will get a break and pay a small price for the new material and the videos if they want it. The cost is going to be monthly, and will be as low as we possibly can go and keep operating. In addition to me, I have to pay a couple social anxiety moderators for the new online community site. It will be kept proactive

Sounds nice I wan't to restart the program
post #235 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 06:14 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreall23 View Post
Hey guys, I have been reading through this thread and had a question for people on Dr. Richards program. Do you have trouble sometimes distinguishing between ANTS and genuine ANTS? I mean, extreme example...someone tries to steal my wallet..I have an ANT which is warranted.
Well, ANT stands for Automatic Negative Thought ....someone trying to steal your wallet is not a thought....it is an action,something happening which is not Negative by default. It might be positive from the thief's point of view and negative from your point of view.

I am not sure if that helps but maybe you can clarify it some more. Usually ANTS have to do about ourselves the way i see it. I mean, there can be ANTS where we assume the worst about other people...but i think this is only vaguely related to social anxiety and you can tackle it at another point in time!

If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe
post #236 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 PM
SAS Member

My report, seven months after started this program.

On a Liebowitz scale I am a stabile 74 now. Back then I was between 78 and 82.

Successful part: My one to one social interaction is noticeably improved. I am more talkative and optimistic now. I no longer have short strokes of depression like I had before. Also I get rid of reasonless adrenaline attacks which I had in past, even without presence of other people.

Not so successful part: I still feel the same amount of self consciousness in public places, not always, but 70% of time I feel as bad as before therapy. For the last two months I feel stuck in my progress. I believe therapy group could help a lot but I don't have any of it near my place.
post #237 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:10 PM
SAS Member

Thanks for this. I feel optimistic about the program since the guy speaks so matter of factly about how repeating the exercises ensures success. I did my first slow talk today. I felt weird at first just hearing myself talk since i dont do much of that. Havent read something outloud since high school. I feel like doing this exercise will improve my clarity in speech as well, as i usually mumble fast softly. I wonder what the exercise will be next week. Doing affirmations makes me feel so weird as i hate talking about myself. Especially out loud it makes me cringe.
post #238 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 01:01 PM
SAS Member

One thing I didnt mention: I dont care anymore about embarrassing situations from the past. I dont know how, or which technique cured that, but it just stopped bothering me. For example, when I was 17, I was drunk and tried to kiss one girl in front of all of my friends, and she moved away awkwardly.

Since that event, I thought about it (and some other events) very often and felt extreme shame, sometimes I even just wanted to die. But, for last few months I can think about those things without any emotions. I just dont give a f**k anymore.
post #239 of 384 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 07:00 AM
SAS Member

Does anybody had any success with the relaxation tape? I avoided it before, but now, I am using it for two weeks and it seems it helps. Tension was always my big problem, I had it even when I was a kid, before SA.
post #240 of 384 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:39 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmat View Post
Does anybody had any success with the relaxation tape?
If you just listen to it I'm sure it has positive effect in letting you learn the technique of relaxation.

I have used it for 4 months now. At certain periods of time it works better, at others it doesn't. I do have a keyword, but using it in public doesn't work very well yet. I usually use it to help me fall asleep or calm down when I'm stressed.

A technique which has recently been doing wonders for me in terms of relaxation, more than the tape, is exaggerated slow-talk.

I read a text for about 20 min, out load, in such a way that there are clear gaps between each and single word. Makes your reading incredibly slow. The reason why I did this is I have still not mastered using slow-talk in public.

I then enter an amazing state of relaxation, emotion and peace (for some reason rubbing my head, it feels awesome). In such stage my ANTs are gone, anxiety is gone, thinking is stopped entirely.

This relaxation made me learn something incredible: out emotional brains have a defense mechanism, when all the thinking is stopped and you come back to initial neutrality of body and mind. That is the purpose of the relaxation tape, I suppose.

Try this technique sometimes.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page