Winter Cherry (ashwagandha) - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 03:53 PM
SAS Member

Hi I'm willing to try Ashwagandha. I'm actually South Asian, but surprised I've never heard of it and neither has my family. We do use a lot of spices/herbs in our cooking, so I do think that it would be helpful. I have tried it in Yogi tea and it was alright, nothing all that changing. But I was wondering how you guys take it and what form/brand?

I feel like there are a few things I need to work on my anxiety that I'm hoping it will help
1. anxiety-generalized and social
2. Bouts of irritation/depression
3. Focus

I have heard ashawaandha does these things at minimal side-effects. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:32 PM
SAS Member

tried it a while back felt just a slight more sociable but in an impulsive way like alcohol without the intoxication and drowsiness of course but I don't like that type of sociability. makes me say the wrong things at the wrong time!

staying legal, natural, and sober. curiosity can be deadly
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 AM
SAS Member

I just bought some at GNC and I am kind of skeptical about it's potency. I am taking one dose (475 mg.) to see how it goes and then up to two. I started it yesterday and I think it helped a little.

Re-edit: I just returned my ashwagandha to GNC, because I didn't feel any effects and the man that runs the small town health food store said GNC is pretty bad as far as potentcy which I had already presumed. I've probably taken 1425 mg. within an hour or 2 hour period and cannot reflect on any calming or relaxing effects.

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:50 AM
SAS Member

using ashwagandha 2 days not feeling any difference yet. Taking Himalaya brand 500mg 2x day. In fact last 2 nights sleep was very bad waking up after 5-6 hours sleeping and then difficulty sleep again... maybe it needs time to start work? Within what time other users notice effects?
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 04:44 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikardo82 View Post
using ashwagandha 2 days not feeling any difference yet. Taking Himalaya brand 500mg 2x day. In fact last 2 nights sleep was very bad waking up after 5-6 hours sleeping and then difficulty sleep again... maybe it needs time to start work? Within what time other users notice effects?
Hey Rikardo, if you don't mind, you could keep me updated on yer ashwaganda trial. I've been looking to try it myself, but have found that the extract of ashwaganda in most supplements isn't too high. So I wasn't sure if it was worth my time purchasing it. Would be good to hear your experience with it....
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:40 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debs123 View Post
Hey Rikardo, if you don't mind, you could keep me updated on yer ashwaganda trial. I've been looking to try it myself, but have found that the extract of ashwaganda in most supplements isn't too high. So I wasn't sure if it was worth my time purchasing it. Would be good to hear your experience with it....
I read others used 3X250MG capsules so 500mg should be fine. Or are there brands with higher doses?

here is what it says from examine.com
Although
optimal dosing strategies are not known, ashwagandha is usually taken with food in at least two divided
doses a day (so the aforementioned 500 mg of the root extract would be taken in two daily doses of 250
mg).
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikardo82 View Post
I read others used 3X250MG capsules so 500mg should be fine. Or are there brands with higher doses?

here is what it says from examine.com
Although
optimal dosing strategies are not known, ashwagandha is usually taken with food in at least two divided
doses a day (so the aforementioned 500 mg of the root extract would be taken in two daily doses of 250
mg).
I don't think the 500mg on tubs has anything to do with the amount of extract in it? That I think, is the amount of tablets or size? Check that link. It seems to be there's only (4.5mg) extract in the 300mg. Am I confused? Whats the extract in yours?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...il.asp?pid=831
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Man on the Moon

Language: SQL
My Mood: Lonely
i've taken this stuff for well over a year now. it hasn't done a damn thing for SA but it does seem like its helped with depression and obsessive tendencies
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 05:07 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuiet76 View Post
i've taken this stuff for well over a year now. it hasn't done a damn thing for SA but it does seem like its helped with depression and obsessive tendencies

Which brand do you use? And how much of an extract of ashwaganda is in it? Perhaps the higher the extract, the more positive effects on anxiety?
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 02:22 PM
SAS Member

I just joined the site because I found it while searching for information on Ashwaghanda and followed this link to the study by NIH. I bought my first bottle today and will let you know how it is working for me! Thank you for sharing this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissistic Pundit View Post
This study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/ppmc/articles/PMC2729375/

Found:
The NC group referring to the group that was given withania somnifera (winter cherry). Sounds promising!
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 02:27 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debs123 View Post
Which brand do you use? And how much of an extract of ashwaganda is in it? Perhaps the higher the extract, the more positive effects on anxiety?
I bought the Pure Encapsulations brand that was recommended by my physician and purchased at my neighborhood pharmacy. I am going to take 1,000mg two times daily for anxiety and depression. Just took my first two pills one hour ago and already feel more calm.
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Which brand is good in powder bulk?
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:42 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyToHeal View Post
I bought the Pure Encapsulations brand that was recommended by my physician and purchased at my neighborhood pharmacy. I am going to take 1,000mg two times daily for anxiety and depression. Just took my first two pills one hour ago and already feel more calm.
Hey, could you keep me updated on yer progress and how successful they are? Would be appreciated! Good luck!
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, Korean, something else soon
I guess you might have to take this at the right time of day for it to be beneficial. I was wondering if this supplement flattens the cortisol cycle (which is probably bad for me) or brings cortisol up/down to where its supposed to be...

the graph makes it seem like you can control cortisol just by how much/when you eat...

know yourself, love yourself
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 AM
SAS Member

Choosing best ashwagandha for anxiety

Hi,

I've been taking ashwagandha for years. Tried many different products and learned a lot about various forms in the process. I wanted to share some info to help clear up questions regarding brand and dosages.

For doses, in general, it's the amount of "withanolides" (the active ingredient) rather than the total amount of ashwagandha in terms of mg's. It's similar in this sense to alcohol. 2 shots of Vodka is more alcohol than one beer (even though the beer has more volume. So look at the % of withanolides and multiply by the number of mg's to get an idea.

But then it gets a bit more complex. There are different qualities of withanolides (are they from the root, which is better), or are they from the root and leaves (which contains withaferin A, a cytotoxic chemical). Was the withanolide content measured by HPLC? This is the proper way to measure.

The quality of ashwagandha varies a lot. And different species seem to have different effects. It's not simply the amount of withanolides. It's always best to look at the scientific research when determining which kind to get.

The 2 most impressive forms of ashwagandha are new and exciting. There is KSM-66 and Sensoril. These are both pure ashwagandha extracts and both have their own advantages. KSM-66 has a great study showing how it can reduce anxiety. This is a good overview of KSM-66. It is also certified organic, non-GMO, and has 5% withanolides.

Sensoril has 8% withanolides. It is an extract of the root and the leaves. It has it's own list of studies as well. Anecdotal reports I've heard say that KSM-66 is more calming in general, and Sensoril is more energy boosting. Here is some info about Sensoril. That second link is from their own site, but you can click around and see the facts and clinical evidence.

Interested to hear if anyone here has tried either form and what your experiences have been.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark38 View Post
Hi,

I've been taking ashwagandha for years. Tried many different products and learned a lot about various forms in the process. I wanted to share some info to help clear up questions regarding brand and dosages.

For doses, in general, it's the amount of "withanolides" (the active ingredient) rather than the total amount of ashwagandha in terms of mg's. It's similar in this sense to alcohol. 2 shots of Vodka is more alcohol than one beer (even though the beer has more volume. So look at the % of withanolides and multiply by the number of mg's to get an idea.

But then it gets a bit more complex. There are different qualities of withanolides (are they from the root, which is better), or are they from the root and leaves (which contains withaferin A, a cytotoxic chemical). Was the withanolide content measured by HPLC? This is the proper way to measure.

The quality of ashwagandha varies a lot. And different species seem to have different effects. It's not simply the amount of withanolides. It's always best to look at the scientific research when determining which kind to get.

The 2 most impressive forms of ashwagandha are new and exciting. There is KSM-66 and Sensoril. These are both pure ashwagandha extracts and both have their own advantages. KSM-66 has a great study showing how it can reduce anxiety. This is a good overview of KSM-66. It is also certified organic, non-GMO, and has 5% withanolides.

Sensoril has 8% withanolides. It is an extract of the root and the leaves. It has it's own list of studies as well. Anecdotal reports I've heard say that KSM-66 is more calming in general, and Sensoril is more energy boosting. Here is some info about Sensoril. That second link is from their own site, but you can click around and see the facts and clinical evidence.

Interested to hear if anyone here has tried either form and what your experiences have been.
I wish this was posted last weekend before I bought some from Amazon. I'm trying to take this along with magnesium to hopefully replace the klonopin I'm taking to manage my anxiety.

"Trying and failing is better than failing to try"
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:31 PM
SAS Member

@No Limit ,

Sorry about that. At least you only got one bottle I guess. By the way, interested in hearing how it works for you with the magnesium. Which brand did you get by the way? At least now you've got some more options for next order.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 08:34 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark38 View Post
@No Limit,

Sorry about that. At least you only got one bottle I guess. By the way, interested in hearing how it works for you with the magnesium. Which brand did you get by the way? At least now you've got some more options for next order.
No worries Mark.

I bought a bottle of Planetary Herbals Full Spectrum Ashwagandha 570 mg Tablets' 120 tablets - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and Magnesium Taurate 125 mg 60 Capsules - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to do a little bit more research on the forums about magnesium since there's several types, but it seems like the Taurate version is best for anxiety.

I've been slowly tapering off of klonopin now while taking both supplements. I feel more energetic and a little bit more calm. And so far no anxiety or jitters/nervousness yet that I usually happens to me when I start tapering off a benzo like Klonopin. I hope this works in the long run as I'm tired of taking benzos for what seems like forever and it seems to have lost it's effectiveness unless I up the dosage.

"Trying and failing is better than failing to try"
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena_SAS View Post
Winter cherry (withania somnifera), also known as ashwagandha or Indian ginseng, has traditionally been used as part of a holistic system of medicine in India known as ayurveda. The herbal supplement is produced from the root of the plant and is known as an adaptogen, meaning that it increases resistance to physical and emotional stress. In terms of emotional health, winter cherry has been used to promote emotional balance in cases of mild anxiety, depression and mental or physical fatigue. The supplement is also known to have many preventative qualities, such as anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withania_somnifera
I'll get my coat...
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 09:46 PM
SAS Member

I just picked up a bottle of Ashwagandha with 600 mg 2.5% withanolides and 5-htp. Also picking up magnesium tomorrow, and ordered some L-Thanine from Amazon. I don't like to start so many things at once but I really need this **** taken care of so I can get back to enjoying my life again. Hope people keep this thread alive and post results...I plan to. Thanks for sharing thus far, I really hope this will help.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page