Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Supplements (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f56/)
-   -   Winter Cherry (ashwagandha) (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f56/winter-cherry-ashwagandha-84128/)

Helena_SAS 02-26-2010 01:59 PM

Winter Cherry (ashwagandha)

Winter cherry (withania somnifera), also known as ashwagandha or Indian ginseng, has traditionally been used as part of a holistic system of medicine in India known as ayurveda. The herbal supplement is produced from the root of the plant and is known as an adaptogen, meaning that it increases resistance to physical and emotional stress. In terms of emotional health, winter cherry has been used to promote emotional balance in cases of mild anxiety, depression and mental or physical fatigue. The supplement is also known to have many preventative qualities, such as anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withania_somnifera

Narcissistic Pundit 03-05-2011 12:06 AM

This study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/ppmc/articles/PMC2729375/

Found:
Quote:

Employees with moderate to severe anxiety of longer than 6 weeks duration were randomized based on age and gender to receive naturopathic care...over a period of 12 weeks...

...Significant differences between groups were also observed in mental health, concentration, fatigue, social functioning, vitality, and overall quality of life with the NC group exhibiting greater clinical benefit.
The NC group referring to the group that was given withania somnifera (winter cherry). Sounds promising!

popeet 03-05-2011 04:19 AM

I'm getting ready to add this to what I'm taking, as I have low cortisol and it helps with either high or low cortisol.

popeet 03-08-2011 08:21 AM

K. I got mine in the mail today. I'm finna take it.

Narcissistic Pundit 03-08-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popeet (Post 1058860197)
K. I got mine in the mail today. I'm finna take it.

I'm considering getting a bottle next time I order vitamins. Let us know how it works for you.

sarahweedon1 09-03-2011 09:32 AM

ashwagandha

hi I am new here.
I have had socail anxiety for about a year now it all started when my son was born. it has gotten alittle bit better. I dont have trouble talking on the phone anymore just i cant go to the mall or park or walk out of sight from my home or else i start panicing or school. its a pain in the [email protected]#. but anyways if anyone has some good insight for me on natural supplements because i refuse to take any prescriptions for the side affects part.
i was thinking of ordering this ashwagandha it sound really good :D but not sure

Xande 09-03-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahweedon1 (Post 1059270581)
hi I am new here.
I have had socail anxiety for about a year now it all started when my son was born. it has gotten alittle bit better. I dont have trouble talking on the phone anymore just i cant go to the mall or park or walk out of sight from my home or else i start panicing or school. its a pain in the [email protected]#. but anyways if anyone has some good insight for me on natural supplements because i refuse to take any prescriptions for the side affects part.
i was thinking of ordering this ashwagandha it sound really good :D but not sure

Not sure about this supplement, but Phenibut seems to have helped out some members here (check out the reviews or run a search for reviews).

Also note, just because something is a supplement, it doesn't mean that it won't have any side effects. Supplements could have side effects, just like prescription meds. But before trying anything, always do research on the supplement/med to see if the potential benefits outweigh the risk.

Good luck!

sarahweedon1 09-03-2011 12:05 PM

ok thanks xande

candiedsky 10-09-2011 03:17 PM

I took ashwagandha for a while, and did feel calmer and more stable! But I didn't really notice this until I ran out. After it was gone, about a week or so without it, I felt irritable, snappy, tired... the works. It is definitely on my to do list to get some more of this! :yes

tyleote 12-12-2011 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candiedsky (Post 1059352332)
I took ashwagandha for a while, and did feel calmer and more stable! But I didn't really notice this until I ran out. After it was gone, about a week or so without it, I felt irritable, snappy, tired... the works. It is definitely on my to do list to get some more of this! :yes

This post interested me in finding out if there was anything to this experience. Wikipedia states:
Quote:

The main active constituents [in ashwagandha] are alkaloids and steroidal lactones. These include tropine and cuscohygrine. The leaves contain the steroidal lactones.

So are tropine and cuscohygrine going to tell us anything about the above candy's experience? Let's look if cuscohygrine tells us anything first:

Quote:

Cuscohygrine is a pyrrolidine alkaloid found in coca. It can be extracted from plants of the family Solanaceae... ...Cuscohygrine usually comes with other, more potent alkaloids like atropine or cocaine.
wiki
Interesting!

Quote:

Pyrrolidine is found naturally in the leaves of tobacco and carrot. The pyrrolidine ring structure is present in numerous natural alkaloids such as nicotine and hygrine. It is found in many pharmaceutical drugs such as procyclidine and bepridil. It also forms the basis for the racetam compounds (e.g. piracetam, aniracetam)."
- wiki

So there is probably something going on there; but what about tropine?

also a antichlogeric agent -
Quote:

Anticholinergics are a class of medications that inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells. The nerve fibers of the parasympathetic system are responsible for the involuntary movements of smooth muscles present in the gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract, lungs, etc
wiki
I'm not sure what effect this has on choline supplements... does anyone know?

I think the majority of the health benefits likely come from the withaferin A, or steroidal lactones. The anxylotic effects probably come from the tropine and cuscohygrine. Does long-term ingestion of tropine and cuscohygrine cause withdrawal symptoms following discontinuation of use?

simpleindian 12-12-2011 01:57 AM

its good to know that so many of u trust ayuvedic remedies.ayurveda originated in Indian but i do think that we indians dont value it is as much as europeans and americans do just like yoga..but i have heard that ayurvedic remedies r great and has no side effects

Narcissistic Pundit 12-13-2011 11:46 AM

Ashwagandha works well for me. My first time taking it was shortly before a night class. I normally don't talk to anybody, or even the teacher, but from the first night I took ashwagandha I was starting conversations with people around me and answering the teacher. It doesn't have a strong effect like cocaine, but an effect is definitely their (socially, not stimulatory).

It helps me to ease anxiety of the mind, as well as to loosen up socially. The easing of the mind is probably why it is said to help against gray hairs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleindian (Post 1059497357)
its good to know that so many of u trust ayuvedic remedies

Ashwagandha is my first experience with ayurvedic medicine, but I now have much more respect for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleindian (Post 1059497357)
i have heard that ayurvedic remedies...has no side effects

This is not entirely true. While it may not be unreasonable to say that ayurvedic medicine has fewer side effects than conventional medicine, there still are some potential side effects. For instance, ashwagandha can be somewhat difficult for some people to digest. Also, in high doses it slows down breathing. I haven't had any problems with it though.

mastercowboy 09-11-2012 04:57 AM

I only remember an UP feeling the first day i took 2x250mg pills.Nothing else later,no matter the dose...Also had a tiny edema on forehead under skin this period,but maybe was due to something else like Reishi.I took these together that period.I quit them both after this though.The edema subsided after months.Almost has dissapeared now!

peter62 10-11-2012 03:09 AM

Treatment with herbs is very old way of medical treatment,Its better than allopathy I also use witer chary for removing stress elements its effective and have no side effects, My Grand pa also use it.

jonny neurotic 10-11-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter62 (Post 1060405442)
Treatment with herbs is very old way of medical treatment,Its better than allopathy I also use witer chary for removing stress elements its effective and have no side effects, My Grand pa also use it.

Whilst I agree that many herbs can be of enormous medicinal effect, I have to point out that "Allopathy" is a nonsense word cooked up by the same person who gave the world Homoeopathy. Mainstream medicine has always used plant extracts, either as medicines themselves or as precursors. Homoeopathy has never been shown to have any real effect beyond placebo.

Mainstream medicine FTW...

dismiss 10-11-2012 02:52 PM

Have been taking ashwagandha for well over a year now, probably two or longer after sitting down and giving it some thought.
It helped a little at 450 mgs... Helps a lot at 900 mgs. (Am apprx 140- 150 lbs 5'6")
I do stack with other supplements. Back when I started taking it, I took it by itself. Since then, I have added 5htp, & suntheanine...
More recently added picamilon... Plus other beneficial supplements like vit D and fish oil...

Bottom line, the ashwagandha makes a contribution that cannot be replaced. It has helped me to work in a high stress hospital atmosphere. I take it everyday.
Sometimes I'll take a booster dose (450 mgs)in the evenings if I'm worried about something.

MrQuiet76 10-11-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dismiss (Post 1060406830)
Have been taking ashwagandha for well over a year now, probably two or longer after sitting down and giving it some thought.
It helped a little at 450 mgs... Helps a lot at 900 mgs. (Am apprx 140- 150 lbs 5'6")
I do stack with other supplements. Back when I started taking it, I took it by itself. Since then, I have added 5htp, & suntheanine...
More recently added picamilon... Plus other beneficial supplements like vit D and fish oil...

Bottom line, the ashwagandha makes a contribution that cannot be replaced. It has helped me to work in a high stress hospital atmosphere. I take it everyday.
Sometimes I'll take a booster dose (450 mgs)in the evenings if I'm worried about something.

dismiss, just wanted to ask you... is this combination very effective for you? I've tried taking theanine and ashwaganda (450 mg) separately and didn't really notice much... I've taken 5-htp and noticed that it helps a lot... would u recommend this combo of all three? are there any side effects?

dismiss 10-11-2012 03:27 PM

I've been able to have a riot on the psychiatric unit I work on going on around me... I was very calm. & I handled it well.
I find it very effective.
But, a 25 year old male might need a higher dose. I take 400-500 mgs of theanine, & 100 mgs of 5htp, along with the 900 mgs of ashwagandha.
I have not noticed any side effects.

MrQuiet76 10-11-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dismiss (Post 1060406934)
I've been able to have a riot on the psychiatric unit I work on going on around me... I was very calm. & I handled it well.
I find it very effective.
But, a 25 year old male might need a higher dose. I take 400-500 mgs of theanine, & 100 mgs of 5htp, along with the 900 mgs of ashwagandha.
I have not noticed any side effects.

cool I'll have to try that out sometime. thanks!!

bleedlikeme 03-14-2013 02:39 PM

I'm currently taking some pills that has ashwagandha in it 2x daily and for the past days, I've been having weird/big dreams. It's been awhile since I was aware of my dreams. I wake up feeling tired some days.

CreamCheese 01-20-2014 04:53 PM

Hi I'm willing to try Ashwagandha. I'm actually South Asian, but surprised I've never heard of it and neither has my family. We do use a lot of spices/herbs in our cooking, so I do think that it would be helpful. I have tried it in Yogi tea and it was alright, nothing all that changing. But I was wondering how you guys take it and what form/brand?

I feel like there are a few things I need to work on my anxiety that I'm hoping it will help
1. anxiety-generalized and social
2. Bouts of irritation/depression
3. Focus

I have heard ashawaandha does these things at minimal side-effects. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

thehumble 01-31-2014 09:32 PM

tried it a while back felt just a slight more sociable but in an impulsive way like alcohol without the intoxication and drowsiness of course but I don't like that type of sociability. makes me say the wrong things at the wrong time!

Lacking Serotonin 02-24-2014 11:34 AM

I just bought some at GNC and I am kind of skeptical about it's potency. I am taking one dose (475 mg.) to see how it goes and then up to two. I started it yesterday and I think it helped a little.

Re-edit: I just returned my ashwagandha to GNC, because I didn't feel any effects and the man that runs the small town health food store said GNC is pretty bad as far as potentcy which I had already presumed. I've probably taken 1425 mg. within an hour or 2 hour period and cannot reflect on any calming or relaxing effects.

rikardo82 05-16-2014 01:50 AM

using ashwagandha 2 days not feeling any difference yet. Taking Himalaya brand 500mg 2x day. In fact last 2 nights sleep was very bad waking up after 5-6 hours sleeping and then difficulty sleep again... maybe it needs time to start work? Within what time other users notice effects?

SugarSpunSister 05-16-2014 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikardo82 (Post 1072553545)
using ashwagandha 2 days not feeling any difference yet. Taking Himalaya brand 500mg 2x day. In fact last 2 nights sleep was very bad waking up after 5-6 hours sleeping and then difficulty sleep again... maybe it needs time to start work? Within what time other users notice effects?

Hey Rikardo, if you don't mind, you could keep me updated on yer ashwaganda trial. I've been looking to try it myself, but have found that the extract of ashwaganda in most supplements isn't too high. So I wasn't sure if it was worth my time purchasing it. Would be good to hear your experience with it....:yes

rikardo82 05-16-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debs123 (Post 1072556129)
Hey Rikardo, if you don't mind, you could keep me updated on yer ashwaganda trial. I've been looking to try it myself, but have found that the extract of ashwaganda in most supplements isn't too high. So I wasn't sure if it was worth my time purchasing it. Would be good to hear your experience with it....:yes

I read others used 3X250MG capsules so 500mg should be fine. Or are there brands with higher doses?

here is what it says from examine.com
Although
optimal dosing strategies are not known, ashwagandha is usually taken with food in at least two divided
doses a day (so the aforementioned 500 mg of the root extract would be taken in two daily doses of 250
mg).

SugarSpunSister 05-16-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikardo82 (Post 1072557985)
I read others used 3X250MG capsules so 500mg should be fine. Or are there brands with higher doses?

here is what it says from examine.com
Although
optimal dosing strategies are not known, ashwagandha is usually taken with food in at least two divided
doses a day (so the aforementioned 500 mg of the root extract would be taken in two daily doses of 250
mg).

I don't think the 500mg on tubs has anything to do with the amount of extract in it? That I think, is the amount of tablets or size? Check that link. It seems to be there's only (4.5mg) extract in the 300mg. Am I confused? Whats the extract in yours?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...il.asp?pid=831

MrQuiet76 05-16-2014 07:32 PM

i've taken this stuff for well over a year now. it hasn't done a damn thing for SA but it does seem like its helped with depression and obsessive tendencies

SugarSpunSister 05-17-2014 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrQuiet76 (Post 1072568321)
i've taken this stuff for well over a year now. it hasn't done a damn thing for SA but it does seem like its helped with depression and obsessive tendencies

Which brand do you use? And how much of an extract of ashwaganda is in it? Perhaps the higher the extract, the more positive effects on anxiety?

ReadyToHeal 07-01-2014 03:22 PM

I just joined the site because I found it while searching for information on Ashwaghanda and followed this link to the study by NIH. I bought my first bottle today and will let you know how it is working for me! Thank you for sharing this link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narcissistic Pundit (Post 1831070)
This study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/ppmc/articles/PMC2729375/

Found:
The NC group referring to the group that was given withania somnifera (winter cherry). Sounds promising!

ReadyToHeal 07-01-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debs123 (Post 1072576809)
Which brand do you use? And how much of an extract of ashwaganda is in it? Perhaps the higher the extract, the more positive effects on anxiety?

I bought the Pure Encapsulations brand that was recommended by my physician and purchased at my neighborhood pharmacy. I am going to take 1,000mg two times daily for anxiety and depression. Just took my first two pills one hour ago and already feel more calm.

Iwannabemoresocial 08-08-2014 09:36 AM

Which brand is good in powder bulk?

SugarSpunSister 08-08-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadyToHeal (Post 1073567545)
I bought the Pure Encapsulations brand that was recommended by my physician and purchased at my neighborhood pharmacy. I am going to take 1,000mg two times daily for anxiety and depression. Just took my first two pills one hour ago and already feel more calm.

Hey, could you keep me updated on yer progress and how successful they are? Would be appreciated! Good luck! :)

llodell88 10-21-2014 09:43 PM

I guess you might have to take this at the right time of day for it to be beneficial. I was wondering if this supplement flattens the cortisol cycle (which is probably bad for me) or brings cortisol up/down to where its supposed to be...

http://perf.tamu.edu/musc402/files/2...PEAR-etude.jpg

the graph makes it seem like you can control cortisol just by how much/when you eat...

Mark38 12-23-2014 08:47 AM

Choosing best ashwagandha for anxiety

Hi,

I've been taking ashwagandha for years. Tried many different products and learned a lot about various forms in the process. I wanted to share some info to help clear up questions regarding brand and dosages.

For doses, in general, it's the amount of "withanolides" (the active ingredient) rather than the total amount of ashwagandha in terms of mg's. It's similar in this sense to alcohol. 2 shots of Vodka is more alcohol than one beer (even though the beer has more volume. So look at the % of withanolides and multiply by the number of mg's to get an idea.

But then it gets a bit more complex. There are different qualities of withanolides (are they from the root, which is better), or are they from the root and leaves (which contains withaferin A, a cytotoxic chemical). Was the withanolide content measured by HPLC? This is the proper way to measure.

The quality of ashwagandha varies a lot. And different species seem to have different effects. It's not simply the amount of withanolides. It's always best to look at the scientific research when determining which kind to get.

The 2 most impressive forms of ashwagandha are new and exciting. There is KSM-66 and Sensoril. These are both pure ashwagandha extracts and both have their own advantages. KSM-66 has a great study showing how it can reduce anxiety. This is a good overview of KSM-66. It is also certified organic, non-GMO, and has 5% withanolides.

Sensoril has 8% withanolides. It is an extract of the root and the leaves. It has it's own list of studies as well. Anecdotal reports I've heard say that KSM-66 is more calming in general, and Sensoril is more energy boosting. Here is some info about Sensoril. That second link is from their own site, but you can click around and see the facts and clinical evidence.

Interested to hear if anyone here has tried either form and what your experiences have been.

No Limit 12-23-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark38 (Post 1077143721)
Hi,

I've been taking ashwagandha for years. Tried many different products and learned a lot about various forms in the process. I wanted to share some info to help clear up questions regarding brand and dosages.

For doses, in general, it's the amount of "withanolides" (the active ingredient) rather than the total amount of ashwagandha in terms of mg's. It's similar in this sense to alcohol. 2 shots of Vodka is more alcohol than one beer (even though the beer has more volume. So look at the % of withanolides and multiply by the number of mg's to get an idea.

But then it gets a bit more complex. There are different qualities of withanolides (are they from the root, which is better), or are they from the root and leaves (which contains withaferin A, a cytotoxic chemical). Was the withanolide content measured by HPLC? This is the proper way to measure.

The quality of ashwagandha varies a lot. And different species seem to have different effects. It's not simply the amount of withanolides. It's always best to look at the scientific research when determining which kind to get.

The 2 most impressive forms of ashwagandha are new and exciting. There is KSM-66 and Sensoril. These are both pure ashwagandha extracts and both have their own advantages. KSM-66 has a great study showing how it can reduce anxiety. This is a good overview of KSM-66. It is also certified organic, non-GMO, and has 5% withanolides.

Sensoril has 8% withanolides. It is an extract of the root and the leaves. It has it's own list of studies as well. Anecdotal reports I've heard say that KSM-66 is more calming in general, and Sensoril is more energy boosting. Here is some info about Sensoril. That second link is from their own site, but you can click around and see the facts and clinical evidence.

Interested to hear if anyone here has tried either form and what your experiences have been.

I wish this was posted last weekend before I bought some from Amazon. I'm trying to take this along with magnesium to hopefully replace the klonopin I'm taking to manage my anxiety.

Mark38 12-23-2014 11:31 PM

@No Limit ,

Sorry about that. At least you only got one bottle I guess. By the way, interested in hearing how it works for you with the magnesium. Which brand did you get by the way? At least now you've got some more options for next order.

No Limit 12-24-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark38 (Post 1077157985)
@No Limit,

Sorry about that. At least you only got one bottle I guess. By the way, interested in hearing how it works for you with the magnesium. Which brand did you get by the way? At least now you've got some more options for next order.

No worries Mark.

I bought a bottle of Planetary Herbals Full Spectrum Ashwagandha 570 mg Tablets' 120 tablets - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and Magnesium Taurate 125 mg 60 Capsules - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to do a little bit more research on the forums about magnesium since there's several types, but it seems like the Taurate version is best for anxiety.

I've been slowly tapering off of klonopin now while taking both supplements. I feel more energetic and a little bit more calm. And so far no anxiety or jitters/nervousness yet that I usually happens to me when I start tapering off a benzo like Klonopin. I hope this works in the long run as I'm tired of taking benzos for what seems like forever and it seems to have lost it's effectiveness unless I up the dosage.

Zack 12-25-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helena_SAS (Post 1275404)
Winter cherry (withania somnifera), also known as ashwagandha or Indian ginseng, has traditionally been used as part of a holistic system of medicine in India known as ayurveda. The herbal supplement is produced from the root of the plant and is known as an adaptogen, meaning that it increases resistance to physical and emotional stress. In terms of emotional health, winter cherry has been used to promote emotional balance in cases of mild anxiety, depression and mental or physical fatigue. The supplement is also known to have many preventative qualities, such as anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withania_somnifera

I'll get my coat...

Triumph 01-17-2015 10:46 PM

I just picked up a bottle of Ashwagandha with 600 mg 2.5% withanolides and 5-htp. Also picking up magnesium tomorrow, and ordered some L-Thanine from Amazon. I don't like to start so many things at once but I really need this **** taken care of so I can get back to enjoying my life again. Hope people keep this thread alive and post results...I plan to. Thanks for sharing thus far, I really hope this will help.