Valerian (valeriana officinalis) - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 06:39 PM
.one sec

My Mood: Inspired
I've tried pretty much all the supplements for insomnia due to anxiety and valerian is the only one I find helps a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 07:10 PM
SAS Member

I trying valerian right now. At the moment it doesn't do anything for me
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:16 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
I haven't tried it, but I friend of mine has (for generalised anxiety, not social) and she finds it to be really helpful on a take as you need basis, not as a regular thing. I'm thinking of trying it in the future when I'm not on any meds.

post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:38 PM
trying to stay positive

ok for restlessness

I actually like the taste of Valerian root lol I dont mind the taste of alot of plants/herbs
post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 06:22 AM
SAS Member

Have not ever had the root of valerian which may be stronger, the tablet form of valerian never stopped insomnia for me but did make me more generally relaxed. It was quite subtle, but still present. It has no strong effects from my experience, but give it a shot if you have trouble relaxing, it may help even if not enough to conceal the problem
post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 01:33 PM
SAS Member

My friend and I both used this around the same time and noticed you build up a tolerance rather quickly and it becomes useless. I would highly recommend Passion Flower extract, in droplet form, you drop it under your tongue and it immediately will relax you, but like anything good you will develop a tolerance but this stuff actually tastes good, it tastes like syrup and raisins kinda.
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroticJester94 View Post
Have not ever had the root of valerian which may be stronger, the tablet form of valerian never stopped insomnia for me but did make me more generally relaxed. It was quite subtle, but still present. It has no strong effects from my experience, but give it a shot if you have trouble relaxing, it may help even if not enough to conceal the problem
It seems to be fairly inconsistent. Sometimes I take it and I really feel it and other times it's just a very mild relaxing sensation. It is long lasting though.

/WYSD
post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 06:51 AM
Master of my domain

3 pills down (so 1,2g of herb) and there is an interesting feeling present.
Can't really describe it. A bit of calmness and a little happier mood. Not very strong but still seems promising. Might take a few more pills and report back later on.

Make it so number one. Engage!

post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 06:29 AM
SAS Member

Hello,

Actually joined this forum to discuss this specific herb and effect. I suffer from quite specific (kind of performance) anxiety, and in particular for a job interview I have soon.

Today tried taking a few Kalms (main ingrediant valerian) - maybe just the placebo, not sure, but I was feeling really anxious (got a confirmed time for interview today that set me off), but after taking a couple of these valerian based things I do actually feel a lot better. Feeling kind of vaguely happy (bit like a small stoned feeling) almost want to grin a little....

Just hope my experience might add to the previous views for this one - I've just ordered some plain valerian tabs too, will try those out as well.
post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 07:40 PM
SAS Member

I tried Valerian for sleep but it didn't agree with me at all. Had strange nightmares and it felt like my mind was racing but my body was all relaxed. Just floating between awake and asleep. Strange feeling.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 01:42 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Pensive
Having tried all sorts of health supplements from multi-vitamins and minerals, the ones that seem to help if taken occasionally when needed are Quiet Life and Kalms. Taken a week or two before a dental procedure for example helps diminish anxiety for me. Knowing that we are all different these supplements may not work out for everyone, but they are fairly cheap and you can get 100 or 200 tablets for your money. Hope this info will be of help out there.
post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:46 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

I take a valerian capsule every night before bed and it helps me relax so I can sleep. I started off with 1/2 capsule for a few days so I wouldn't have a bad reaction. I told my doctor that I was taking it and he approved. He also takes it.
post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Spectacular Member

Tried it again using gel caps at 400mg a night, and it worked really well for about a month, until I became completely tolerant to it. I would think it would be much too sedating to use for just anxiety, but I guess you could play with the dose. It temporarily leaves your tongue kinda numb, if you let to sit in your mouth for any longer than a couple seconds before swallowing.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page