Not sure

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by QuackQuack
Social Anxiety Background
Have been having more and more anxiety over years

Other Treatments
Haven't tried anything else.

Treatment Experience
I've taken St. John's Wort off and on for years, in an attempt to treat depression and social anxiety, and haven't felt any significant difference. In fact, when I was first taking it, I ran out and went without it for a month, and during that time I had some very good social experiences. There might be an improvement in mood/anxiety, but if there is, it's subtle enough to not notice.​

#3 ·

Posted by solitarian
I have experienced social anxiety my entire life along with chronic depression.

Other Treatments
I have not tried other drug/herb treatments outside of psychotherapy.

Treatment Experience
I have found St. John's Wort to be effective in treating depression associated with my anxiety. It does a great job of "lifting" the burden of depression and elevating my mood. It works mildly, so it probably wouldn't work very well for severe depression. For the chronic mild depression I experience, it works well. I have not noticed any lessening effect on my anxiety, however.​

#4 ·
st.johns wort

Posted by proximo20
Treatment Experience
I was taking it before sleep usually. It was good and during the day I had more self-respect. This can be placebo effect I don't know. The thing with herbal supplement is that you should take it ar least 4 weeks to see its effects.

And St.johns wort has some interactions with other drugs. So read about it before taking.

Now I am trying to find out what is causing the SA like hypoglycemia, candida, MVP. I believe that this foggy mind and not finding anything to talk about has some connections with our body.

#89 ·

Posted by proximo20
Treatment Experience
I was taking it before sleep usually. It was good and during the day I had more self-respect. This can be placebo effect I don't know. The thing with herbal supplement is that you should take it ar least 4 weeks to see its effects.

And St.johns wort has some interactions with other drugs. So read about it before taking.

Now I am trying to find out what is causing the SA like hypoglycemia, candida, MVP. I believe that this foggy mind and not finding anything to talk about has some connections with our body.
Any closer to finding a connection with "your body" and the SA? I am intersted, cause I have these same beliefs.

#5 ·
My try

Posted by Dolphinsaresmiling
I've had generalized anxiety for a few years. I feel anxious, restless, nervous pretty much daily. When talking to people, even the ones I know my face blushes, heart races, hands shake, I can't think clearly; I only concentrate on myself and my behaviour. These physical symptoms are there to stay it seems.

Other Treatments
Was prescribed Xanax and Lyrica, but then too scared to take them after finding out what they can do to you.

Treatment Experience
Used St John's Wort 400mg for about over a month. Nothing good I could say about it.​

#6 ·
St john's wort

Posted by Keith
Treatment Experience
It made me really irritable. But im bipolar so that may not be the case for people with unipoalr depression. It did something though because other antidepressants have also made me irritable. Maybe its worth a shot before you try an ssri. They perscribe it for depression alot in Germany. I'm not sure if its supposed to help anxiety, didnt help mine at all.

#8 ·
I've been taking these for a month now.

They're the only thing I'm taking (i.e no other supplements or Meds). So it'll be interesting to see if I notice a difference.

It's too early to tell at this stage I'm sure.

PS - they're illegal in Ireland. So you just order them online. God I feel like such a rebel :b

#9 ·
Just today is the end of a 6 week spell on KIRA st. johns which I bought of iherb. I've bought two more boxes, but also two new chapter mood take care which is stronger supposdly.

for first 4 weeks I took 3 a day, and last while been taking 4 a day. zero side effects and it has definitely taken the edge of my depression, I'd say from about week3. While I'm not happy per se, I haven't felt really down or depressed in a couple of weeks. Its hard to tell when it started working as its kind of subtle and as I say it doesn't make you happy or eurphoric so its not that obvious, but it balances my mood and creates an absense of depression for me anyhow, and that has allowed me to go out a bit more which helps too. It wont work for everyone but you do need to give it a numebr of weeks but its worth a shot.

#12 ·
A few summers ago before I was ever given prescription ADs I took St. John's Wort every day. Don't remember the dosage. I had just broken up with my girlfriend at the start of the summer and I was worried about getting depressed. I think it helped me, but looking back 3-4 years later, it did seem to help with anxiety and depression, but possibly trigger mania? Don't know

#14 ·
I took st johns wart and it seemed to help me a bit, but it kinda messed with my stomach. I tried taking it with food but it still just made my stomach feel a little off - like gurgling constantly and a little bit of nausea. I stopped taking it eventually. Anyone have that problem too?

#19 ·
Yes, I found this too. It was a little uncomfortable for the first few days with stomach aches (nothing too bad, but enough to feel it) but after that it wasn't so bad. I think it caused drowsiness and I would wake up with a dry mouth.

I took it for about 5 weeks then university started to get busy and I finished my bottle and never bought any more :| I'm starting it again now...I think it was starting to help me...

#16 ·
I drink a cup of St. John's Wort tea every evening. It always elevates my mood and relaxes me. Personally, I love the taste of the tea which may be why it elevates my mood. I don't know about its effects on SA, but it really knocks out mild depression for me.

I should note that I am more strongly effected by supplements than most people. For example I take melatonin for sleep, but only require about a quarter of a dose.

#23 ·
I started taking this two days ago. I suffer from extreme anxiety, depression, social phobia, compulsive thoughts, and sometimes suicidal thoughts. I do believe I have emotional regulation disorder(BPD). Anyway, placebos don't work on me. It's impossible because of my disorder. The st johns wort I'm taking is from the brand Kira and I'm taking 3 pills a day. I think the brand is very important on whether it works or not. Well, so far, this is the first time in my life that I feel normal. I'm not having ups and downs. I'm not crying uncontrollably. My anxiety is almost non existent and I am socializing with people with ease. I can also fall asleep very easily. I don't feel any emotional pain. The only downside is that it's make me a little tired but I feel calm and relax. So, there you go. I think this pill might have just saved my life.

#25 ·
It helped me

St. Johns wort helped me with endurance when I had this grueling blue collar warehouse job..just made me alittle more resilient. But I need more than 'just alittle more resiliant' now..this anxiety sucks. But sexual side effects of SRII's suck too..for those of you who can't afford drugs, (even St. Johns wort isn't free) do use it..it will elevate your overall disposition.

#154 ·
sexual side effects

St. Johns wort helped me with endurance when I had this grueling blue collar warehouse job..just made me alittle more resilient. But I need more than 'just alittle more resiliant' now..this anxiety sucks. But sexual side effects of SRII's suck too..for those of you who can't afford drugs, (even St. Johns wort isn't free) do use it..it will elevate your overall disposition.
Thanks for letting us know! I suffer from anxiety and it has been sexually debilitating. When you say that St. Johns Wort elevated your overall disposition, did it help alleviate the toll that stress was taking on your sex drive? Were you able to perform? That's one of my hoped-for objectives with starting to take the herb today.

#30 ·
Like 13 years ago or something, I was taking these daily, took 2+ weeks to start working, but actually did a better job than PAXIL!!

I liked it, dunno why I quit. Won't take it now, afraid it'll interact with other drugs.

It does work if you get the good kind.