St. John's Wort - Page 5 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #81 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 01:23 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

My psychologist says its bad for you b/c no one knows exactly what's in it. He may be lying but I doubt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 03:01 PM
SAS Member

I found it took the edge off, like nicotine patches for a smoker. but you still need to work at it though after a few weeks I think I got used to it and nothing much changed (or it could have been a placebo effect).
post #83 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Rumination extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidd View Post
I found it took the edge off, like nicotine patches for a smoker. but you still need to work at it though after a few weeks I think I got used to it and nothing much changed (or it could have been a placebo effect).
Funny you should mention patches, I just gave up smoking cold-turkey and haven't had one for a week today. As far as SJW is concerned, how long did you take them for? I've read in some places you need to give it from 3 to 6 weeks to feel the full effects of it.

Apparently it varies completely from person to person but I've read more good than bad so fingers crossed..

post #84 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 04:35 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
I've been reading up on St. John's Wort recently and I'm hoping someone could tell me if they've tried it and was it a viable option for depression (I've had it for about three years now). I tried antidepressants but came off them cold turkey after 4 or 5 months because I'd rather feel down than absolutely nothing.

So, St. John's Wort, what's the verdict?
I've been taking St John's Wort for about 5 years. For me, it started working the day I started taking it. I think it has something to do with my lack of serotonin or something. Anyway, it probably works differently for different people.
post #85 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 07:52 PM
SAS Member

Years ago, I took 900 mg of Solgar SJW and did really well. It seemed to help a lot. More recently, I'm having trouble getting the same effect from Jamieson SJW, although that may just be because my metabolism has changed. I mean, it helped me in 1998, but is not helping me so much now. I just pushed the dosage of Jamieson SJW up to 1600 mg, and am waiting to see how that affects me. I'm been inching up in tiny increments and have already been on 1500 mg for awhile.
post #86 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:46 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierpinski View Post
Years ago, I took 900 mg of Solgar SJW and did really well. It seemed to help a lot. More recently, I'm having trouble getting the same effect from Jamieson SJW, although that may just be because my metabolism has changed. I mean, it helped me in 1998, but is not helping me so much now. I just pushed the dosage of Jamieson SJW up to 1600 mg, and am waiting to see how that affects me. I'm been inching up in tiny increments and have already been on 1500 mg for awhile.

Maybe you should stick to Solgar? I have tried SpringValley, Swanson's and Body Naturalle and they work okay for me. For me after 5 years, the effects are still as good.
post #87 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Querdenker

My Mood: Confused
Is there a problem with taking St John's Wort at the same time as blood-thinners? Research on the Internet seemed to show that Lexapro should not be taken at the same time, so I was wondering whether the same applied to St John's Wort. It could be used as a substitute for Lexapro.

cheer up - God is with you
post #88 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:24 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoddesdon View Post
Is there a problem with taking St John's Wort at the same time as blood-thinners? Research on the Internet seemed to show that Lexapro should not be taken at the same time, so I was wondering whether the same applied to St John's Wort. It could be used as a substitute for Lexapro.
I think it is better to consult a doctor to avoid any future complications. It is your health and well-being at stake
post #89 of 231 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:20 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by proximo20
Treatment Experience
I was taking it before sleep usually. It was good and during the day I had more self-respect. This can be placebo effect I don't know. The thing with herbal supplement is that you should take it ar least 4 weeks to see its effects.

And St.johns wort has some interactions with other drugs. So read about it before taking.

Now I am trying to find out what is causing the SA like hypoglycemia, candida, MVP. I believe that this foggy mind and not finding anything to talk about has some connections with our body.
Any closer to finding a connection with "your body" and the SA? I am intersted, cause I have these same beliefs.
post #90 of 231 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Silverwolf94

Absolutely no effect on me whatsoever
post #91 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 PM
SAS Member

Hello, i'm taking only 5mg of Paxil because i would like to try St. John's Wort.
Anyone know how to correctly switch from Paxil to St. John's Wort (initially 150/300mg then.. 600/900 mg if needed) ?
Thanks
post #92 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:17 PM
SAS Member

I've done a fair bit of research on the supplement. It apparently works for a minority of people, compared to a placebo, and is very comparable to stronger anti-depressant drugs. I took it for 2 months and found it not to make a difference, but I know in light of research that it doesn't meant that it's a useless supplement.
post #93 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 03:05 PM
SAS Member

I've been taking this for about four months now. It has helped me immensely. My moods are less chaotic, and I feel more positive and less stressed. I've recently started combining it with DL-phenylanaline (DLPA), which is an amino acid that is supposed to induce endorphin, serotonin, and dopamine production and it's cut my anxiety down quite a bit.

It's important to get a good brand, and to get the dosage right. I started with 300mg, three times a day for the first month. After that, however, I've been able to cut it down to one or two 300mg capsules a day, depending on how I'm feeling. I have to avoid taking it with meals because it seems to dilute the effects for some reason,but taking it with the DLPA seems to be fine. It took about three weeks to really start working for me, but once it did, I could feel the results much more immediately after taking each capsule. I experienced some sun sensitivity in the first three months, but that's actually subsided for some reason and I don't have that problem anymore.
post #94 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 04:57 PM
SAS Member

works well for me.. been taking x3 per day (990mg hypericin/tab) for about a month... noticed serotonin effects from the very first dose.. tingling in feet etc.. anti depressant effects kicked in properly after about 2 weeks.. stress and anxiety is alot more manageable than before hand..
post #95 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 AM
SAS Member

Exclamation

Peanut allergy

The package says not to take it if you have a peanut allergy even though there aren't any in the ingredients, so I'm guessing it was made in a nut environment - has anyone experienced any allergic reactions?
post #96 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 AM
SAS Member

I took it for 6 months and it worked for me. I didn't have any side effects. But now I don't take it anymore because it interferes with another medication I'm on. I switched to Omega oils and a B-complex; and found those to be even more effective for my mood.

Any Germans out there correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that a lot of German doctors will prescribe SJW over Prozac. I think like any other supplement, you need ask the pharmacist if there are any contra-indications, they would know best since drugs are their job.
post #97 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 12:27 PM
ISFJ

Language: English
My Mood: Fine
I used St. Johns Wort while I was coming off of Effexor XR. It helped lessen the depression, but not by much. I don't take it anymore.

I found HTP-5 was more effective.

“You Learn More From Failure Than From Success. Don’t Let It Stop You. Failure Builds Character.” – Unknown
post #98 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:34 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simian4455 View Post
Maybe you should stick to Solgar? I have tried SpringValley, Swanson's and Body Naturalle and they work okay for me. For me after 5 years, the effects are still as good.
I switched to Kira which is supposed to be as authentic as authentic gets. I'm up to 1500 mg now, and not noticing much. Maybe my body has changed somehow. Or maybe I need to give it more time. I only just went from 1200 to 1500 two days ago. But I've been on 1200 a long time.
post #99 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 03:11 AM
SAS Member

I tried this for a couple weeks and it didn't help, if anything it made it worse.
post #100 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 05:12 AM
SAS Member

I think the Kira might be helping. Kira is one of the brands used in studies showing efficacy, and 1500 is a pretty high dosage. I think it is gradually kicking in.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page