St. John's Wort - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 231 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 PM
The Power Of Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
it's probably just a placebo effect. i took st johns wort as lot when i was young (8 to 13) and it didn't do anything. i've taken it again a few years ago and it didn't change anything either.
Only a couple brands of St johns worth are potent antidepressants (kira, perica and a couple others).

Disclaimer: I am not a professional, all my advice is based on my own research and experiences.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM
SAS Member

I don't know if it's placebo or not. There have been some studies done that give evidence that St. Johns Wort actually does work. I think it's one of those things that just effects different people in different ways.

What it has done for me is to give me the ability to feel again (or so it seems, anyway). For a long time I felt like everything was devoid of emotion except for anxiety and sadness, and there was no motivation to do anything. St. Johns Wort almost feels like an emotional lubricant, and gets the wheels turning again.

That having been said, it hasn't done a whole lot for my anxiety.
post #43 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Hello there

How long have you been taking it?

post #44 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 04:10 PM
SAS Member

I didn't notice much when I took st johns wort. But I don't think I had depression, just severe anxiety at the time. Chamomile tea worked very good for general anxiety. It probably won't stop panic attacks but I would count on it to put to rest the after effects where your heart is still racing etc. Also, Sleepy Time tea has chamomile and other good calming herbs. I can't remember the name but I use the name brand found at most health food stores.

"Toto IV"
It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had............
Sometimes when the world goes crazy all you can do is laugh. It hides the tears.
post #45 of 231 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM
SAS Member

As others have stated, St. John's Wart didn't mix too well with my bipolar disorder. Seemed to help with the depression though. Didn't notice any effects on anxiety.
post #46 of 231 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 PM
SAS Member

I have been taking St. John's Wort for 3 weeks now, more with my depression in mind than anxiety. I haven't noticed anything except that I'm more tired and fuzzy brained (though I tend to be a tired sort of person so I can't put this down to St. John's Wort for sure).
I thought I might as well give it a shot but I'm really pretty skeptical about all pills, herbal or otherwise as I think (for myself anyway) if I'm serious about getting better, first and foremost I need to change the way I live my life...
Still, I don't think it can hurt and it might make a difference for others and might still for me...
post #47 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 PM
SAS Member

did nothing positive for me. no effect really.
post #48 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Neither Enemy Nor Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post
I wonder if I can make a tea out of the St. Johns Wart.
Has anyone tried?
break the pill & pour it in tea. Its recommened
post #49 of 231 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:12 AM
SAS Member

St. John's Wort worked in the positive for a few days but then it started making me feel very panicky. Strong feelings of despair and stuff like that. I stopped for a day and was fine again. Gave it a week, tried again. Same result. It's a shame because it seems to work well for many people but I'm a bit scared to try it again.
post #50 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM
happy i dodged a bullet

My Mood: Cheerful
I was thinking of taking st. Johns wort.. but from what you guys have experienced it seems it doesn't really do anything.. it seems like if you want results you have to take medication : / I mean i don't mind meds, bc I really just want to be calmer in social situations and "open-up" even if I risk being extremely sleepy. I rather live a good life, calm and sedated than be a recluse living in fear : /
post #51 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:43 AM
SAS Member

St John's Wort from my experience was very effective, however, you have to get the brand right or it won't be. I bought a cheap brand 120 for 6 ($10) and that just gave me a slight euphoric haze. Then I bought Kira brand, (its the one used in studies) and it was very effective within a few days, but there was anxiety to begin with that seemed to level out after a while.

Google 'Kelly SJW' and go on that website for lots of info about it
post #52 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:54 AM
SAS Member

Social Anxiety Background
PTSD, severe anxiety, 7 years of depresion

Other Treatments
Have tried prozac and xanax and some others.

Treatment Experience
i read up on it i was pretty desperate to find something, my social anxiety was so strong i was unable to see a doctor or psychologist. I bought it at GNC hearing it was a suitable brand. I was expecting it to take 4 weeks to work. I immediately disregarded instructions and downed 900mg on a full stomach. I was almost instantly cured, well i wont say im fully cured how can i be sure? But i have no side effects, well funny people said it would make me tired but it had the opposite effect on me it gave me energy. i think it gave me energy because before my mind was racing all the time now my mind is calm. Now i can focus on tasks and work and dont get sidetracked into a land of hypothetical questions and analyzation at every turn. Although i cant attribute 100% of my cure to it My little pony friendship is magic definitely helped as well.

post #53 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 PM
SAS Member

i tried two brands...nature's plus and kira. kira worked but it gave me stomachaches. nature's plus hasn't given me stomachaches, so i think i'm gonna stick with it.

neither of them had a very large effect, but they both took down my depression a notch, maybe from desperate to moderately depressed or something like that.
post #54 of 231 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:14 PM
SAS Member

I took it for a month and i guess it gave me some pretty good placebo. That all kicked out when i got the flu

I've taken doses in excess of 40 pills to no avail. Not even to any effect apart from being able to feel my heartbeat like a drum when sitting down. That being said some people get MDMA like experiences from mega doses of SJW.
post #55 of 231 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Sociality is Fatality

I've been taking the Worts for over a year now and feel no different. Any differences were made by myself and influenced by my friends. The aforementioned help from friends may have decreased my thoughts of suicide. I'm off the Worts currently and really can't tell a difference. It is truly a waste of your money.

I've tried the Finest Natural brand and some other Walgreens brand.

Now, on the other hand. Super B vitamin supplements have done wonders, they indeed do increase some of my energy and help to keep me on task with my work at hand.

@Porterdog That's incredibly stupid, obvious in hindsight I guess. 40 pills...
post #56 of 231 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 02:34 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterdog View Post
I took it for a month and i guess it gave me some pretty good placebo. That all kicked out when i got the flu

I've taken doses in excess of 40 pills to no avail. Not even to any effect apart from being able to feel my heartbeat like a drum when sitting down. That being said some people get MDMA like experiences from mega doses of SJW.
For the record, nobody else should try this. You could get serotonin syndrome and die.
post #57 of 231 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 02:44 AM
You're strange- Like me.

I've been taking it for over a week now, and honestly, its made a change, however the change isn't good nor bad. It exchanged my mood, from a sad depressed, to a neutral depressed. It makes me sleep so much, I dream just about every time, its getting hard to deal with. Either way, this neutral depression sucks way more. At least when I was sad I felt human, now I feel like a walking ghost.

Or at least like those neutral aliens from futurama..
"If I die....
tell my wife I said.... 'hello'"

lol.

In my honest opinion don't take it, find a good med that makes you feel lighter on your feet. And I never felt any euphoric haze, that's just bs its too weak to give that. I took higher doses 5 a day.
post #58 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:38 PM
SAS Member

Been taking this for about 3 days now for treatment of anxiety/mild depression but at 3x the recommended dose (taking 3 capsules 3x a day). Didn't really notice any effects (positive or negative) while one it. Maybe a slight decrease in anxiety but nothing too substantial. I didn't take my dose this afternoon though, and about 8-9 hours after my morning dose I felt terribly depressed, far worse than I usually do (I often swing between "normal" and "pretty damn depressed" once or twice a day and today was particularly brutal).

I'm going to increase my dose to 12 per day for a week, starting tomorrow, and see how that goes. Tomorrow is also my first day of school, so I guess I'll see how this plays out in my college classes.
post #59 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 PM
SAS Member

I'm going to increase my dose to 12 per day for a week, starting tomorrow, and see how that goes. Tomorrow is also my first day of school, so I guess I'll see how this plays out in my college classes

I have been taking sjw for about a week now, only 3 pills a day. I have noticed a change at first but the last couple of days I feel like crap. I take all 3 at night because it makes me sleepy. Do you get sleepy at all??

THERE ARE THREE TYPES OF PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD: THOSE WHO CAN COUNT AND THOSE WHO CAN'T.
post #60 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 PM
SAS Member

A quick update..

Ya I do. Took 3 last night around 11:00. 5 this morning when I woke up at 9. Felt fine for most of the day and honestly didn't notice any effects at all. Didn't help with anxiety at all. Definitely didn't help with ADHD. I didn't feel "depressed" at all while at school, but that isn't really too uncommon.

HOWEVER.

7 hours after taking these this morning, I feel like ****. I'm in a terrible mood. I feel like I snap at anybody who even tries to talk to me. I feel depressed, but not in a sad way. I just don't give a **** about anything/anyone and feel like I swing from rather "emotionless" to just pissed off at people for no reason pretty easily. And yes, I feel exhausted/sleepy.

I'll also add that there is no reason I should feel this bad. I've eaten two good meals so far today. My classes all went well. The professors I've met so far seem really nice. I ran into a bunch of friends who seemed happy to talk to me. Got invited to a dinner party tonight (hopefully I'll feel up to it) and some event for a former boss of mine who happens to be a really nice guy. A few other people wanting to set up lunch plans throughout the week texted me. And a high school friend asked if she could stop by and say hello before class. Plus I got a solid 9 hours of sleep last night.

Overall, a ****ing great day by anybody's standards, yet I'm still pissed off at everybody and everything around me and just want to sleep.

My recommendation is to stay FAR FAR AWAY from this "supplement". Unless taking the stuff at the recommended dosages seems to have an amazing effect on you, don't bother with the stuff. Increasing the dosages still yields no benefit as far as I can tell and seems to lead to an agonizing "crash" type period.

I'm tossing this stuff in the trash tomorrow morning.

Edit: Oh, and my eyes feel all dried out and watery. Weird.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page