St. John's Wort - Page 10 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #181 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 01:26 AM
AtheistInSearchOfPawgs

St Johns wort doesn't effin work

It never stopped me from killing myself....

Being a weak lame did, but that stuff surely didn't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 06:05 AM
SAS Member

St Johns Wort, doesn't work for everybody. For me it did. Within a week of taking 1 tablet per day, I saw results. I was happier and less stressed, also the daily negative thoughts almost disappeared. Don't buy it in the high shop retail, try and buy it online, it's much cheaper. On the plus side, as these are a natural herb, you don't get any coming off effects. I'd recommend this to only those who it works with.
post #183 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Fighting demons!

St. John's wort is the most retarded name for a herb I've ever heard and worst of all it doesn't even work.

post #184 of 231 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Nyctophiliac

My Mood: Inspired
I remember trying that about two years ago and feeling absolutely no change whatsoever. St. John's Wort is pretty much a joke.
post #185 of 231 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 07:09 PM
SAS Member

I agree. St Johns Wort did absolutely nothing for me. I drank the tea and didn't do anything
post #186 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 08:08 AM
SAS Member

Wink

St. Johns Wort

http://northnatural.com/
post #187 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 12:37 PM
SAS Member

I don't think the depression and anxiety I experience is ever bad enough for me to take prescribed medicines, so I though St John's wort was exactly what I needed. The leaflet advises not to take SJW if you have a clinical, diagnosed depressive illness.

There's been a few occasions where I have taken SJW when I feel really anxious or so low in mood that I feel like I can't get through the day with a huge burden on me. I am well aware of placebo effects, but I have to say that I have found a positive effect with SJM from the first tablet. Within a few hours, I feel the burden lift and I feel full of vigour. I don't think this is a placebo effect as I also recognise a slightly unwanted effect too - a dry mouth and a slight headache.

I have been feeling really anxious and low for about five weeks and then remembered SJW. I bought some today in Tesco and thought that it was too cheap to work this time. A couple of hours later, I felt transformed. I had been lying on my bed, not knowing how I could go to work in the morning. I felt so detached and brain dead. I'm now feeling absolutely great with a real buzz. I really don't thin it is placebo. It's a huge relief from a month of heavy stress and anxiety.

So, it might not work if you are seriously, clinically depressed, but if you are like me, I would say it is well worth a try.
post #188 of 231 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:02 AM
SAS Member

About 4 weeks in and still feeling pretty miserable. The truth is I knew the next couple or few months ahead would be tough as there is a lot going on in my life right now then previously. I have been expecting things to get harder over this period in my life, so I figured st johns might help me get through this or take a bit of the edge off, but I don't feel it has. I still get these massive waves of depressed feelings and the accompanying headaches. My libido is down and my interest in exercising is at its all time lowest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resrat View Post
So, it might not work if you are seriously, clinically depressed, but if you are like me, I would say it is well worth a try.
Damn, god forbid its clinical.
post #189 of 231 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Permanently Banned

I bought this crap before, I used it 2 times, didn't do anything, it's a gimmick
post #190 of 231 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 06:15 PM
SAS Member

scientists have made a public statement that st. john's wort has zero (or possibly very little) potential when it comes to using it to treat anxiety. as for depression, st. john's wort may have some efficiency for some people. it might be one of those herbs that are better off when used in combination with another herb (such as rhodiola rosea).
post #191 of 231 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Querdenker

My Mood: Confused
Different things work for different people, so that may explain the difference in opinion

cheer up - God is with you
post #192 of 231 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 11:19 AM
SAS Member

Took St.Johns for a bout 2 weeks. I felt so numb, down and absolutely depressed from it. It made me alot worse. I threw away the pills and never again for me. I do not believe St.Johns works well against anxiety at all. For mild/moderate depression it might be worth a try for some.
post #193 of 231 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 10:49 AM
SAS Member

st johns wort

The reason SJW is not working for some of you is because studies show that it is ineffective for moderate to severe depression however very effective at treating mild depression. From my personal experience from coming out of a case of severe depression induced by chemotherapy is that is extremely hard to find relief even with antidepressants, exercise, diet.etc. What has helped more than anything is a book that I was convinced wouldn't work for my "special" kind of depression. The book is called "feeling good" by David Burns. I'm only 1/4 through and doing the exercises and I've noticed a huge difference in my mood and social anxiety. It is also a huge self esteem booster. Now that my depression is in the reccomended mild range I will try the SJW and report back in a few weeks.
post #194 of 231 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 10:04 PM
SAS Member

I noticed that when I stopped taking fish oil with St. Johns wort that my mood seemed to worsen.

I do feel like a loner but I think it's because I look at things differently than other people. Ricky Williams
post #195 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 01:11 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiman View Post

Anxiety wasn't really any worse today, but I did find myself actually giving a **** about what I said to people and how I said it (going over my words in my head whenever I thought I acted akwardly/misspoke). I didn't do this at all yesterday, which I find strange.
I'm glad someone else could articulate this same feeling I'm getting from this stuff which is making me want to stop it. It really sucks too because it has alot of positive effects on my depression and anxiety, music sounds better, sex drive is up etc. with basically no noticeable side effects besides that I just feel totally careless socially; disconnected from my emotions almost. This feeling is worse so than any SSRI's I've been on I think except maybe prozac. If it weren't for this social anhedonia/disconnected feeling it would be awesome.

-"To have a right estimate of a man's character, we must see him in misfortune."
post #196 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Permanently Banned

SIN-juns WURT.
post #197 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 02:03 PM
SAS Member

Thinking of getting this at my local CVS tonight. Will let you guys know if I notice any results
post #198 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:24 PM
SAS Member

I have used St. John's Wort successfully for over 7 years to keep my depression in check. Before that, I was on Prozac for 15 years. I weaned myself off the Prozac and replaced it with St. John's Wort. This was not at a doctors recommendation; it was my own personal choice as I felt the Prozac was making me sick and poisoning me (again, my personal experience). I then paired it with 5-HTP, and have done surprising well with this and some other vitamins in keeping my depression in check.
I would recommend anyone who wants to take St. Johns Wort to do some research on it first, more than just reading this forum. I've read the recommended dosage is 900 mg a day, and that is what I take. Sometimes I'll take 1200 mg if I feel I need it. I take it consistently, 2 times a day, morning and night. 2 pills in the morning, and 1 at night. Each pill is 300 mg.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/st-johns-wort
post #199 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Father, Son & Holyzilla

My Mood: Mellow
Day 2 and I felt okay today. Not sure if it's working or a placebo effect right now but it did enough to keep me out of bed
post #200 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Hi/Hola

My Mood: Doubtful
Bought one bottle about a couple hours ago. Took my first 2 capsules. Let's see how it goes.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page