Omega 3 Fish Oil - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 318 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 PM
My So-Called Self

I've been taking omega 3 fish oil tablets every day for at least two months now & have noticed no difference in my mood. That's part of the reason I started taking it, because I had heard it could help, but it's done nothing of the sort. I continue taking it because it's still good for my physical health, even if it does nothing for my mental health.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” _Dr. Seuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 318 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 AM
SAS Member

mabye

i take it for arthritis, i dont no about the mental health bit, but i alway,s took a smaller amount of omega fish oil as one of my boosters for health,, but i started a high dose after reading it was cool for arthritis,an it seem,s to work well on that// i think anything to do with fish is deamed cool for mental health, so hey why not// im a %100 nut job so i hope it works
post #43 of 318 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM
EFD
The Creative Misanthrope

Well, if nothing else, it's good for your cardiovascular system. lol

Surprisingly though, there have been a couple of clinical studies (I can't remember by which universities) that have shown that Omega-3 oil in conjunction with daily vigorous walking was just as effective as anti-depressants in the treatment of MILD depression.

I take it for health reasons. My depression is too severe for Omega-3 oil to efficacious.

Most men [people] lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Henry David Thoreau

Caelum videre iussit, et erectos ad sidera tollere vultus. "He bid them look at the sky and lift their faces to the stars." - Ovid, Metamorphoses 1. 85-86

http://ericfdiaz.wordpress.com/

post #44 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 06:59 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

update;

I purchased the above fish oil (xtend life omega 3 / dha fish oil) and for me it doesn't work at all , in fact it's increased my problems and made them worse. like increased uncomfortable cardiac palpitations and insomnia to name but a few problems. based on personal experience I won't be trying this one again, just reading the thread again I see that someone else had the same reaction ,one mans poison is another's potion, maybe it might work for you...
post #45 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:39 AM
SAS Member

not so cool now

the omega fish oil therory , still take 3ooo mg as well as all my shrink meds, the arthritis responce seem,s to have worn of a little from the first flush of success. if the poster had heart palpatations mabye it was getting a boost not a bad reaction.
post #46 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 07:05 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
if the poster had heart palpatations mabye it was getting a boost not a bad reaction.
possibly, regardless I never experienced the same thing on the cheap cod liver oil I was using before. for me the xtend-life brand ones only caused problems and didnt help anything at all. it actually slowed my cognitive functions down where as the cheaper capsules helped me out a bit.
post #47 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy1 View Post
update;

I purchased the above fish oil (xtend life omega 3 / dha fish oil) and for me it doesn't work at all , in fact it's increased my problems and made them worse. like increased uncomfortable cardiac palpitations and insomnia to name but a few problems. based on personal experience I won't be trying this one again, just reading the thread again I see that someone else had the same reaction ,one mans poison is another's potion, maybe it might work for you...
That would be the side effects of fish oil, give krill oil a go. I had a bunch of problems when using high dosages of good quality fish oil. Switched to krill oil and I don't have any side effects.
post #48 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricalillusions View Post
I've been taking omega 3 fish oil tablets every day for at least two months now & have noticed no difference in my mood. That's part of the reason I started taking it, because I had heard it could help, but it's done nothing of the sort. I continue taking it because it's still good for my physical health, even if it does nothing for my mental health.
Which fish oil are you taking? It's not just as simple as going to the store and purchasing a bottle of fish oil and expecting it to work.
post #49 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyblkguy View Post
"
Posted by UltraShy
Treatment Experience
but after over 3 months of taking Omega 3 fish oil capsules three times daily I can assure everyone that they have no effect on mood or anxiety,.."

I find it 'interesting' that ones own experience deems they can now " assure everyone that they have no effect on mood or anxiety,.." . And why an update when there was no doubt the 1st time ? Momentary rationale?

I doubt all grades of fish oil are the same for all people. To think your result would suit everyone is funny to me .
Same deal, people just don't research this stuff properly. If your prepared to try fish oil, give Krill Oil a go first, IMO it's much better.
post #50 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimminy_Billy_Bob View Post
Yep same for me, fish oil has really done wonders for depression and proves to be a good adjunct to nardil in helping mood and greatly lessening irritability.
Really? Haha surprised my family haven't personally prescribed these for me at certain times! I've taken them before though and not really noticed any difference, although I'd assume it be extremely subtle?
post #51 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:27 PM
User Requested Ban

Concentration and memory wise, I believe fish oil helps me a great deal. Which in store slightly lessens depressions hold on me.
post #52 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:29 AM
SAS Member

omega fish oil

i am takeing them for athritis not anxierty,
post #53 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 AM
SAS Member

Omega 3 Fish Oils are great. I use them with a multi, vit D, vit C, B50 complex and a Clonazepam.
post #54 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Permanently Banned

What's a good dose to start off with?
post #55 of 318 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:28 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strato View Post
What's a good dose to start off with?
I think mine are 300mg

EDIT: They are actually 1000mg
post #56 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:15 AM
SAS Member

fish oil omega

Well it says on the bottle 3 times a day. so 3000 mg , Its not a med ,it wont knock you out or anything, an you wont feel effects for sometime, if at all.
post #57 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 AM
SAS Member

i heard it's good for skinny people, like me, they say that we need more oil in body to keep it running better, my therapist sugested it to me....
post #58 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 02:33 PM
SAS Member

its not going to do much for anxiety, but its great for the heart and it's good for joints, which is something you want to take if you exercise regularly.

By not correcting my spelling mistakes, I am proving that I do not care what others think of me.
post #59 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Lauren

I did not notice any change in mood with fish oil supplements. I did notice my hair and nails grew really nice... but I noticed a HUGE increase in appetite. I felt constantly hungry so I had to stop taking them.
post #60 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Optimism Prime~

Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids = Omega 6's + Omega 3's.

I believe the whole idea of taking omega 3's to begin with is to re-address the modern tendency for sky high amounts of omega 6. In other words, there is suppose to be a balance between the two (1:4 in O6's favour at the highest)
Therefore I would argue by cutting back on Omega 6's you'll probably see greator benefit. And it would probably explain why some people don't see that much difference sometimes when they do supplement O3's.

In an ideal world though, you would have a good ratio between the two AND consume very little Polyunsaturated fats to begin with. Saturated fats are the ideal (I know this flies in the face of conventional thinking) in regards to dietary fat sources.

slow progress is still progress.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page