Omega 3 Fish Oil - Page 13 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #241 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:42 AM
SAS Member

Eating fresh sea food in general is good for your health but taking Omega 3 supplements can be tricky. Find the natural supplements to take if you don't like eating fish. My mom takes omega 3 supplements for her heart problems, it really helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhermanson View Post
Eating fresh sea food in general is good for your health but taking Omega 3 supplements can be tricky. Find the natural supplements to take if you don't like eating fish. My mom takes omega 3 supplements for her heart problems, it really helps.
How do you know it really helps?

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #243 of 318 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 09:46 AM
SAS Member

It helps her because she feels better when taking omega 3 supplements. It is a simple observation, but may not work for anybody. In general natural supplements don't have side effects and they won't do any harm. Before taking any pills or supplements it is better to consult your doctor.

post #244 of 318 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:33 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
How do you know it really helps?
Dyslipidemia is one of the main determinants of atherosclerosis, which is the main cause of coronary ischemia. Omega 3 fatty acids reduce the levels of cholesterol in the blood, which indirectly helps the heart and vessels.

Also, Omega 3 acids have some benefits on the nervous system, i don't know if they really reduce anxiety levels, but they appear to reduce depression.

There's nothing to fear, but fear itself
post #245 of 318 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:04 PM
Dragonic Archon

I'm unsure it actually helps, placebo effect has power psychologically though lol. I do take it if I remember (as with vitamins lol hey better than none though right, here and there like our ancestors!), supposed to be good for the skin too. On the bad side, makes me feel bloated, gassy, and noxious~ And not the cool "Noxion" type of noxious you'd think of with purple clouds and green goo >_>!

Love or hate me as you will, but live now and in your final breath. In time we shall meet again.
post #246 of 318 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 05:28 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioancristian View Post
Dyslipidemia is one of the main determinants of atherosclerosis, which is the main cause of coronary ischemia. Omega 3 fatty acids reduce the levels of cholesterol in the blood, which indirectly helps the heart and vessels.

Also, Omega 3 acids have some benefits on the nervous system, i don't know if they really reduce anxiety levels, but they appear to reduce depression.

Sounds like hogwash to me.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #247 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:10 AM
In Liquidation

Been taking it regularly for the past many years. Doesn't seem like it made a difference in my mood in any way. But it did helped my with my good cholesterol and my skin.
post #248 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 02:17 PM
SAS Member

I never knew this. I took omega 3 fish oil along with biotin for my hair. But I thought it was strange how when I did take it my mood seemed better. I dunno, I just thought maybe it was a pure coincidence. I stopped taking it recently out of laziness but I'm going to start again...
post #249 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:56 AM
SAS Member

Need high doses according to study on post-partum depression

According to a meta-analysis study on post-partum depression Omega 3 had no effect....unless it was in high doses. Somewhere it was also mentioned that beyond 3000mg could cause problems with oxidised omega 3 in the body. So perhaps that should be our limit.

As a result I take super-high strength EPA/DHA supplement, like 900mg of EPA/DHA in a 1300mg capsule. When I get a friend to try it I get them to take 3 a day for a couple of days.

Also the most important seems to be DHA rather than EPA.

I think the anti-inflammatory effect is likely partly in the immuno suppressive effects of light polyunsaturates. So perhaps best to avoid large amounts of the stuff. Veg oils were used experimentally for transplant patients but abandoned due to cancer issues in favour of more targeted mould based immuno suppressives.

I've not noticed anything for myself, but a friend recovered from a mild depression in the space of 30mins (taking a capsule on an empty stomach) just sitting at the table. She had been eating a lot of almonds and nuts generally over the space of a few days. I told her of the Omega 6 connection with depression (not just bi-polar as someone mentioned above), and convinced her to take the capsule. We were both astounded at her rapid recovery. She doesn't use it any more, favouring salmon, as it repeats on her, but she does now avoid Omega 6, nuts, margarine, veg oils etc, and use butter instead (and olive oil for salads, only 10% omega 6).

However I couldn't say for either of us that we have noticed any effect on SA.

Links :

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/741718
http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/6/1572.abstract
http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnose...tal_depression
post #250 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 03:51 PM
#SaveTheOA

My Mood: Inspired
My doctor wants me to take fish oil pills too, I think they will help cuz I don't eat so much salmon, all I have is a coffee and out the door, I think supplements will surely help my brain alot. If I can't eat it, I will surely swallow the pills! And also she wants me to take B complex vitamins, it's so amazing we don't get these nutrients from everyday american meals, so we have to take supplements ! dumb !

🐞
"I live for the progress I've made."
🦋

Last edited by SwtSurrender; 01-14-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: forgot to add something, sorry!
post #251 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 04:34 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Brooding
Talking

I take fish oil and it doesn't do squat for my anxiety or depression.

Sure has helped my constipation though.
post #252 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:23 PM
SAS Member

Gave me adult acne which I'd never had but my hair did seem shinier.
post #253 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM
SAS Member

Fish oil? Lol
post #254 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:54 PM
SAS Member

Yh maybe. Its a fat it gives ur brain energy. Ok ill buy some fish
post #255 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 04:20 AM
SAS Member

My Fish Oil Experience

Fish Oil capsules and omega-3 supplements seem to help prevent clinical depression in my experience. You may feel bad and you may wish you were better but if you supplement this overtime i think it does act as a barrier from severe depression. No immediate effects are noticed however. As for anxiety i never really noticed any difference in anxiety when taking it although because it improves brain function it probably helps somewhat.
post #256 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 06:51 AM
SAS Member

I never felt happier in my life then when I ate a large can of salmon everyday. Took a few weeks n I was doin other stuff
post #257 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 02:22 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alli3fire View Post
Gave me adult acne which I'd never had but my hair did seem shinier.
It was probably pushing out all the "toxins" in your body and so your skin was having a bad reaction to it.
The same thing happened to me when I started drinking green smoothies daily.
Then again when I started using coconut oil for my face and other organic products to wash and moisturize it.
Your body usually has to adapt to new, healthy changes, and unfortunately the way it often does that is to make your skin break out, red, irritated, etc.

I take a multi vitamin, St Johns Wort, vitamin D, Biotin, and fish oil daily.
My skin was irritated for 3 weeks and my hair was shedding more than usual.
Once my body adjusted to the changes, my hair started growing in thicker and fuller on my head, face, and body, and my skin feels really clean all the time.

Never read anything about it helping depression, but naturally when your body looks and feels healthier, you're bound to be pretty happy about that.
post #258 of 318 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 AM
SAS Member

best Omega 3 - vegan

I recently discovered about Omega 3 from Clary Sage Seed Oil. Previously I've been using Omega3 from fish oil and suffered from really bad taste in my mouth *yak*. I take my health seriously and after research I found out not only Omega3 from Clary Sage has a great taste, this vegan & natural product also provides the best Essential Fatty Acid for our body without the side effects that go along with fish oil (weight gain, metal poisoning..)
This site was very helpful with all the information - https://vegan-omega3.com/content/19-...an-fish-oil?jo
I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do
post #259 of 318 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 11:17 PM
#SaveTheOA

My Mood: Inspired
I overdose on these fish oil pills, it says take 2 daily and I end up taking 6 daily... and I also swallow the capsule, chew and swallow yum!

It's ok to overdose on fish oil pills right??????

🐞
"I live for the progress I've made."
🦋
post #260 of 318 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 AM
In Liquidation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmind View Post
I overdose on these fish oil pills, it says take 2 daily and I end up taking 6 daily... and I also swallow the capsule, chew and swallow yum!

It's ok to overdose on fish oil pills right??????
Only side effect I could think of is, it might give you some diarrhea if you have a sensitive stomach or intestines from the excessive oily content. Besides that, i doubt it could give you much problems.

My bf also has mild hyperthyroidism, and it gave him flareups since the fish oil pills have some iodine content, which made his condition worse.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page