Omega 3 Fish Oil - Page 12 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #221 of 318 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Angst Abolition

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1e2 View Post
In the past I have read research articles about countries that include people who eat "fatty fish" (such as salmon, etc.) have less suicide attempts and it is thought also that the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids is important since it is best to consume a certain ratio. Americans in general consume too much foods that omega 6 sources and not enough foods that contain omega 3 fatty acids. In the past I took krill oil of 300 to 500 mg per day and I should have taken up to 1000 mg at least. I now want to try to include more salmon and other sources of omega 3 fatty acids. I do like walnuts also which contain omega 3 fatty acids.
People who eat fatty fish more often are also less likely to eat processed food which causes a lot of depression. The omega 3 isn't to be accredited as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 318 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:24 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrubnitz View Post
People who eat fatty fish more often are also less likely to eat processed food which causes a lot of depression. The omega 3 isn't to be accredited as much.
A lot of depression (esp. Biploar, post-natal, and also possibly OCD) is caused by Omega 6 found in vegetable oils (snflower is 65% Omega 6), nuts and margarine (also 'softened' butters), Mcdonalds fries, Mayo and some animal fats due to feeding with oils (pig fat, chicken fat, also goose fat). It has a major effect in the brain. Omega 3 competes with Omega 6 in the brain and effectively counteracts it. So ultimately, just cut out the Omega 6. Veg oils are a product of the industrialisation of farming and are not natural to us in quantity.

Nevertheless while Omega 6 may be the direct cause, the effect of Omega 3 is pretty profound when sources high in the EPA/DHA Omega 3s are used, such as salmon or high strength Omega 3 supplements (but not flax seed oil). Feeling depressed? Eat some salmon and you may feel better within a couple of hours. One of those high strength supplements on an empty stomach can work within 30 minutes.

Read the Omega 6 page on wikipedia.

Another source of depression is a lack of vitamin D. S.A.D. studies showed major effects, well beyond light boxes, when high dose suipplements of vitamin D were used. I've worked out that you should use 8,000 IUs a day. That's far above the RDA. A recent study on pregnant ladies of 4,000 IUs (vitamin D3 not the plant based and toxic vitamin D2) showed no negatives and many positives (against infection, I believe).

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/741718
http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/6/1572.abstract
post #223 of 318 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Planet

My Mood: Crappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie moi View Post
I just started taking omega-3 krill oil. Aside from helping(or not helping in most cases) with mental health, can anyone talk about any noticeable improvements in skin in hair?

Will the gassy/bloated feeling ever go away?
You should notice a difference after a few weeks.

JUST DO IT, ******

post #224 of 318 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I have tried this and it doesn't do anything at all. For any of the purposes they say it does. Snake oil.

/WYSD
post #225 of 318 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:11 AM
SAS Member

Here I found a study performed by: Ministry of Health Beer Sheva Mental Health Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19499625

Conclusion is that omega-3 do help with depression, although miracles can't be expected of course, but it did show improvement compared to placebo.

Never give up in life. Every day is something special even tho you think its just same as every other day.
post #226 of 318 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 AM
SAS Member

Does anyone the main difference between Flax Oil and Fish Oil? Fish Oil I know is where you get the DHA and DHEA, and flax I think doesn't. But in terms of Omega 3s, is there any difference?
post #227 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 01:00 AM
SAS Member

frezzor omega 3

This is a really great omega 3 supplement to check out http://teamfrezzor.com/jakegilbert/products.aspx
post #228 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladDays View Post
You should notice a difference after a few weeks.
I haven't noticed a difference in anything (mental health, hair , skin , body in general ) , and I've been using it for about a month them I stopped. Does anyone know if it takes longer than a month to see results or should I stop using it?

I prefer the harsh , cold truth over a beautiful lie anyday.
post #229 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 04:43 PM
SAS Member

I have started using Omega 3 supplements last year and I noticed a boost in memory. I use these...
http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Natural...ct_top?ie=UTF8

RON PAUL 2012
FOR PRESIDENT

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
post #230 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 AM
SAS Member

i used to take them when I was around 7 because I was recovery from an eye co-ordination problem, but I recently started using them again and I feel like they are helping. I have bad joints, a bad memory and severe anxiety so I take the full adult dose of 4. They haven't helped with the anxiety so far or the bad memory, but my joints aren't aching or crackling like they did before.
post #231 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

I eat sardines basically every day so......
post #232 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:56 AM
SAS Member

I've been taking 1200mg of fish oil a day for a few months now. I honestly haven't seen much effect on my mood or anxiety, but it has helped with my high cholesterol. So that's good.
post #233 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Do you think we can safely call this snake oil now? It just seems wrong to keep calling it fish oil. I don't think people will get it.
post #234 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Waffle

My omega source is flaxseeds. I put a spoonful of flaxseeds in my oatmeal and somewhere I heard its a good food combo. I tired to do this everyday but sometimes I don't have time for it.
post #235 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:47 PM
SAS Member

A page talking about Omega 3 Omega 6 ratios in grain fed and grass fed Bison.

http://www.bisonbasics.com/pastured/..._finished.html

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #236 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 04:08 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Do you think we can safely call this snake oil now? It just seems wrong to keep calling it fish oil. I don't think people will get it.
Word. It is snake oil. There is no evidence that it improves mood. It's ironic how the producers of supplements constantly speak of the evils of big pharma when they're raking in billions from their supplements that generally do nothing and are sometimes even harmful.
post #237 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 11:54 AM
sarvam dukham sarvam anit

My Mood: Mellow
The placebo effect is the measurable, observable, or felt improvement in health or behavior not attributable to a medication or invasive treatment that has been administered. The placebo effect is not mind over matter; it is not mind-body medicine. 'The placebo effect' has become a catchall term for a positive change in health not attributable to medication or treatment. As is explained below, the change can be due to many things, such as regression to the mean, spontaneous improvement, reduction of stress, misdiagnosis in the first place, subject expectancy, classical conditioning, etc.

Meds, chemicals, therapy, support groups...if you feel better or more "normal", does it even matter how it happened? The end goal is to decrease anxiety...if it works for you, do it, if not, move on to the next thing?
post #238 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezusCrust View Post
Word. It is snake oil. There is no evidence that it improves mood. It's ironic how the producers of supplements constantly speak of the evils of big pharma when they're raking in billions from their supplements that generally do nothing and are sometimes even harmful.
Well, it might (over the course of a lifetime) have a very subtle effect on the health and functioning of the brain. It just annoys me that they tout it as a miracle cure for everything when it obviously isn't.
post #239 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:20 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrubnitz View Post
There is no evidence that processed food causes depression or even contributes to it. The only people I've seen saying that is alternative medicine hucksters.
post #240 of 318 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by social worker View Post
The placebo effect is the measurable, observable, or felt improvement in health or behavior not attributable to a medication or invasive treatment that has been administered. The placebo effect is not mind over matter; it is not mind-body medicine. 'The placebo effect' has become a catchall term for a positive change in health not attributable to medication or treatment. As is explained below, the change can be due to many things, such as regression to the mean, spontaneous improvement, reduction of stress, misdiagnosis in the first place, subject expectancy, classical conditioning, etc.

Meds, chemicals, therapy, support groups...if you feel better or more "normal", does it even matter how it happened? The end goal is to decrease anxiety...if it works for you, do it, if not, move on to the next thing?
Feeling better in general is good, but it's nice to know if a treatment actually does anything so people don't waste money, time, and develop a significantly worse mood from all the things they believed were true but ultimately failed in being helpful. It's kind of like when people say there's no downside to believing in a god even if it turns out to not be true -- a lot of time is lost in a finite life devoting yourself to something that probably isn't there.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page