Omega 3 Fish Oil - Page 11 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #201 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 AM
SAS Member

We have to stop expecting that some magical chemical is going to do the homework for us! leave poor fish alone swimming in the seas. Of course omega 3 dealers will claim that it keeps you happy, that it grants you eternal life and stuff and that superman endorses it...

The task at hand is to learn to live peaceful happy lives by ourselves, with the power of our minds alone without resorting to external stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 12:11 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafahur View Post
We have to stop expecting that some magical chemical is going to do the homework for us! leave poor fish alone swimming in the seas. Of course omega 3 dealers will claim that it keeps you happy, that it grants you eternal life and stuff and that superman endorses it...

The task at hand is to learn to live peaceful happy lives by ourselves, with the power of our minds alone without resorting to external stuff.
THIS so much!

I did NOT make myself king,God DID
post #203 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 12:55 PM
SAS Member

I've been taking the gnc performance and vitality vitapaks almost everyday for the last 2 years. Omega 3's are in the pack and I have noticed NO mental difference.

post #204 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 PM
….one sec

My Mood: Inspired
I find it makes my SA worse, but I'm fine with flaxseed oil.
post #205 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:21 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
In the past I have read research articles about countries that include people who eat "fatty fish" (such as salmon, etc.) have less suicide attempts and it is thought also that the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids is important since it is best to consume a certain ratio. Americans in general consume too much foods that omega 6 sources and not enough foods that contain omega 3 fatty acids. In the past I took krill oil of 300 to 500 mg per day and I should have taken up to 1000 mg at least. I now want to try to include more salmon and other sources of omega 3 fatty acids. I do like walnuts also which contain omega 3 fatty acids.
post #206 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:29 PM
SAS Member

Omega 3 fatty acids increase the production of BDNF (brain derived neutrophic factor). So this is my little hypothesis. If one were to be actively practicing cognitive behavioral therapy or some other form of desensitization while taking fish oil, it would accelerate the therapeutic effects of the program. It would do this by increasing the myelination of neurons that were 'learning' that a situation or activity posed no danger or harmful consequence.

But as far as just taking fish oil, it does nothing to decrease anxiety, and in fact may increase it in some people due to its propensity to increase dopamine (which is metabolized into norepinephrine).
post #207 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 PM
SAS Member

I can't stop eating fish oil capsules. I eat 10-50 a day.
post #208 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 06:44 PM
SAS Member

Yeah I find the Anchovy Oil is a suitable alternative. High in the good stuff, and low in the Vitamins A and D. With some fish oils, not all of them, the Vitamin A content is so high that going over the recommended dosage will cause dizziness. I mean you gotta drink alot, same thing as getting sick off eating too much chocolate.

ASMR Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (works wonders with my anxiety)
post #209 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 10:56 PM
SAS Member

That's too much it can have an effect on blood pressure. I would recommend exercise
post #210 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:38 PM
SAS Member

For those that take/took omega oil (from any source) and found no help with depression, can you post which product you used and how much a day? Also, what is the EPA/DHA ratio if available?

I use PharmAssure Fish Oil. Each capsule has 300mg of omega-3. The bottle doesn't specify EPA/DHA, but according to http://www.directionsforme.org/index...00048107064396 it's 180/120. I take 4-6 capsules a day. I find that it does help with depression.
post #211 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:23 PM
SAS Member

I would like to add that in the summer of 2012, I was on a big sardine kick. I would eat one to two cans of sardines a day. There was definitely a noticeable difference from the 1.5-2mg of Omega-3 fatty acids from the sardines. Mainly in my ability to concentrate. Sardines also contain choline and zinc, along with some other trace elements. In addition, fish oil in capsules is different (ethyl esters) from fish oil in fish (triglycerides).

Sardines are pretty gross. I could eat them on Triscuits (an expensive type of whole wheat cracker). I have no problem eating smoked oysters (which allegedly claim to have at least a gram of omega-3 fatty acids), but they are expensive, and can contain some very high amounts of pollutants.
post #212 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:31 PM
SAS Member

I don't know why, but when I was working 24/7 at some point I developed a massive craving for these. They helped big time.

Now I'm sipping from a bottle of bulk cod oil from various manufacturers. TBH, the last batch I got doesn't feel the same as some of the others. It's liver oil after all. The part of the fish organ that filters all it's food. Pollution could be a factor in any of them if you ask me. The bottle of anchovy oils feels cleaner for lacks of better terms. Could be my imagination.

Hmmmnnn... they say the bigger the fish, the longer the big fish lives, the more prone it is to collect higher concentrations of heavy metals. Might be some logic with that.

ASMR Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (works wonders with my anxiety)
post #213 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 PM
SAS Member

it's good but I stopped using supplements because I started feeling flu like symptoms maybe it's the vasoconstriction. now I eat Sardines. tastes amazing and provides all omega which as helped my anxiety. I'm a strong believer that food, vitamins, and amino acids is all that is needed
post #214 of 318 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 11:01 PM
Permanently Banned

This stuff can really calm down your mind and being as a whole, but it usually needs to go hand in hand with either dietary changes, exercise or both (imo). I used to take it as a kid and along with a better diet, it really helped me to focus and chill out like nothing else (it also *seemed* to get rid of my absolutely horrible case of eczema, they do say it's good for the skin, which is a nice bonus for people like me). I've since fallen off the bandwagon, and I can tell I really need to start taking it again. It definitely does something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehumble View Post
it's good but I stopped using supplements because I started feeling flu like symptoms maybe it's the vasoconstriction. now I eat Sardines. tastes amazing and provides all omega which as helped my anxiety. I'm a strong believer that food, vitamins, and amino acids is all that is needed
That is really good to hear, how long did it take you to start feeling the positive effects on your anxiety?
post #215 of 318 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 09:15 AM
SAS Member

Well, I've been consuming flax seed oil every day for the past year, as well as other foods containing omega 3 (beans, some vegetables, some dairy products). Does nada for anxiety/depression, but gives subtle energy and is beneficial for every single thing imaginable. Maybe fish oil's (as it contains different types of omega 3) effect is more noticable.
post #216 of 318 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 04:02 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacking Serotonin View Post
I can't stop eating fish oil capsules. I eat 10-50 a day.
maybe get some other fat in ur food. peanut butter or hummus, you can eat tubs of it and doesn't cost much

sometimes science is more art than science
post #217 of 318 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 04:45 PM
By myself, but not alone.

Even though Omega-3 is targeted for heart health, it's really great for all of your body. Omega-3 is the perfect substance for developing your cells' phospholipid bilayer. With our normal diet, that membrane is rigid, which is bad, especially for your brain. Omega-3 breaks down easily and will make that membrane more flexible.

I started taking Krill oil a few months ago, and I noticed a great change in my mood.

"When you go to a chick's page and you see 75 pictures of her cats before you see one of them, you know it's gonna be a disaster."
post #218 of 318 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 07:55 AM
SAS Member

It's common sense healthy nutrition has a direct impact on your well being both physical and mental.

The reason for a lot of claims is that most people have some deficiency or another, by supplementing you can reduce said deficiencies and experience increased health benefits as opposed to someone who has a very very clean diet and may benefit less from them.
post #219 of 318 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 AM
SAS Member

I just started taking omega-3 krill oil. Aside from helping(or not helping in most cases) with mental health, can anyone talk about any noticeable improvements in skin in hair?

Will the gassy/bloated feeling ever go away?
post #220 of 318 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 12:26 PM
SAS Member

https://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Pr...4/?ProdID=1656

problem solved and you get d3 also which the majority are deficient in and has been proven alleviate depression as well.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page