Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Omega 3 Fish Oil

260K views 321 replies 207 participants last post by  pheniboner 
#1 ·
Omega 3 found in fish oil is thought to support good mood. It can be taken in liquid or capsule form (generally large, but you can find some smaller size capsules out there).

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid

#75 ·
I would probably avoid the cheaper fish oil brands you find at walmart or wherever. I buy mine at a health food store. They carry Nordic Naturals which comes from fish only from Norway. There are fisheries in China that are polluted with veterinary drugs etc. Be careful where the fish, and thus the fish oil, comes from.

#78 ·
I actually take omega 3 fish oil and I have found that I do feel better and I've been taking it for almost a year now. If its not the fish oil that actually does it the placebo effect works for me. Yes there is a risk that fish oil may contain mercury. But a lot of fish oil capsules are purified (or so they claim) so they are free of mercury. I would make sure if you do get the capsules that they have the purified of mercury sticker on the bottle.

#80 ·
I actually take omega 3 fish oil and I have found that I do feel better and I've been taking it for almost a year now. If its not the fish oil that actually does it the placebo effect works for me. Yes there is a risk that fish oil may contain mercury. But a lot of fish oil capsules are purified (or so they claim) so they are free of mercury. I would make sure if you do get the capsules that they have the purified of mercury sticker on the bottle.
The theory is that smaller fish like Herring or Mackerel are better because they are smaller and don't live very long thus they don't pick up very much mercury during their lives.

#83 ·
i'm thinking if its more economical and beneficial if i eat canned sardines at least three times a week.
Probably is.

#84 ·
Good Reviews about Omega 3 Fish Oil..

I've heard so much good things and reviews about omega 3 fish oil and its benefits before that's why it's give me reason to try it since im a sick person with a lot of sickness.. :blank

The brand i used is the Maxalife. It's my friend suggestion and also i read info before about their products in magazines and flyers. And i'm just amaze about the results. It's more than that i expect. maybe because it really helps the brand i chose.

#85 ·
fish oil does have a lot of benefits but as for anxiety its efficacy is questionable.

it has however been proven to treat bipolar, even better than some prescriptions it was pitted against in I imagine more than one double blind study.

lovaxa is bs, the government doesn't want us to trust natural remedies so they have to try and steal them and try and take the credit.. the ethyl properties just mean it's more efficient and processed by the body better. lovaxa in itself is probably not bs, but fish oil is widely available, they don't need to make it a prescription. it's like they're admitting that fish oil is better than all the other cholesterol lowering prescriptions they have.. yea we know but they don't need to gunk it up.

anyways :b to get certain results really high dosages are required. the amount of epa and dha are what really matters. you could have a 1g pill and an 800mg pill but the 800mg pill could have 420mg of epa and 120mg of dha while the 1g pill has 220mg of epa and 200mg of dha.. there's a lot of variation so reading the labels is important.
I don't think mercury is a huge concern because there are many reputable brands out there and they have strict standards; there's virtually no mercury in them.

there's a brand called Carlson that's trusted and widely available. on the Vitamin Shoppe website, a bottle of liquid is normally like $40-$50 but you can get it for like $20 cuz they have web only specials and I think it's normally on there. you can also tell them you saw it online (if you did) for cheaper while at the store and they'll match their website price.
it's 16.9fl size and 1 teaspoon is a serving; about 100 servings per container
one teaspoon has 800mg of epa and 500mg of dha, a very nice dosage, though you may take more or less than one teaspoon a day depending on what your goal is.

I do not eat fish or anything that used to swim for a living and I wouldn't dream of it, but I am able to take this liquid no problem. and I think it has less after effects than pills. the trick whether you're taking a liquid or pill, is to drink water when you take it and make sure to eat something that has a little bit of fat.. healthy fats such as nuts or some avocado or maybe cheese, even chips lol... then you shouldn't have any fishy burps or anything unpleasant.

it's a really nice product. I used to take it more strictly but stopped for a while but got more when I could afford it and now I just take it whenever..
there are lots of studies on fish oil, you can easily see for yourself what it realistically and theoretically can and can't do

#88 · (Edited)
True it is all about the EPA and DHA the higher the better, though some reports are coming out and clamming its just EPA but that remains to be seen. The fish oils you buy in shops and on-line wont have that much of an effect really you need to be taking pharmaceutical grade fish oil which is what all these trials have been based on. iv been taking "omax3" expensive i know! but completely worth it. 2 of these bad boys contain 1125mg EPA and 275mg DHA and i sometimes take 4 or 5! and have been for 3 months or so now, even my mum comented the other day on how she feels like she can have an actual conversation with me now...

#91 ·
I've used Omega 3's for a while and it does nothing for me. Not for mood, skin, or anything.

Coromega is the best brand to get. It has 300% better absorption rate compared to softgels (there was a study done)... also zero fish taste nor burps.

If you want less metals, look for "molecularly distilled".

#93 ·
JESUS , is just fish oil a supplement. Its not an ad or mood stablizer. Its just a fish oil that people who are run down with illness as a supplement like vitamin d. I take it i dont know if it does any good or what , im was advised to take it, an it dont cost much so hey why not. But if your looking to change you mood or cure depression with omega fish oil your barking up the wrong tree .:yes:yes:yes:yes

#98 ·
I have started taking cod-liver oil (I could not manage to keep down any size or amount of the capsules) for other health benefits. I find the best source of figuring out how my anxiety, depression, etc. is doing is not by gauging MY opinion, but asking those around me.

#99 ·
I started taking fish oil/omega 3, B complex, and vitamin D supplements last fall, along with my multivitamin. I did it for the other health benefits but found that it smoothed out the rough days about as well as the generic Prozac I had been on, without the sexual side effects. It doesn't help with the really low days but I found I was having more good days than bad.

I haven't been taking them as consistently lately since my schedule is off kilter with my kids out of school for the summer and I've had more rough days than happy.

#101 ·
Everybody here say they take omega 3, some noticed changes n some didn't, but nobody mentioned how much dose he take everyday. This could explain why some of you haven't noticed any different while others did. I went to my therapist yesterday and she said it's good if you take 2,000mg of Oilfish omega-3 every morning, along with vitamin D -- she said she does that herself. I wonder how much dose did those take who said they have gotten better after using it.

#102 ·
I'd rather take fish oil than any antidepressant. First off there are nearly no side effects compared to antidepressants. Second for me it works way better than antidepressants even if it's a placebo effect. There are studies where the placebo effect is much greater than drugs. It's not as expensive as drugs. Fish Oil is the way to go!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.