Magnesium - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 02:49 PM
Master of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Bel View Post
I've been reading that magnesium helps relax your body as well as relieves muscle cramps and promotes muscle hydration. Not sure what it means for overall depression treatment or anxiety. I suppose if your body is more relaxed, that helps the mind as well? I also read that magnesium helps promote over 300 types of chemical reactions in the body, so if you are going to be using magnesium, make sure you speak to a pharmacist first.
These are natural chemical reactions. Your body needs magnesium to function properly and we get it through food and supplements. There is no need to speak to a pharmacist unless anyone is planning to take a monster dose of it. Works best as an anxiolytic in doses from around 400-500 mg and up.

Make it so number one. Engage!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 05:13 PM
SAS Member

take 500mg citrate magnesium for sleep, does seem to help with sleep..and can use an extra as stress depletes it.
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 AM
SAS Member

I've used magnesium for almost half a year, It kinda worked in the beginning, not sure if placebo however, now it seems to do nothing more than give me stomach pains

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:20 PM
SAS Member

beside better sleep I dont see why it gets 4 stars...got GAD and didn't help a tiny bit
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 10:19 AM
SAS Member

Any thoughts about topical use of magnesium (i.e. rubbing into skin)?
I was given some spray on magnesium by friend, who said that it can be a relaxant for both muscles and mind if rubbed in. Just starting to use this, but not sure of the science. It does seem to feel relaxing I suppose, physically.
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 09:11 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Buzzed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stufer View Post
Any thoughts about topical use of magnesium (i.e. rubbing into skin)?
I was given some spray on magnesium by friend, who said that it can be a relaxant for both muscles and mind if rubbed in. Just starting to use this, but not sure of the science. It does seem to feel relaxing I suppose, physically.
Yea, it's a great mineral used for many things. It's also known as Epsom Salt. It can be purchased for very cheap in most grocery stores. You may soak in it, exfoliate your body and cleanse yourself internally as well.

I've recently been taking magnesium citrate for constipation but soon learned that its not good to take for long periods. I would also look into the warnings regarding long term use of magnesium, especially for those who become reliant on it. I have acquired kidney issues in the past through over exercising. Such issues including fatty liver to which many obese people suffer, can also be at risk due to a detox limitations. This actually includes a number of supplements.

It's always best to source your minerals from whole foods as excess proteins from food is broken down differently to that of inorganic/synthetic supplements are and tax the kidney even in healthy people. Kidney stones can result from too much of a good thing. You only have to research into Vitim C on that controversy. Learning the doses and self testing is the best way. I take 500mg of vitamin C but will soon be off it as I reach a higher level of fitness and tapper out a new life style change.

Finding the right dose is what counts. It's not uncommon to overload with excess, through long term use on your skin either. It only took a few times picking fruit in a field for me to get sick due to the poison used to successfully grow the crops.

It's a great product - but it's not for everyone and knowing how much and how long to use it is key.

Hope some of the links are of interest to you. Just read up on the side effects so you know what to look for. That way you can feel safer testing it out for yourself.

I make no claims, other than show an interest and in need of much reading myself.

I hope you benefit greatly from it.

All the best.

post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:33 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy

Magnesium

Magnesium has helped me tons!! The most effective form of Magnesium is Magnesium Citrate. I've been taking this one http://www.amztk.com/magnesium-citrate and I've seen amazing results. This is probably one of the best magnesium supplements out there. This has really helped me with so many different issues.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:02 PM
SAS Member

I use the magnesium oil. Rub it on my leg muscles. My knees have arthritis and sometimes on the really bad days I rely more on my leg muscles to prevent the knee from giving out. But it makes my leg muscle sore. The oil helps with this.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:18 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
I use the magnesium oil. Rub it on my leg muscles. My knees have arthritis and sometimes on the really bad days I rely more on my leg muscles to prevent the knee from giving out. But it makes my leg muscle sore. The oil helps with this.
It helped me out with muscle issues with my back. I strained my back and side muscles to the point it hurt to take a deep breath. Mg helped.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
Which brand do you buy? I am looking for magnesium oil that is legit that I can use to take magnesium because oral magnesium is too difficult for my seriously ill stomach to handle most of the time.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:59 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
Which brand do you buy? I am looking for magnesium oil that is legit that I can use to take magnesium because oral magnesium is too difficult for my seriously ill stomach to handle most of the time.
I bought a bottle which was the only one brand the health food store carried which is Derma Mag. It was cheap. It cost $29.00 for an 8 oz bottle. Once I run out I will buy the mag flakes and make my own.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:01 PM
SAS Member

causes nausea and headaches
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 07:07 PM
Almost empty

My Mood: Mellow
Great thread. I use Magnesium Citrate too. It really helps lower stress. I only use it at bedtime & I chip the tablet instead of actually ingesting a certain dose. Personally I feel the recommended dose is way too high. Too much can cause diarrhea

"Let everything happen to you. Beauty & terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final" ~ Rainer Maria Rilke
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 01:31 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Chatty
I take Metagenics magnesium glycinate, 100mg tabs. It seems like the formula has been reduced to what is stated on the label though; since I have been on it over a year for RLS and severe chronic back spasms, and I used to be able to get plenty of relief with 2-3 tabs a day, and now 3-4 barely do it. 1 tab was like 2 aspirin.

It also helps with anxiety and sleep. I take one in the am and one in the afternoon if needed, and two a half hour before bed. The tabs used to be soft and now they are harder, so I don't know if it's more filler. I just want it to work! It's not too pricey and this is the chelated form that is also the easiest on the digestive tract. I highly recommend it, it is way better than a ton of ibuprofen and Robaxin for my back. Ibuprofen gave me ulcers and Robaxin screws up my head.

One panic attack at a time.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:50 AM
SAS Member

I love magnesium as a supplement for anxiety. I take it when I wake up to cut down that horrible generalized morning anxiety. I don't ever need to drink coffee to wake up in the morning, because I wake up wired with nerves especially if I have to leave my house. Mg calms my nerves and helps me function in the am. Highly recommend. An easily absorbable version is essential. I take Pure Micronutrients Magnesium Chelate 1 or 2 capsules depending how I feel.

Update: I still like magnesium, but must say l-theanine is another level effective for anxiety.

Last edited by Nelbow; 04-07-2017 at 05:15 PM. Reason: update
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:52 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelbow View Post
I love magnesium as a supplement for anxiety. I take it when I wake up to cut down that horrible generalized morning anxiety. I don't ever need to drink coffee to wake up in the morning, because I wake up wired with nerves especially if I have to leave my house. Mg calms my nerves and helps me function in the am. Highly recommend. An easily absorbable version is essential. I take Pure Micronutrients Magnesium Chelate 1 or 2 capsules depending how I feel.
I bought a powder that you put in a drink. It fizzes as it dissolves and had a cherry lemon flavor to it.

Remember, it's actually a panic attack that awakens us from deep sleep.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page