L-Theanine - Page 6 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #101 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin Rossi View Post
Hello,

I'm developing a product base on the L-theanine, a product that anyone can use on a daily base.

My question is: What is the minimum quantity that someone should take to feel the effect of the L-Theanine ?

What is the exact feeling that this person will feel ?

If you are serious about this, I think you should be aware that L-theanine by itself does not seem to have much effect according to most people. I have also found this to be true. I have tried several different brands and no matter how much I take, it doesn't seem to do anything. But if I drink a cup of tea, I definitely get the calm focus.

Something is off on the way they're making L-theanine. Even if you drink coffee with the L-thanine pills it doesn't have the same effect. Either it isn't L-theanine at all that produces this effect or it needs something else in the tea to make it work.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:03 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMan89 View Post
No problem, as for the questions about where to get the L-theanine, I just purchase mine online after reading reviews and then choosing whichever I feel is the best. You might be able to find some at a drug store, and places like cvs or rite aid. I'm not sure though since I've never personally looked there. At first L-theanine didn't do anything for me. I only took 2-400mg's, but my bottle says to take up to 1,200mg's so after about a week I began dosing at 1,200 a day and it seems to help me. It has a slight affect for me though, nothing drastic or major. Yes, phenibut interacts with benzos. I've read that it potentiates them making their effects stronger. I have experience regarding your question. I was actually taking xanax at 1mg and I built a tolerance to it to where I was taking 2-3mgs, but I wouldn't go more than that. This was back when I was going through a very desperate, foolish period, before I knew how benzo withdrawal felt. I ran out of xanax after taking it for almost two months and began benzo withdrawal. I took phenibut with the xanax on a few occasions..which was unwise on my part. After I ran out of the xanax the only thing I had was phenibut and it did help me. I still had some bad anxiety from the benzo withdrawal, but it did ease it. I wasn't taking super doses during this time. My doses were in the range of 1.5-3 grams, but no more. I'd recommend never to take large doses of phenibut, especially not every day. I never had withdrawal symptoms from phenibut until I got very stressed and took the large doses from 6-8 grams. The withdrawal is a horrible experience. Depending on your tolerance to phenibut, I'd say that whatever dose seems to help you right now would be efficient to help ease the klonopin withdrawal. You may have some insomnia problems and anxiety, depending on if you're slowly tapering off, or doing a quick taper, or if you haven't taken it very long and have to do a cold turkey withdrawal. The phenibut is definitely better than going through it with nothing at all. I'd say that I returned back to my normal state, as I was before xanax, at around 2 weeks. Oh, and I forgot to comment on the respiratory depression..yes the phenibut increases respiratory depression. If you're taking it with benzos, opiates, or any kind of depressant, it will increase the respiratory depression. Phenibut alone never caused me respiratory depression with normal doses, only with the large doses, of course we all handle substances differently. Good luck if you're planning to quit the benzo.
Thanks again good to know. I do plan to do a quick taper off of klonopin as i havent been on it long. The reason for this is im volunteering for a clinical trial for ketamine and anxiety and they want me off all psychoactive stuff. Im really quite excited to try this ketamine its the hottest thing out right now. Its supposed to be very effective for anxiety, depression, and...something else i forgot.
post #103 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Hermit

My Mood: Scared
I plan taking 0.25mg of Xanax 1-2 times max a week, I hope this would not be a problem.

post #104 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 09:36 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonPersoning View Post
Thanks again good to know. I do plan to do a quick taper off of klonopin as i havent been on it long. The reason for this is im volunteering for a clinical trial for ketamine and anxiety and they want me off all psychoactive stuff. Im really quite excited to try this ketamine its the hottest thing out right now. Its supposed to be very effective for anxiety, depression, and...something else i forgot.
You're welcome, good luck with the klonopin taper. I'd say you're making the best decision for yourself when looking at things from a long term perspective. Benzodiazepines do work very well, but honestly they aren't a solution for anxiety. They're just a short-term fix, or miracle pill, but then the effects fade and you're left with even more anxiety than before, insomnia and then the terrible withdrawal. They work great only when used once in a while when needed, like at a special occasion or big event, speech or whatever. If you run on to any problems with the klonopin withdrawal I'd be glad to help, or you could just keep us posted with your results with both the klonopin and ketamine. I hear that ketamine does work very well for some people, good luck with it.
post #105 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 09:44 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teopap View Post
I plan taking 0.25mg of Xanax 1-2 times max a week, I hope this would not be a problem.
That shouldn't be a problem, or cause you any concern for right now. 0.25 is a relatively small dosage of xanax, but of course if you increase the frequency of your usage and start using it every day then your tolerance will build up and you'll have to take more. Are you planning to take it like a few days in between doses? That would be the best. If you plan on only taking 0.25mg's once or twice a week that shouldn't be a problem for you at all, just as long as you give adequate space between your doses. For example, say you're going to have a stressful situation on Monday, if you take the xanax that day, that's fine, but the next dose should be days after that..say Friday or the weekend..that is if you do have to take it two times a week. I'm only saying to space the dose out so far to make sure your brain can regulate the normal amount of your neurotransmitters. If you start taking the doses like two days in a row or more then you may run onto problems, of course everyone's brain chemistry is different and drugs effect each one of us differently.
post #106 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 PM
SAS Member

I just wanted to clear some things up if anyone new is interested in trying L-theanine to help with their anxiety or mood. I've read where some claim that it's a placebo effect. It's not placebo, at least not for me. No, it doesn't work for everyone..that's because we're all different, we have different brain chemistry and our bodies tolerate supplements and drugs differently. I've taken quite a good bit of substances in my search for controlling my anxiety and yes, L-theanine does make a difference for me. I very well know the difference between something actually working, or having a placebo effect. I'm one that naturally believes that nothing will work..I never did have faith in any supplement. So, I'm not just popping a few L-theanine tablets and somehow convincing my brain and body that it's having an effect. L-theanine does in fact have an effect on me, my anxiety and my whole mood, as well as it does for other, but yes, there are still some that will take it and it does absolutely nothing. That's no reason to scare others from trying it. If your anxiety is bad, or you've just had enough of it, all you have to do is give it a try. You have nothing to lose in just trying it, you'll never know if it works for you if you don't take a chance on it. Like I said, it took me time to find a dose that effected my anxiety. The most I've taken is around 1,200mgs, but 600-800 works for me as well..it just depends on how stressed out I am. It does improve my mood and make me feel better overall. I don't know if it will for you, but you won't ever know unless you try it out for yourself and experiment with different doses. Just don't write off a supplement or substance just because a few people say it had no effect on them. I was however, taking a brand of L-theanine that had a blend of chamomile, lemon balm, and lavender extract..it did produce some effect, but only in the higher doses. I also had a product containing the suntheanine L-theanine and I found it to be much better and more potent than the other. Who knows if the other brand with the blend even had pure L-theanine in it. I'd just say to stay clear of the ones that do not have the suntheanine type in them. If you're going to try this supplement, I'd recommend only trying the suntheanine L-Theanine products.
post #107 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Yes alcohol does make me feel less anxious in social situations, but alas not too much is not so good. One to 1.5 glasses of wine is great to help me feel a bit better, but I am not falling down on the ground. Is there a medication that can make me feel like I drank 1 to 1.5 glasses wine minus all the side effects of most meds and also of alcohol, hmmmmm.....
post #108 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1e2 View Post
Yes alcohol does make me feel less anxious in social situations, but alas not too much is not so good. One to 1.5 glasses of wine is great to help me feel a bit better, but I am not falling down on the ground. Is there a medication that can make me feel like I drank 1 to 1.5 glasses wine minus all the side effects of most meds and also of alcohol, hmmmmm.....
Phenibut can make you feel more relaxed. It can feel very similar to a benzodiazepine..mainly like valium in normal doses. Phenibut can also make you feel drunk and off balance if you take too high of a dose without a tolerance to it, and then you'll eventually vomit it out of your system. I'd advise you to read over my warning posts and experience with phenibut and other peoples experience with it. If you ever take phenibut you absolutely have to respect it, do not take it every day and don't take it in excessively high doses. It will severely mess you up. The withdrawal from this drug is absolutely horrible. There's a reason why it's solely a prescription drug in Russia and other parts of Europe. Yes, it does work, and it can work very well, but you have to respect it and take it in reasonable doses and only like once a week. The tolerance to phenibut builds very very quickly. As for me, I hate drinking alcohol if I'm using it to try to cope with anxiety or be social. I don't like the brain fog and the clumsiness it can bring. I guess this is because I'm so used to other drugs and substances that can help me relax and stay very focused. You can try some suntheanine L-theanine..it may take a few tries to find the right dose, or it may not work for you, you never know until you try. Picamilon also works for some, but you only want to take that spaced out as well. Lower doses of Picamilon are supposed to be more relaxing..like 50mg, higher doses of 150mg up to 300mg is supposed to be more of a stimulant like effect, but also relaxed. As for me, I think picamilon absolutely sucks. Of the times I've tried it it makes me feel out of it and sleepy, nothing positive. Both phenibut and picamilon was created in Russia during the late 1960's. Picamilon is bound to niacin, that's how it crosses the blood brain barrier, phenibut has an added phenyl ring and that's how it crosses the bbb. Since Gaba alone has a very difficult time crossing the blood brain barrier, these supplement, or drugs, have to have a carrier that will allow them to cross. The phenyl ring that's bound to the gaba molecule that makes up Phenibut, binds to your Gaba-b receptors. If you ever take this drug I will warn you to only take it every once in a while to avoid tolerance and withdrawal.
post #109 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 PM
SAS Member

It worked

I took L-Theanine for the first time today. I am currently experiencing some anxiety from lexapro withdrawl... so I took about 230 mg this morning. I was driving to work and forgot that I took it. I was a bit anxious then it seemed like all of the sudden a clam washed over me, and I did feel a bit tired but super calm and relaxed! I was really amazed I have tried a lot of natural remedies most I don't really know if they do anything or not but this one really worked but only for about 4 hours... I read that it can last up to 12 hours?? Is that typical? anyhow I am going to try it again tomorrow and see if I get the same results. Does it work like this for anyone else?
post #110 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBeer View Post
I took L-Theanine for the first time today. I am currently experiencing some anxiety from lexapro withdrawl... so I took about 230 mg this morning. I was driving to work and forgot that I took it. I was a bit anxious then it seemed like all of the sudden a clam washed over me, and I did feel a bit tired but super calm and relaxed! I was really amazed I have tried a lot of natural remedies most I don't really know if they do anything or not but this one really worked but only for about 4 hours... I read that it can last up to 12 hours?? Is that typical? anyhow I am going to try it again tomorrow and see if I get the same results. Does it work like this for anyone else?
L-theanine has worked for me ever since I started taking it. I can notice the effects it has on my anxiety and my overall mood in general, but I don't take a low dosage as you do.

I usually take anywhere from 600-1200mg's. It just depends on the day and how much stress I'm under. I've also read that the effects can last from 8-12 hours. Of course over time some of the effects would diminish a little bit, so maybe it is still doing something positive in your brain and it's just so slight that it's not very noticeable, or maybe it's just that it only works for 4 hours period for you.

Drugs and any substance all effect each of us differently. What helps you and me, may not help the rest of people. I've researched L-theanine and many many other drugs and substances. I've come across several articles that claim that L-theanine will only have a noticeable effect in individuals who are currently anxious or going through a stressful period. It states that a lot of times some people won't notice its effects if they're already relaxed and not anxious.

Of course I think that would depend on what dose these people are taking or if this was even evaluated during a clinical trail setting or not. I'm assuming that if it was, these people were only taking around 200mg's which is supposed to be the starting dosage that will produce effects for people. I'm not so sure how reliable those statements are, but I do know that it helps me.

I can notice a difference in the days I take it and the days that I don't. I'm going to be experimenting with lower doses in the next few days to find out what is the lowest possible dose that I can take to still produce a positive effect. I'll be writing my experiences in a daily journal.

How long have you been going through the lexapro withdrawal? Are you, or were you tapering the dose? That's great that it had a positive effect during the withdrawal. Most if not all of the articles that I've read seem to claim that L-theanine will not make you drowsy. It does make me drowsy in certain doses and I gave my brother some suntheanine l-theanine one day for him to try for a first time and he experienced drowsiness with a dose of around 600-800mg's. I definitely think that it can produce a calm, relaxed state with drowsiness due to L-theanine increasing the overall Gaba concentrations throughout the body.
post #111 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:32 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMan89 View Post
L-theanine has worked for me ever since I started taking it. I can notice the effects it has on my anxiety and my overall mood in general, but I don't take a low dosage as you do.

I usually take anywhere from 600-1200mg's. It just depends on the day and how much stress I'm under. I've also read that the effects can last from 8-12 hours. Of course over time some of the effects would diminish a little bit, so maybe it is still doing something positive in your brain and it's just so slight that it's not very noticeable, or maybe it's just that it only works for 4 hours period for you.

Drugs and any substance all effect each of us differently. What helps you and me, may not help the rest of people. I've researched L-theanine and many many other drugs and substances. I've come across several articles that claim that L-theanine will only have a noticeable effect in individuals who are currently anxious or going through a stressful period. It states that a lot of times some people won't notice its effects if they're already relaxed and not anxious.

Of course I think that would depend on what dose these people are taking or if this was even evaluated during a clinical trail setting or not. I'm assuming that if it was, these people were only taking around 200mg's which is supposed to be the starting dosage that will produce effects for people. I'm not so sure how reliable those statements are, but I do know that it helps me.

I can notice a difference in the days I take it and the days that I don't. I'm going to be experimenting with lower doses in the next few days to find out what is the lowest possible dose that I can take to still produce a positive effect. I'll be writing my experiences in a daily journal.

How long have you been going through the lexapro withdrawal? Are you, or were you tapering the dose? That's great that it had a positive effect during the withdrawal. Most if not all of the articles that I've read seem to claim that L-theanine will not make you drowsy. It does make me drowsy in certain doses and I gave my brother some suntheanine l-theanine one day for him to try for a first time and he experienced drowsiness with a dose of around 600-800mg's. I definitely think that it can produce a calm, relaxed state with drowsiness due to L-theanine increasing the overall Gaba concentrations throughout the body.

Hey thanks for letting me know about your experience!.. I have been tapering from lexapro for about 6 months... I have been going VERY slow.. I do not want any withdraw effects.. I just made to big of a jump about a month back which is about how long it takes for symptoms to show up.. I usually do not have much anxiety but from SSRI withdraw I do apparently.. still having mild anxiety earlier today but now I am drinking beer that is not an issue ... I suppose I might try a higher dosage... I just do not want to get to much tolerance... you seem like you have used it quite a bit... does tolerance build? I am going to try Lemon Balm also heard a lot of good things about that... unfortunately beer seems to be the only thing for me that is always golden... anyhow let me know!
post #112 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 05:30 PM
SAS Member

Liftmode L-Theanine

I bought my L-Theanine (50 grams) on Liftmode, it came with a scoop and a lab report and seemed to be of pretty nice quality. I tried the reccomended dosage of 200mg the first day and I noticed a slight decrease in anxiety and slight increase of calmness. However, the main difference showed up in doses of 400mg or more. I would definitley reccomend L-Theanine for anxiety and depression and even for focus as it helped as a study aid for me personally. Liftmode has pretty good quality L-Theanine and I use it daily.

Never Give Up Cause Know That There is Something In You Greater Than any Obstacle in Life
post #113 of 152 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 01:13 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBeer View Post
Hey thanks for letting me know about your experience!.. I have been tapering from lexapro for about 6 months... I have been going VERY slow.. I do not want any withdraw effects.. I just made to big of a jump about a month back which is about how long it takes for symptoms to show up.. I usually do not have much anxiety but from SSRI withdraw I do apparently.. still having mild anxiety earlier today but now I am drinking beer that is not an issue ... I suppose I might try a higher dosage... I just do not want to get to much tolerance... you seem like you have used it quite a bit... does tolerance build? I am going to try Lemon Balm also heard a lot of good things about that... unfortunately beer seems to be the only thing for me that is always golden... anyhow let me know!
That's a very good idea to taper as slow as you can. A withdrawal of any kind is bound to cause us some anxiety. I know what you mean about not wanting any of the withdrawal effects. You shouldn't have any issues with the slow taper that you're doing, you may have slight withdrawal, but nothing anywhere near the withdrawals you'd have doing a cold turkey withdrawal or fast taper, you may not have any withdrawals at all and hopefully you won't. Even if you do they should be very slight and nothing of concern. As for the L-theanine I haven't noticed any tolerance buildup. I've read many articles of people claiming that it doesn't build tolerance, but who knows what doses they were on and how long they were on it. I just don't believe that a persons body will never build a tolerance..rather it be a months or use or years of use.

I just cannot believe that if you're supplementing anything into your body that you will not eventually develop a tolerance to that particular substance. If you're adding something into your body and it is producing effects it only makes sense to me that a person would develop tolerance to it's effects. At what dosage or time frame this happens, I have no idea because I could never find anything on that. I myself was worried about tolerance buildup and I was thinking about just taking it during the week and maybe taking breaks on the weekends, or just taking it whenever I really need it.

I have however taken it every single day for months and I haven't noticed a diminish in effects. The Chinese and other Asian cultures have drank green tea throughout the day for thousands of years and they still hold it in high regard for it's effects and calming properties. Now, the concentrations of the amounts of L-theanine in green and black tea can vary depending on the type of tea and the quality but I'm pretty sure the tea coming from Asian cultures are all of high quality. I'd check into the lemon balm too. I actually started with a supplement that contained L-theanine, lemon balm, chamomile, and lavender extract. It was Sundown naturals L-theanine stress formula. I got it at a local drug store. I've read all about lemon balm and chamomile and most other herbal substances that can aid in anxiety.

That product did produce a calming effect for me. As for the beer, I'd say use whatever works for you during this stressful time. I went through many different stages with alcohol as I've posted on some other forums. As soon as I turned 21 I drank hardcore. I would always have beer in my refrigerator, at least two or three twelve packs or a 30 pack. As well as whiskey, vodka, and the rest of the hard stuff. I'd say I spent way too much on alcohol during that period of my life, but it was a learning experience. For some reason, now whenever I drink a few beers..like maybe 5-6, the next day I will have anxiety and nervousness..I never had this before, but of course during my binges when I was younger I was also stoned out on tramadol and other opiates. I was young and stupid, that's all there is to it. Alcohol depletes serotonin in the brain and tramadol releases serotonin, that's what made me stop drinking.

I still drink a few beers every now and then. If beer helps you and it doesn't cause anxiety, go ahead and do whatever works at this stage. One of the binding sites in the brain for alcohol is Gaba-A, the same as benzodiazepines so it will help with anxiety as long as it doesn't deplete your brain chemicals roo much and cause an imbalance. Good luck with the rest of your taper.
post #114 of 152 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Member of SAS

My Mood: Dead
For the first time today I took a much higher dose of L-Theanine as opposed to the last two low-dose times I've taken it, and I'll say I'm very confused about its effects. Instead of taking the typical 2 capsule dosage (200 mg L-Theanine, 100 mg Green Tea Leaf), I took 6 capsules right before a stress-inducing event (total of 1,200 mg L-Theanine and 600 mg Green Tea Leaf) and somehow it relieved my anxiety to a definite, noticeable extent while simultaneously making me hyper/more anxious. It was very strange. It seemed that I was calmer in my old ways but made me anxious in a different way; it felt like I was on a caffeine-binge which is why I barely drink caffeine but yet I was still in a much calmer state of mind than normal. Could it have been the Green Tea Leaf in the capsules which probably had caffeine in it? I must also mention that I took 6 Magnesium Glycinate capsules along with these which makes it even more difficult to sort out what could have happened here. I'll most likely need to do some experimenting by taking only the Theanine and not the Magnesium next time, but all in all, it was a strange experience. I can't even tell if I liked it or disliked it. I'm aware Suntheanine is the most preferred form of L-Theanine but I'm pretty sure these took enough effect in me. From what I know, Solaray is a reputable company. --

http://www.vitacost.com/solaray-l-th...arian-capsules

If I can't be my own
I'd feel better dead

-AIC
post #115 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:33 PM
SAS Member

Just bought L-theanine for the first time today. I'll see how/if it works and let everyone know my experience.
post #116 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 12:09 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
I strongly recommend bypassing the pills and going straight to tea. You might have to experiment before you find the tea that has the strongest effect on you personally. I find different teas have a different effect. Even different teas of the same kind.

It's not as easy as a pill to steep and drink several cups of tea within a few hours but if you get the right one, you'll definitely notice. I tried the pills over and over (different brands) and I just didn't notice much. The few times when I did, it wasn't consistently repeatable.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #117 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 02:18 PM
SAS Member

I take ~200mg of L-Theanine plus tea spoon of coconut oil with my coffee couple times a day. Not sure about L-Theanine being a anxiolytic but it definitely clears my mind and works more like a nootropic. All coffee drinkers should add L-Theanine to their cup imo...
post #118 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 04:47 PM
klaas

for four years I have been failing my classes this because I couldn't function in a group. in class I never talked cause I didn't wanted to look like a nerd.
But my perception of life as a whole has changed for more than 1 year, and yes u can gues it for one year I am on l-theanine(not everyday at most 3 times a week).

Where I first didn't wanted to look like a nerd, now I don't care anymore. and the funny thing is people like the nerdy. after four years I can proudly say I passed my first year. i do have to say i take it with caffeine. for the dosage i follow this sitehttp://theaninezone.com/
for the people who don' get result, i can highly recommend trying another brand l-theanine or as earlier said taking it with tea. you will get there !
post #119 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:02 AM
SAS Member

I take L-theanine in doses of 200mg 4 times a day, its very nice and subtle I notice afhter 30min+ a sudden subtle rush of calmness...but afhter that its feels like a placebo because its so subtle but you defenitly feel a subtle change afhter 30min of ingesting it on an empty stomach
post #120 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:47 PM
SAS Member

Anyone know a laymans mechanism of action for l theanine? I think others would find that interesting as well.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page