Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Supplements (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f56/)
-   -   L-Theanine (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f56/l-theanine-84143/)

Helena_SAS 02-26-2010 01:09 PM

L-Theanine

Theanine is an amino acid commonly found in tea, and also in the basidiomycete mushroom Boletus badius. Theanine is related to glutamine, and can cross the blood-brain barrier .Because it can enter the brain, theanine has psychoactive properties. Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress, may produce feelings of relaxation and improves cognition and mood when taken in combination with caffeine.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theanine

Helena_SAS 03-01-2010 01:39 PM

Immune

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Micliph
Social Anxiety Background
Severe/extreme social anxiety for 2 years.

Other Treatments
Citalopram.
Mirtazapine.
and a lot of other stuff.

Treatment Experience
I've bought 60 caps of 100mg "pharmaceutical-grade and scientifically supported" L-Theanine, and I have eaten almost all of them so far.

I have eaten up to 500mgs (5 caps) and still couldn't feel any anxiety reduction, so either this is so mild I can't feel it or I am just immune to the stuff.

Guess I won't buy them again because I think L-theanine is quite expensive and it doesnt work for me I think...

Helena_SAS 03-01-2010 01:40 PM

nor so good

Posted by jakeforpresident
disabilitating generalized SA

Other Treatments
Everything

Treatment Experience
L-Theanine is very mild and innocuous. It may help with rest and relaxation a little but not even as well as antihistamines do. Picamillon or Phenibut even seem to work better.

Helena_SAS 03-01-2010 01:40 PM

Helps with Sleeping

Posted by njwood60
Severe general anxiety disorder and social anxiety. All my life. Also mild autism spectrum disorder

Other Treatments
Psychiatric treatment for the past 2 and a half years

Tyrosine
Turmeric (just started - will report more later)

Tried one Mao inhibiter but it made me too nauseous

Treatment Experience
I found L-theanine has a huge effect on my sleeping. I have always slept 9 to 10 hours a night and quite often still did not feel as though I had enough sleep

Now I take 100mg of L-theanine when I go to bed and another 100mg when I wake in the middle of the night to go to the toilet. I split the dose as I don't ghink it quite lasts 8 hours.

Now I need an hour LESS sleep every night and I feel a lot more rested during the day. This has helped me gain another hour of life every day.

I did try L-theanine during the day and it does not help at all with the social anxiety I have during the day, only with sleeping.

grigori 08-03-2010 09:35 AM

Didn't work for me.
Over the course of 2 weeks I tried different dosages but nothing had much of an effect. One day I took 5g at once which is 25 times the dose that is supposed to have an effect on most people (200mg). I felt a bit relaxed, but not enough for it to even come close to helping with SA.

PeopleAreStrange 08-03-2010 11:55 AM

I find theanine significantly effective for anxiety. Through green tea... maybe like B vitamins it is less effective in pill form?

Rubisco 11-20-2010 02:22 PM

L-theanine per se doesn't do much as far as stabilizing my mood or anxiety, but I did discover it has other indirect advantages. When I take it (especially with a cup of coffee), I find I become very alert, clearheaded, and able to hyperfocus on my studies. So, in a way, it helps with my anxiety because I can take my mind off of it while I study.

rrhxiv 12-26-2010 02:10 PM

I tried this stuff pure L theanine and Theanine Serene with source naturals...it seemed to only make me real sleepy and stuff

MBL 01-13-2011 06:16 AM

I found a product containing L-Theanine, 5-HTP and a low dose of melatonin. Think that'd help with my sleep??? I wake up multiple times a night, have night terrors (moderate) and sleep paralysis (severe). Any other suggestions for treatment? I am going to be evaluated in a sleep lab/clinic too.

Any advice? L-Theanine worth buying? Please feel free to IM me.

CopadoMexicano 01-13-2011 12:01 PM

L-theanine found in gatorade focus helps me relax and the depression is lifted.

Giraffe 01-13-2011 10:50 PM

I felt absolutely no different when I took L-Theanine, no matter the dose.

rubyruby 01-14-2011 09:57 AM

Very, very stimulating. I only took 100 mg.

bobalo 03-21-2011 11:56 PM

nothing

AEB 05-25-2011 01:51 PM

The only way for the L-Theanine to take a noticeable effect is if you brain waves are not inline. For those people not noticing any effect that means your brain waves are inline. I would also look to make sure that the L-Theanine you are taking is Suntheanine which is the only true pure form of this amino acid. All other manufactures produce this amino acid via chemicals which is completely different than all the research and information you will find out there because it has been conducted on Suntheanine.

Addler 05-25-2011 07:28 PM

I tried L-theanine during the day but noticed no effect. I've been having a ridiculously hard time sleeping lately, so last night, I combined 900 mg valerian, 10 mg melatonin, and 200 mg L-theanine. That worked. Slept solid and don't remember any dreams. But I woke up with my eyes feeling prickly, which lasted about an hour.

prudence 06-22-2011 12:35 PM

I take 400mg of L-theanine daily. I used to become mega anxious when driving and pretty much anytime I was put in a new situation. Now, even at my most stressful time (driving), I stay calm and together. Just to note, I also take magnessium/calcium and practice meditation in the morning.

mr t 06-26-2011 11:18 PM

helped at first and then gained tolerance

popeet 06-27-2011 04:52 AM

I love the effects of L-theanine by itself. It works well for my ADHD and with sitting meditation. However, I have problems (inflammation, joint pain and other problems) from the microcrystalline cellulose used as a filler, though. Additionally, if I take too much I feel too alert and unable to rest.

kaitisawesome 07-22-2011 01:45 AM

Like one of the other commenters, I take Source Naturals brand Theanine Serene. I can't tell you if it's the theanine since this has several ingredients, but it definitely does calm me (not 100%, but I only take half the dose, so).

This has Magnesium, GABA, and Theanine, which I know are all supposed to help with anxiety/mood, and a couple other things I haven't heard of (Taurine--isn't that in energy drinks?, Relora, and Holy Basil Leaf Extract).

The main downside to me is that the pills are pretty big, so it's sometimes hard to swallow. Also sometimes I get this weird tightening in my chest. I get it from Xanax too.

I'm still looking for something stronger. I'll try the full dose and if that doesn't work, I'll try Phenibut or Kava Kava. Or Xanax. I love the euphoric feeling it gives but I'm terrified I'll get addicted. I've only had it a few times ever and I already wish I could take it every day.

Paragon 07-22-2011 05:57 AM

I use l-theanine occasionally. It seems to help, not a lot, but anything that gives a slight effect without any issues is a good thing imo.